We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Cbus super options
You'll initially be invested in the Growth option which is the default MySuper product, however you can change investment options at any time after joining.
Features of Cbus super
- Industry super fund. Cbus is an industry super fund, which means it's run to benefit members rather than shareholders. It began as a fund for the building and construction sector; however, anyone is now free to join.
- Choose from 5 ready-made investment options. Choose between 5 pre-mixed investment portfolios.
- MySuper investment option. The Cbus Growth option is the default low-fee, no-frills MySuper option for members who don't wish to choose their own investment option. It's designed to suit most members.
- Invest in the building industry. Cbus investments include investment in infrastructure which in turn supports the industry that many of its members work in.
- Default insurance cover. Eligible members receive automatic death and total permanent disablement (TPD) cover.
- Consolidate your super online. You can opt to consolidate your existing super into your new Cbus account when joining or any time after you've joined by logging into your online portal.
Cbus investment options
Pre-mixed investment portfolios
You can choose between a range of ready-made diversified investment portfolios, or stick with you default MySuper option. Each portfolio offers a different mix of high-risk growth assets and low-risk defensive assets. As such, each portfolio carries a different risk level. You can see what assets are classed as growth and defensive below:
- Growth assets: Australian and international shares, private equity, infrastructure and property, alternatives.
- Defensive assets: Infrastructure, property, fixed income and cash (such as term deposits).
If you don't want to make a choice, you'll be placed in the Growth option, which is the authorised MySuper option.
|Portfolio||Risk level||Benchmark asset allocation|
This is the default option, and is designed to suit most members. It invests in more growth assets and aims to deliver consistent, high returns over the long term.
|Medium to High||Growth assets: 72%|
Defensive assets: 28%
This is the lowest risk portfolio option, offering more reliable returns and less possibility of negative returns in the short term. However this option doesn't aim for as high of returns as the other options over the long term. It has about two thirds of your balance invested in defensive assets.
|Low to medium||Growth assets: 31%|
Defensive assets: 69%
|Conservative Growth |
This portfolio invests in growth and defensive assets equally, offering some growth plus the stable returns of fixed interest and cash.
|Medium||Growth assets: 52%|
Defensive assets: 48%
|High Growth |
This option has the highest allocation to growth assets, and aims for higher returns over the long term.
|High||Growth assets: 92%|
Defensive assets: 8%
What insurance options are available with Cbus?
You can choose a level of cover that suits you based on how manual our job is. All members will receive the following insurance automatically when you join the fund, provided you have no pre-existing conditions:
- Death. This is paid to your beneficiary (usually your spouse or a member of your immediate family) in the event of your unexpected death.
- Total and permanent disability (TPD). This is paid to you in the event you become disabled and can no longer work.
If you're under 25 with a low balance (less than $6000) you won't have any insurance cover applied automatically. You can increase, reduce or cancel your cover altogether at any time after joining. You also have the option of adding income protection insurance and life insurance cover at any point.
How to join Cbus super?
You can join online at any time. The application process is simple and should take you less than 20 minutes to complete.
As well as your full name and date of birth, make sure you have the following details handy before you start the application:
- Your Australian residential address
- Your phone number and email address
- Your tax file number (TFN)
- Your chosen investment option and insurance cover
- Details of your existing super fund if you'd like to consolidate your funds during the application process
Once your application has been completed successfully, you'll receive your membership details by email.
More guides on Finder
5 ways to diversify your SMSF you might never have considered
The rumours are true, you really can invest in wine and whisky through your SMSF (among many other unusual things!).
“I was losing money”: How Ben escaped a poor performing super fund
After being charged hundreds of dollars in fees and getting poor returns, here's how Ben switched super funds.
Superhero Super: How to invest your super with Superhero
Superhero Super offers two different investment options which both give members more control over how their super is invested. Here's how the super account works.
NFT Marketplaces Review and Guide
An all-encompassing guide on NFT marketplaces. Learn how to sell, buy and create your own NFTs on the world's most popular marketplaces.
Worst super funds revealed: Is yours one of them?
Major retail funds including CommBank and Westpac are among the 13 worst-performing super funds named and shamed by the regulator.
10 top-performing super funds for 2021 announced
The top-performing growth super fund returned 22% for the year, while the bottom-performing fund returned 13%.
What is superannuation?
Superannuation is the main way of saving for your retirement in Australia. Your superannuation is one big investment portfolio in your name that's managed for you by your super fund.
YourSuper tool: What to know before comparing your super fund
The ATO's new YourSuper tool ranks MySuper funds on their annual fees and performance, and allows you to compare 4 funds side-by-side.
Picking your first super fund this year? 6 things you should know
SPONSORED: Instead of taking the first one that's offered to you, why not figure out which super fund is actually best for you? You'll thank yourself later.
Finder Super Fund Awards 2021
The Finder Super Fund Awards 2021 recognise Australia's best super funds.
Ask an Expert