Cheap Christmas flight deals to Australia for 2020
Spend Christmas in the land down under for an incredible summer yuletide.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Christmas time in Australia is the peak of summer, when the beaches are bustling, the sun is shining and the weather is perfect.
Whether you’re heading to Australia during the holidays for much-needed time away from the cold, or are helping book tickets for a family member abroad to visit you in Australia, there are a few ways to save on these usually expensive flights - especially when they're left to the last minute.
Search for Christmas flights to Australia
Compare hundreds of airlines and booking sites to get the best fares to Australia at Christmastime by using the search below:
Latest flight deals to Australia over Christmas
When is the best time to book Christmas flights to Australia?
For the best price, book four to five months in advance, around August or September.
Generally speaking, you should have some more time to book if you're flying from closer destinations such as New Zealand or Hong Kong. The longer the flight, the more time in advance people tend to book, which drives prices up. So be ahead of the game.
- From Europe. Fly out of London to Sydney in the first week of December for amazing deals. Return flights are similar in price and are a bargain if you fly out just after Christmas or after 15 January.
- From New Zealand. Book departure flights from Auckland to Sydney in early December to score an awesome deal. Return flights unfortunately aren’t as cheap, but are more affordable when flying out after 30 December, avoiding New Year's Eve.
- From Singapore. Flying from Singapore to Sydney in December gives you many options, with cheap flights until 20 December available. Return flights peak around Christmas but drop slightly on 30–31 December. The cheapest return flights are 9 January or later.
- From Hong Kong. Book departure flights anytime during the month of December from Hong Kong to Sydney for great deals. Choose to fly out before 18 December for low fares. Return flights are best between Boxign Day and New Years.
- From USA. From North America, opt to fly from Los Angeles to Sydney and you’ll find the best prices in the first week of December. Return flights are cheapest on Christmas Day or 27 December. Flight prices peak after New Year’s Day, so fly home later in the month for better prices.
Tips and tricks for getting cheap Christmas flights to Australia
Top tips to help you book international long-haul flights to Australia for Christmas.
- Fly from cheaper cities. In Europe and North America, flying out of a larger airport can make a big difference to the price. If you have the option, fly with a budget airline to a larger airport and then book your main ticket to Australia from cities such as Los Angeles, New York City or Vancouver in North America. Paris, Rome and London are some of the cheapest cities to fly out of in Europe.
- Fly on lower-star airlines. It may not be ideal to fly budget airlines on long-haul flights but it could save you hundreds. Some less luxurious airlines that fly to Australia are China Eastern, China Southern and Asiana Airlines.
- Use search tools. Skyscanner has an incredibly useful feature that allows you to compare prices every day throughout the month. Changing your departure or return date even by a day could save you hundreds.
- Fly longer for cheaper. It may not be the most desirable flight itinerary but choosing trips with longer layovers or more stops can save you big-time on flight prices. Some layovers may even be long enough to allow you to explore cities such as Hong Kong or Singapore on your way to or from Australia.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Virgin Australia Business Reward discount: What’s on offer
Is a 30% saving on reward seats really worth it? We crunched the numbers.
Amazon Prime Day watch deals 2020
Check out the latest and greatest deals on watches up for grabs during this year’s Amazon Prime Day event.
The latest Jetstar sale has you scoring a $75 domestic bargain
EXPIRED: Say g'day to South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.
Amazon Prime Day 2020 Australia: Sneak peek of the top deals
This is where you can find your first official preview of the Amazon Prime Day 2020 Australia deals.
Amazon Prime Day luxury beauty deals 2020
If you’re looking for Amazon Prime Day luxury beauty deals, we’ve got all the info you need to know.
Amazon Daily Deals for 25th October 2020
Every day, Finder rounds up the biggest discounts on Amazon Australia. Here are today's best deals for online bargain hunters.
Airbnb Black Friday deals for 2020
Airbnb coupons and deals for Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2020 .
Amazon Prime Day health and personal care deals 2020
If you’re looking to save on health and personal care items with an Amazon Prime Day deal, we’ve got all the info you need to know.
Amazon Prime Day camera deals 2020
If you’re looking to save on your next camera purchase with an Amazon Prime Day camera deal, we’ve got all the info you need to know.
Ask an Expert