CBHS Ambulance Cover

Find out when you will be covered for ambulance journeys with CBHS

If you’re on any kind of CBHS hospital plan, you’re covered for emergency ambulance transport. However, this is only one kind of ambulance transport. Other services, such as patient transfers or other non-emergency situations, will often incur costs unless you hold additional cover.

Compare CBHS’s policies that cover ambulance

In Queensland and Tasmania you’re covered by a state scheme and don’t need to worry about extra ambulance insurance, but in other states it’s worth looking into the available options.

What’s not covered by emergency ambulance cover?

Emergency ambulance cover, which is included in hospital health insurance and many extras policies, does not cover you for non-emergency transport. Non-emergency situations are those such as transport to a hospital for routine health management needs. This might be necessary for health issues that affect mobility, or that require medical care during transport.

Other situations considered non-emergency are generally those where an ambulance doesn’t need to use sirens to rush a patient to hospital. If you call an ambulance to be on the safe side, you might end up with significant out-of-pocket costs if you don’t have expanded ambulance cover.

CBHA health insurance policies, and its ambulance-only cover, are for emergency ambulance calls only.

Who needs ambulance cover in each state?

Whether or not you need ambulance cover will depend on the state where you live. In Queensland and Tasmania the state governments cover 100% of costs associated with emergency ambulance transport, so don’t need to worry about ambulance cover.

Below is how the other state governments cover for ambulance:

  • NSW and the ACT. Pensioners are automatically covered for all ambulance services. For everyone else, you may be eligible for complete ambulance cover if you hold hospital cover. Otherwise, it may be worth looking into ambulance cover options.
  • VIC. Pensioners and concession card holders are automatically covered, while health insurance might also cover non-emergency ambulance transport, as can an Ambulance Victoria membership.
  • SA. A South Australia Ambulance Services membership may be needed for complete cover.
  • WA. Aged pensioners are automatically covered, as are veterans. In country areas you can purchase country ambulance membership from St John Ambulance, while health insurance or an ambulance subscription for your area may be able to cover it elsewhere.
  • NT. You may need a St John Ambulance membership for complete cover in the NT.

To find out how you’re covered in your location, check with your state ambulance authority. It will help you identify whether or not you need to purchase additional cover.

CBHS standalone ambulance cover

CBHS standalone ambulance cover is not necessary if you have taken out any form of the company’s hospital cover. The standalone policy covers you for emergency ambulance needs, including transport by the Royal Flying Doctor services and other necessary airlifts. It also covers you for paramedic treatment on the scene in the event of an emergency.

A CBHS ambulance-only policy can also be useful, depending on your location, if you have hospital insurance from another fund that doesn’t effectively cover emergencies, or only covers a limited number of services per year.

CBHS is a restricted health fund, meaning that only current and former employees of the Commonwealth Bank Group and their families are eligible to join.

Compare the policy options offered by CBHS Health Fund

Andrew Munro

Andrew writes for finder.com, comparing products, writing guides and looking for new ways to help people make smart decisions. He's a fan of insurance, business news and cryptocurrency.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

You might like these...

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site