We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Changing residences can be stressful enough without having to worry about somehow notifying your whole contact list that you've moved. One simple solution is to prepare a single change of address letter that you can send to all those that need to know.
What's in this guide?
- What is a change of address letter?
- When should I use a change of address letter?
- What does a change of address letter include?
- How effective is a change of address letter?
- Do I need a lawyer for a change of address letter?
- How do I write a change of address letter?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a change of address letter
Take a look at how to put a change of address letter together, what's usually included and where to find a free template to make it an easy process.
What is a change of address letter?
A change of address letter is a formal notice of the change in your personal or business address.
This option is a quick and easy way to advise people or organisations about a change of address and to provide them with your new address. It can be used by or sent to both businesses and individuals.
Download this change of address letter template at Lawpath
When should I use a change of address letter?
A change of address letter can be used when you've moved and need to notify family, friends and business contacts of your new address. Alternatively, you can also use one if your business is changing locations.
Your change of address letter can be sent before or after a move as long as you specify the date from which you will be in the new address.
Here are some service and business contacts that you may need to notify with a change of address letter:
- Bank or credit union
- Credit card companies
- Other financial institutions
- Utility companies
- Cell phone and landline providers
- Doctors and dentists
- Magazine or newspaper subscriptions
What does a change of address letter include?
A change of address letter can be written in different forms depending on your relationship with the recipient but all should include:
- Name of the sender
- Former address
- New address
- Any additional contact information (e.g. new phone numbers)
- Date of move
You can also include any other useful information that could be used to identify you such as an account number or reference number.
How effective is a change of address letter?
When it comes to general contacts, such as friends, relatives and clients, a change of address letter is an easy way to notify individual parties of your new address.
In some instances, such as with banks and credit card companies, a change of address letter might not be enough. Often financial institutions require you to contact them personally to formalise your change of address. This is usually so that they can verify your identity for security reasons before changing your address to a new one. You may, however, be able to change your address over the phone or online instead.
Do I need a lawyer for a change of address letter?
There is no specific law that deals with a change of address letter so a lawyer isn't necessary to help you prepare one. If you prefer to work with a lawyer, compare online lawyers first.
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a change of address letter?
Prepare your change of address letter by making sure that both your new address and the address of the recipient are correct. A change of address can be sent to a postal address, an email address and even a fax number, depending on the recipient's preferred method of contact.
Keep the information clear with a heading for the former address and one for the new address. Include whether the change is effective immediately or for a date in the future.
If the change of address is for a business, you may need to draft multiple types of letters depending on the recipient. There are two main types of change of address letters you can consider:
- Notification to suppliers and vendors. This change of address letter should be in a more business-style format with any important information about building access included. This might need to be sent early so that any shipments or deliveries won't be missed or sent to the old address.
- Notification to customers or clients. This change of address letter can be less formal, possibly with a marketing touch. An explanation of why the new location suits your business better and what your customers can expect should be included.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a change of address letter
A change of address letter doesn't need to get complicated or be too lengthy and is actually most effective when it's straight to the point. A change of address letter template can help you include the essentials and leave out the unnecessary extras.
Here's where you can find legal documents and templates online:
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs where you can view free samples of legal documents. You do have to sign-up to access customisation options but your first document is free.
- Request Letters. Here you'll find a wide variety of letter samples which can be used as a guide to writing your own.
- Template Lab. Created to combine business and legal templates all in one place, Template Lab offers multiple samples of change of address letters.
- Wonder.Legal. Wonder.Legal provides access to over 140 legal document templates including a change of address letter.
More guides on Finder
Web developer resumes
Find out what to include in a web developer resume and how a customisable template could help you land your dream job.
Oz Hair and Beauty discount codes and coupons January 2021
Oz Hair and Beauty have everything you need to look great and feel fabulous. Hair. Makeup. Skincare. Fragrance. Covered.
How to start a graphic design business
How to use your design skills as the basis for a profitable enterprise you can run from the comfort of your home.
Graphic designer resume templates (Australia)
Get set up for success with a CV that matches high-quality visuals with the right words.
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
How to start an SEO business
Helpful tips for starting and running a successful SEO agency.
How to start a fitness business
Read these top tips to help you launch a successful fitness company.
How to start an auto mechanic business
How to start an Auto Mechanic Business from scratch, from the equipment, licences to the skills you’ll need.
How to start a remote IT business
Here’s how to go about starting a remote IT business to offer installation, servicing and maintenance support to both businesses and households.
How to start a technical support business
Before you start a tech support business, there are a few topics you need to consider.
Ask an Expert