The shoeaholic’s guide to buying cheap shoes online
Bookmark this page for the best retailers to buy your shoes from and details on how to be a savvy shopper by nabbing bargains and coupon codes to fuel your footwear addiction.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Paging all self-confessed shoe addicts – and those in denial.
Newsflash: shoe addiction is a REAL thing. Whilst a growing collection in a closet and decreasing space on the floor-drobe is the ultimate giveaway, Urban Dictionary defines a shoeaholic as someone who “owns more than 60 pairs of shoes.” Challenge accepted.
Take a look at any of the obvious offenders: style icon/IT-girl Olivia Palermo, any of the Kardashians and stylist to the stars Rachel Zoe. These women all know shoes. Lucky for you, so do we.
Read on to find out the best way to add to your growing collection, while sticking to a budget.
Tips and tricks you need to cut down your shoe-shopping expenses and master the art of buying cheap shoes online:
Let’s get clear on one fact: a cheap pair of shoes is not always something of bad quality. Cheap-talk can mean buying quality products on sale, making the right decisions by avoiding impulse purchases and basically, being a super-savvy shopper.
For example, a $20 pair of sandals that falls apart after one wear is not a win. However, a $20 pair of sandals you find on sale in the last size bucket is. By practising efficient shopping methods you can save cash in the long run, allowing you to buy the next must-have pair.
- Shoes-wisely a.k.a be strategic in your shoe purchases. We all want the Manolo's but do we really need the Manolo's and can you actually afford them? Brands likeTony Bianco, Siren and Diavolina as well as retailers like ASOS and Topshop bring out new styles each season mimicking the big designers and trends straight from the runway. They’re good quality and affordable. Get the look at a fraction of the price.
- Have a clear shoe-shopping list and budget. Sticking to your budget and acknowledging what you need are key factors. Write down what your shoe collection is missing and how much you can afford each month/week/day. Here’s the kicker: you’ve got to stick to it. We’re not saying the occasional love-at-first sight pair of heels should be passed by - remember, we’re addicts too. But stick to your plan for the most part. Further down you’ll find a guide to the essentials for every shoe-lover.
- Don’t buy sale shoes just because. Sure, they’re cheap but in the long run having shoes you don’t need or wear will add up (and cost valuable floor-drobe space!).
- Know your measurements. Put a piece of paper on the ground, draw around your foot and measure the length and width. If you’re a first time buyer from a particular brand or retailer check these against the size guides to make an informed decision.
- Shop around – the internet is your oyster. It pays to research and compare between retailers. You might find a similar style at a cheaper price.
- Mark sale periods in your calendar. Click Frenzy falls on November 17 this year (2015), the annual Vogue Online Shopping Night (VOSN) held in May is a big one on the fashion calendar, Boxing Day sales - which funnily enough - start before Christmas for online retailers (THE ICONIC do a good job around this time of year), the four-times per year mid-season sales and our favourite End of Financial Year period all need to be noted.
- Buy in bulk. Hold your horses - we mean with your friends. If you’re buying from an international retailer that charges for shipping, rally your girlfriends and process a group order. Sites like ASOS , Nasty Gal and Topshop have free shipping over a certain amount, so you can save $5-$19 this way each time you shop. You don’t want to find your dream pair of shoes on sale only to be hit with a shipping cost that's more than the shoes themselves.
- Be in the loop with retailers. Subscribe to newsletters and be the first to know about promotions, discounts and sales. Another source is other women. Ask your friends to let you know the next time they hear of a flash sale, and return the favour when you're in the know.
- Shop using coupons and codes. Having an online store wishlist is part of that savvy-shopper stuff we were talking about earlier. Build your dream wishlists and then sit tight. (No impulse purchases allowed!) Keep up to date with coupon codes right here at finder.com.au and add to your shopping cart when something comes up. You’ll find our best current deals at the end of this article.
- Buy your shoes with a credit card that offers a cashback percentage. Some credit and loyalty cards offer savings on your silver shopping platter. The David Jones Platinum card offers free priority delivery amongst other perks. Topshop has a loyalty card offering £5 pounds off a purchase over £50 or 15% off orders over £80. It might not sound like a lot but if you’re a shoeaholic, you’re winning in the long run. You can read more about the credit cards that offer cashback on purchases here.
Your ultimate shoe guide:
Make a checklist of what you've currently got tucked away in the closet (and check it twice). Because every woman needs…
- Sexy stilettos. Black, of course.
- Nude pumps
- Comfy Sneakers
- Leather sandals
- Ankle boots
Top ten sites to buy cheap shoes online:
Welcome to shoe heaven. Right now (August 2015) THE ICONIC’s edit of Australian and international labels has 3528 pairs of women’s shoes and 1099 pairs of men’s shoes online. Not kidding.
- Australian retailer
- Daily new arrivals
- Free express delivery on orders over $50
- Saturday and evening delivery available
- Free returns within 100 days
Keep an eye on ASOS’ house label. ASOS (by ASOS) offers good quality, affordable shoes and the range has everything from what’s hot off the runway to essentials in every colour.
- Regular promotions and discounts
- Daily new arrivals
- Free shipping on orders over $40
- Free returns within 28 days
A brand influenced by celebrities, runway trends, bloggers, social media and street style, Missguided offers a fierce collection of shoes for budget shoppers.
- 15% student discount
- Free delivery on orders over $80
- Returns accepted within 14 days
5. David Jones
Australia’s oldest department store, David Jones, caters for children, women and men. You’ll find a shoe edit stocking styles that fall on both ends of the budget spectrum from cheap brands to high-end designers.
- Australian retailer
- Free standard delivery on orders over $100
- Saturday delivery available
- Free collection service
- David Jones credit card benefits
Local retailer Styletread sets out to help Australians find their sole-mate by providing one of the largest shoe collections online.
- Free delivery on orders over $65
- Australian retailer
- Free returns within 30 days
- Three-hour delivery available in Sydney metro
Another Aussie retailer, SurfStitch stocks a range of shoes for surf, skate and snow goers, as well as for all the regular cool kids.
- Australian retailer
- Free express shipping on orders over $50
- Returns accepted within 100 days
- Free returns on orders over $99
Topshop is a trendsetters when it comes to shoes. The brand’s a mecca for cool girls everywhere and you’ll often spot celebrities stepping out in quirky, unique styles from Topshop.
- Free international delivery on orders over £100
- 10% student discount
- Topshop loyalty card available with exclusive benefits
This is the only destination you need to know when it comes to shopping for sandals online.
As the name suggests, Shoes.com is a website dedicated to shoes - perfect for the inner shoe addict! You'll find hundreds of brands and styles to suit any occasion.
- Global shipping
- Returns available within 60 days of purchase
- Top brands including Steve Madden, Converse and UGGS
- Free shipping when you use the coupon code below
Which of these retailers offer free delivery and returns?
|Retailer||Free shipping||On orders over||Free returns|
Check out these shoe coupon codes
Coupon codes are one of those fantastic inventions that help you save. It's like having a special 'in' to an extra special 'sale'. Consider it VIP access to cheaper prices. finder.com.au has heaps of shoe coupons so you'll never have to pay too much to make your feet look and feel great.
Popular Shoes - Category coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|27 Nov 2019||10% off your order||********|
|18 Nov 2016||Up to 60% off luxury clothes, footwear and accessories||********|
|11 Aug 2016||FREE shipping on orders over $50||********|
Oh, and our final advice on this shoe business... Spoil your feet with a cute pedi. Happy shopping!
How to care for your shoes:
Keep your shoes in pristine condition so you look amazing each time you wear them.
Step 1.Organise your shoes. Make sure when you take them off put them in the same place each time. Group your shoes according to category; high heels, wedges, sandals.
Step 2.If your shoes get dirty, try to wipe them as soon as possible. If you can't do it there and then, do it as soon as you get home. This will help keep them in pristine condition.
Step 3.If you plan on leaving a certain pair of shoes at home for a while, grab some old newspaper and stuff it into the toe area. This will help the shoes retain their shape and be as comfortable as possible.
Step 4.Lift your heels! The heels are always the first part of the shoes to get scuffed and if you've ever owned a pair of stilettos you'll know how quickly you can ruin them. Always lift your feet, don't drag them. Simple!
Bonus Tip:Rotate the collection - whilst it may be easier to wear the same shoes day in and day out, it will help your feet and your shoes if you don't wear the same pair twice in a row. Mix it up and your shoes and feet will thank you.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Best split system air conditioners in Australia
Our expert team has analysed hundreds of customer reviews of split system air conditioners to determine the best available in Australia for every budget and purpose.
Deal: 40% off Oral-B teeth whitening treatments
Oral-B has knocked 40% off 3D White Whitestrips Treatment packs. Normally costing $44.99, they're now down to $26.99. Here are the details.
Best budget gaming monitors In Australia
We've done the research to find the best five budget gaming monitors available in Australia to suit different budgets and types of user.
Best camping mattresses in Australia
These are the 6 best camping mattresses you can get in Australia right now.
Best projectors in Australia
Here are the 7 best projectors you can buy right now for all your home theatre and gaming needs.
Business courses online in Australia
Searching for a career in business and not sure where to start? Find out here.
Vogue Fashion’s Night In 2020: Deals, dates and events
The 11-day shopping event will see major discounts from all your favourite fashion and beauty brands.
Best PC speakers in Australia 2020
Does your laptop or desktop PC need more sound? We've found the 7 best PC speakers in Australia for a variety of budgets and purposes.
Best fashion sales of the week: THE ICONIC, ASOS, rebel
Save 25% off summer items at THE ICONIC, take up to 50% off selected styles at ASOS and enjoy up to 40% off clothing at rebel.
Ask an Expert