Cheap Christmas flights to the UK
Left your booking to the last minute? We'll help you compare fares to get the cheapest Christmas flights to UK available.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
With the right know-how, deals and timing, you can snatch up a cheap Christmas flight in time to catch the carollers and, with luck, a healthy snowfall.
Find the cheapest Christmas flights to the UK
When's the best time to book Christmas flights to the UK?
The best time to book flights to the UK for Christmas is from March to May as this is when airlines offer early bird sales on Christmas and New Year flights.
The biggest savings to London appear around six months prior to departure. However, if you’ve missed this window airlines often have sales throughout the year and even feature last-minute deals if you're willing to take the risk.
If you're not willing to risk it book now as the earlier you book the better.
According to Skyscanner Best Time to Book tool, you can still save up to 4% off flights to London up to three months prior to flying.
If you want to spend the whole Christmas period in the UK, we've found that fares tend to be cheaper if you depart no later than 13 December. Return fares start to cheapen from 5 January onward.
Tips and tricks to getting cheap Christmas flights to UK
Can’t find a price that suits your budget? Simple ways you can get there for less include:
- Fly out on Christmas Day or New Year's Day: The major holiday dates are renowned for being the most unappealing dates to fly.So they often sport cheaper fares – even up to the wire.
- Choose to multi-stop: Direct flights are hot property over Christmas so prices skyrocket. Longer journeys and potentially long stopovers can cost a fraction of a direct flight. Cheap Flights breaks your options down well, detailing the cheapest flights and best direct flights for your dates. The site also highlights the flights with the best flight length and price.
- Fly on a more "budget"airline: Multiple airlines fly from Australia to London, including Qantas, Singapore Airlines, Emirates and Qatar Airways. While these are more luxurious, you do pay for that comfort. Airlines such as China Airlines and China Eastern aren’t as prestigious but often get you there for less.
- Try the budget airline hack: Bump your way to the UK on two budget airlines, booking each separately. It’s possible to save on costs by combining a cheap Scoot flight from Australia to Singapore with one of the low-cost flights between Singapore and London now being offered by Norwegian.
- Fly into an alternate airport: Fares will differ depending on where you fly to in the UK. You can save hundreds by flying into Manchester instead of London or Glasgow instead of Edinburgh, for example.
More guides on Finder
See the world from $1,129 with the Qatar Airways Boxing Day sale
Plus find out how you can trim a little extra off the top.
Half a million fares up for grabs from $75 with Virgin Australia’s sale
EXPIRED: Sort out your 2021 travel plans with this Virgin Australia sale.
Nab $55 flights across Australia with Jetstar’s Fare Frenzy
Sort out your Christmas holidays with a trip across the country.
Virgin Australia has your next domestic escape sorted from $89
EXPIRED: Discover the likes of Tasmania, Western Australia, Queensland, South Australia and more.
Virgin Australia’s sale is flying you across the country from $69
EXPIRED: Calling all holidaymakers! It's time to see what's up Down Under.
This Jetstar sale gets you to the Northern Territory from $107
EXPIRED: Isn't it time you paid the Top End a visit?
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2021
Score cheap flights locally and internationally with CheapOair's Black Friday deals.
The latest Jetstar sale has you scoring a $75 domestic bargain
EXPIRED: Say g'day to South Australia, Tasmania and Queensland.
Europe 2021 anyone? This Qatar Airways sale has dropped global fares from $1,159
EXPIRED: Book a flexible ticket now with the option to travel when you're ready. The streets of Spain, Italy, Greece, England and Turkey await with these flexible tickets that can be used for up to 24 months.
Jetstar slashes prices from $89 on Gold Coast to Hobart route
EXPIRED: Consider your summer holiday plans sorted.
Ask an Expert