10 of the cheapest places to travel on the Australian dollar in 2018
The destinations where Aussies can get the most bang for their buck.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Where 2016 was marred by flash crashes with the British pound falling near parity with the Euro and the Swiss Franc taking a tumble, 2017 remained relatively unscathed by any major economic changes.
Despite this, the Australian dollar still grew stronger against numerous countries.
Of these, the North Korean won took the greatest hit, falling by 650% against the Aussie dollar with the Uzbekistani som coming up second, weakening by 171%.
Travelling on a budget this year? We compared currencies worldwide to see where the dollar saw the greatest growth in the past year to determine the hottest destinations to visit where your dollars will go the furthest.
For the purposes of travel, we've excluded areas deemed unsafe for Australians, such as North Korea, Uzbekistan and Syria from our shortlist. You can see the full list of currency changes between 1 January 2017 and 1 January 2018 as sourced from xe.com further down.
10 of the cheapest currencies for Australians in 2018
1. Argentine peso: 26.31% more per dollar
2. Ghanaian cedi: 14.92% more per dollar
3. Seychellois rupee: 13.91% more per dollar
4. Sri Lankan rupee: 11.98% more per dollar
5. Maldivian rufiyaa: 10.67% more per dollar
6. Lao kip: 10.57% more per dollar
7. Brazilian real: 10.47% more per dollar
8. Cambodian riel: 9.92% more per dollar
9. Philippine peso: 9.56% more per dollar
10. Hong Kong dollar: 9.42% more per dollar
For the third year running, we're seeing the Argentine peso falling, cementing it as one of the prime destinations to visit for next to nix.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra 312 pesos. That's enough to cover your admission ticket to Iguazu Falls
- What are flight prices like? With Air New Zealand and LATAM offering flights to Argentina, it's now more affordable to explore South America. On sale, flights can fall to $1,079 return.
- How much do I need? Check out our quick and easy guide to travel money in South America to see how affordable your full true works out to be.
With its picturesque coastal landscape, rich wildlife and colonial architecture, Ghana is a safari for the senses.
It's considered one of the most stable countries in West Africa due to its wealth and colonial independence.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra 45.64 cedi, which equates to one extra coffee when you're in town.
- What are flight prices like? Being a less frequented route, flights to Accra, Ghana, are priced at $1,800+ return flying luxury airlines such as Ethiopian Airlines, Qantas and Singapore Airlines.
- How much do I need? Check out our guide to travel money in South Africa for top money options and to see how much you'll need to bring with you on your trip.
Paradise unparalleled is just one way to describe the arresting island destination of Seychelles. Comprised of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean, it's a place for relaxation and romance and its currency has taken a dip this year making it that much more affordable.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra 133.84 Seychellois rupees. That's enough to buy you two tickets to a movie or a meal at a fast food restaurant.
- What are flight prices like? Seychelles flights can start from $1,067 when departing from Perth. However, these cheap flights do come with multiple connections and a longer journey time. For the price though, it could be worth it.
4. Sri Lanka
Home to acclaimed beaches, ancient Buddhist ruins and untouched forest, with the Sri Lankan rupee currently weaker against the Aussie dollar, now's as good a time as any to explore this exotic location.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra 1,282 rupees. That's enough for a swanky meal in a hotel restaurant.
- What are flight prices like? During a sale, flights to Sri Lanka can drop to $300+ return on a budget airline like AirAsia making this a more than affordable destination.
- How much do I need? Suss out the full cost of your trip plus grab your travel money before you take off with our Sri Lanka travel money guide.
5. The Maldives
It's getting cheaper and cheaper to experience life on the other side with the Maldivian rufiyaa now cheaper against the Australian dollar.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra MVR116.26 which is enough to cover lunch or three local ferry rides.
- What are flight prices like? Thanks to budget airlines like AirAsia, when on sale, flights to the Maldives can cost little over $400 return. Who says luxurious islands have to cost the world?
Take a step back to discover the local history, cuisine and beauty of this breathtaking Asian country. Now more budget friendly than last year.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra LAK62,172. That's enough to cover your private arrival transfer from airport to hotel.
- What are flight prices like? Flights to Laos can start from $750 return on budget airlines.
Colourful costumes, lauded beaches and panoramic views are yours for less this year when you put your dollars against the Brazilian real.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100, you're getting an extra BRL24.54 which covers the cost of your ticket to the Landmark of the Three Frontiers.
- What are flight prices like? When on sale, flights to Brazil can drop to under $1,000 return on airlines such as Qantas. Keep your eyes peeled for the bargains to win big this year.
- How much money do I need? Work out the full cost of your trip, including where to score the best travel money cards, here.
Tick Angkor Wat off your bucket list this year thanks to cheap currency exchange rates and bargain airfares.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100 you're getting an extra KHR28,526 which can take care of your airport transfer or a Cambodian liquor workshop visit and tasting with extra to spare.
- What are flight prices like? When there's a budget airline sale round, you can find flights to Cambodia from $307 return from Australia.
- How much money do I need? Use our Cambodia travel money guide to work out the cost of your trip and order your money.
The search for the world's best beaches is over with the Philippines within easy reach while staying easy on the pocket.
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100 you're getting an extra PHP314. Depending on how good your haggling skills are, this could score you a unique souvenir or a guided tour of San Sebastian Basilica with a touch to spare to give as a tip.
- What are flight prices like? You can spoil yourself there and back with full service flights for under $500 when on sale with Philippine Airlines. Keep your ear to the ground for sale fares for the biggest discounts.
- How much money do I need?
10. Hong Kong
Shop, eat, explore repeat. What else would you do in Hong Kong, amirite? Especially now that you've got that much more to spend on fashion and food!
- How much am I saving? For every AUD$100 you're getting an extra HKD52.68. Use this to take an organised tour of the nightlife with a local.
- What are flight prices like? You can generally get return flights to Hong Kong for $500-700 when on sale, on a full service carrier or less flying budget.
- How much money do I need? Work out the cost of your trip and get your money sorted before you leave with the help of our Hong Kong travel money guide.
Currency exchange rate increases between 2017 and 2018
|Currency||Units per AUD (2017)||Units per AUD (2018)||Percentage more per dollar|
|North Korean Won||93.75929798||703.7932554||650.6383587|
|Sierra Leonean Leone||3936.986||5997.182377||52.32927873|
|Costa Rican Colon||394.1812557||445.4206315||12.9989377|
|Sri Lankan Rupee||106.936176||119.7656622||11.99733029|
|Papua New Guinean Kina||2.28827856||2.515849123||9.945055072|
|Hong Kong Dollar||5.58637782||6.112648993||9.420615472|
|Aruban or Dutch Guilder||1.289516||1.399801714||8.552489011|
|Barbadian or Bajan Dollar||1.4408||1.564024262||8.552489006|
|Cuban Convertible Peso||0.7204||0.7820121308||8.552489006|
|East Caribbean Dollar||1.945080034||2.111432494||8.552473783|
|Saudi Arabian Riyal||2.70189622||2.932545491||8.536570313|
|Solomon Islander Dollar||5.63252883||6.073190567||7.823514984|
|New Zealand Dollar||1.039988451||1.100719494||5.839588194|
|IMF Special Drawing Rights||0.5358796254||0.5487670602||2.404912258|
|Chinese Yuan Renminbi||5.00296188||5.086163079||1.663038842|
|Taiwan New Dollar||23.3593302||23.17579781||-0.785692011|
|Falkland Island Pound||0.5838398574||0.5785966357||-0.8980581976|
|Saint Helenian Pound||0.5838398574||0.5785966357||-0.8980581976|
|Isle of Man Pound||0.5838398574||0.5785966357||-0.8980581976|
|South African Rand||9.890702984||9.681298511||-2.117184928|
|South Korean Won||869.710104||833.7676215||-4.132696899|
|Sao Tomean Dobra||16788.5618||16027.74769||-4.531740817|
|Bosnian Convertible Marka||1.339362234||1.273456379||-4.920689359|
|Central African CFA Franc BEAC||449.202657||427.0987896||-4.920689363|
|Cape Verdean Escudo||75.55555002||71.79766895||-4.973666484|
Images: Shutterstock and Pixabay
More guides on Finder
5 cheapest places to visit when Australia’s international borders reopen
See which overseas destinations have the cheapest flights in January.
NordicTrack Commercial 1750 Treadmill review: A heavy duty fitness investment
You've got to have plenty of space and a passion for fitness to invest in the NordicTrack Commercial 1750 Treadmill. If you do, however, you get a robust machine that can make some serious improvements to your fitness.
COVID-19 lockdown: Get 65% off face masks here
Here's where to get affordable face masks fast online.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
Razer Blade 14 2021 review: Incredible power comes with a cost
The Razer Blade 14 2021 gives you an astonishing quantity of gaming power in such a small laptop, although like most premium gaming laptops, it's at a price that some may find challenging.
Under Armour Flow Velociti Wind review: New era for running shoes?
Putting the Under Armour shoe technology gobbledegook to one side, the reality is these are the most comfortable, best performing running shoes I’ve ever used.
Best 2-player card games in Australia
We’ve found the 6 best 2-player card games you can get right now in Australia.
Binance Smart Chain (BSC) beginner’s guide
How to get started on Binance's DeFi-optimised blockchain, including how to use it, what you can do on BSC and pros and cons.
Best board games for kids in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and ratings to find the 10 best board games for kids you can get in Australia right now.
Best board games for adults in Australia
These are the 8 best board games for adults you can get right now in Australia.
Ask an Expert