Cebu Pacific Review: Sydney to Manila
With Cebu Pacific you get what you pay for. Make sure you arrive prepared for a comfortable flight.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Heading from Sydney to Manila for a work trip, I was concerned about keeping myself entertained for the 8-hour flight.
You won’t have anything to worry about if you plan your flight properly.
Flight Number(s): 5J 40
Aircraft Type: Airbus A330
Route: Sydney to Manila (return)
Dates Travelled: 10th-21st March
Frequent Flyer Program: N/A
What did I like?
- From Sydney to Manila we got lucky. The seat formation is 3-3-3 and I had three seats all to myself. It was incredibly comfortable and spacious but looking around, other passengers were not as fortunate.
- The food and beverages sold on the flight were reasonably priced and the selection is pretty interesting: ramen cup noodles and unicorn bagels will set you back a few bucks.
- Customer service is above average, and some of the staff went above and beyond to accommodate my requests.
- Good dollar value; for the price you pay the airline is reliable.
What didn’t I like?
- If you check in online, you still need to wait in the regular queue to drop off your baggage. There is no benefit to checking in online.
- The seat sizes are noticeably smaller compared to other budget airlines.
- No in-flight entertainment, Wi-Fi or charging stations.
Would I use Cebu Pacific again?
If I were on a budget, I would definitely fly Cebu Pacific again, but if I had a bit more financial flexibility I would opt for an airline like Qantas. It’s the little things like a blanket and slightly bigger seating that go a long way.
Preparation is key with Cebu Pacific, and you really get what you pay for. Doing your research beforehand will determine your own comfort. Understand any limitations the aircraft may have, and be sure to bring your own entertainment.
- Bring as much entertainment with you as you like, as there is no in-flight entertainment. I recommend downloading music and audiobooks in advance, or bringing a thick book or word puzzles.
- A sleeping mask, neck pillow and blanket are not supplied, so bring your own.
- Wear layered clothing as the air conditioning can get cold at times.
- If you want a hot meal, you must pre-order before the flight (we received salted egg with chicken and rice).
Top Cebu Pacific flight sales and deals:
More guides on Finder
Best card games in Australia
These are the 8 best card games available right now in Australia.
Review: What to expect from the Madame Tussauds Sydney TikTok challenge
Here's a fun way to keep the kids entertained in Sydney over the spring break.
WILD LIFE Sydney Zoo review
Centrally located, packed full of local critters and perfect for families, WILD LIFE Sydney offers a few fun hours out.
Canberra and the ACT travel restrictions: What to do in June 2021
Your complete guide to what you can and can’t do in the ACT this spring.
South Australia travel restrictions: What can I do in June 2021?
Here's everything you need to know on the current South Australia travel restrictions.
What’s open in Adelaide right now?
Find out which shopping centres, public spaces and takeaway eateries are open in Adelaide during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
What’s open in Sydney: Bars, restaurants and attractions
Here are the shopping centres and public spaces that are still open in Sydney. Looking for a bite to eat? See your dine-in and takeaway restaurant options. Plus, find out what restrictions have been lifted in NSW.
Snap up flights to the Philippines from $139 with Cebu Pacific
EXPIRED: It's time to say hello to Manila, Boracay, Cebu and more.
Cebu Pacific drops prices to Philippines from $214 one way
EXPIRED: Surprise them this Valentine's Day with a tropical getaway.
AirAsia review: Kuala Lumpur to Sydney
From strict baggage limits to a lack of in-flight amenities, I'll probably think twice - or at least be better prepared - before booking another AirAsia flight.
Ask an Expert