Cheap Christmas flights to Sydney for 2020
Spend Christmas with your family for cheap – even if they do live on the other side of the country.
More likely than not, you’ll have family or friends in Sydney that you’re hoping to visit for the season. Even if you don't, it’s a beautiful place to visit for Christmas, particularly as the city goes all out with decorations and festivities.
Booking domestic flights for Christmas doesn’t have to cost a lot if you know what tricks to use and tips to apply.
We’ve found the best ways to save on flights so you can spend more time gifting for friends and family instead of getting there.
Search for Christmas flights to Sydney
Compare flights to Sydney from hundreds of booking sites and airlines online with just one search:
Latest flight deals to Sydney
When’s the best time to book Christmas flights to Sydney?
When it comes to booking domestic flights it pays to book in advance. You can save up to 11% if flying from Adelaide when you book four months in advance. From Perth you should book five months in advance to save 11% though you can still grab a bargain in September. From Brisbane, book five months ahead of time to save 7%. Lastly, flights from Melbourne to Sydney are best to book six months in advance, saving you up to 12%.
Avoid travelling a couple of days before Christmas and the week of New Year's as this is when prices skyrocket.
Generally, prices are the best for travel in the first week of December but you’ll also score a great deal on 19 and 20 of December from Melbourne.
Head home on 5 January for the best price after New Year’s.
For Adelaide, aim to depart the second week of December and return the second week of January to take advantage of the best deals.
Perth has cheap prices scattered throughout December with the first week having the lowest departing prices. It’s best to return on 1 January or in late January to avoid the highest prices.
Brisbane has consistently low prices through the first and second weeks of December for departures. Return flights are higher but still budget-friendly the last week of December.
Tips and tricks to getting cheap Christmas flights to Sydney
Finding domestic flight deals is a lot easier than it may seem with these simple tricks.
- Use the right tools: Use simple tools such as Skyscanner to help you choose the best dates to fly. Skyscanner has a feature that shows you the price for every day of the month. Changing your trip by a day could save you up to $50.
- Don’t have set plans? Not to worry, you can still find great deals on December and January airfares when you book 1–3 months in advance.
- Budget airlines: Budget airlines are great because their prices are cheap but be aware of extra add-ons that could make your trip more expensive than a flight with Qantas or Virgin Australia. Budget airline such Jetstar charge for checked baggage by weight which can add up quickly when travelling with gifts for Christmas.
- Don’t always turn to budget airlines: Christmas is peak season and all airlines are on peak prices, including budget airlines. Because they tend to sell out faster earlier due to early-bird sales, if you book late you may find full-service carriers come up to the same price or sometimes, they’re even cheaper. Keep an open mind and check all your options.
- Snap up flights when you see them: If you see cheap airfares for over Christmas, you can bet your bottom dollar they will be snapped up in a heartbeat. Don’t hesitate if you know you’re going to make a trip to Sydney for the season.
Image: City of Sydney
Ask an Expert