Cathay Pacific offers free Hong Kong attractions on stopovers
Take a leisurely detour.
Cathay Pacific has struck a deal with Hong Kong's tourism board to offer a range of free and discounted tours and transport deals around Hong Kong.
Travellers with a stopover of 6 to 24 hours can choose from one of the following, from now until February 2018:
- Free same-day return on the airport express shuttle, normally priced at $18.
- A discounted visit to the Walt Cafe at Disneyland, for $35 instead of the usual $91.
- 360 Transit (the 5.7 kilometre cablecar ride) in Lantau, for $22 or $33, for standard or crystal class, instead of the usual $60 and $71 respectively, plus admission to attractions on the other end.
- A Disneyland flash visit ticket for $61 instead of the usual $133
Travellers with more extensive stopovers, of three nights or more, can choose one of the following for free, from now until May 2018:
- Hop-on hop-off open top bus sightseeing tour, normally priced at $77
- Deluxe Hong Kong Island Combo tour, normally costing $118
- The Old Hong Kong - New Experience tour, usually $69
- The Kowloon Cultural and Life Tour, normally priced at $72
How to get your freebies
- Start booking an eligible flight to Hong Kong at Cathay Pacific
- You'll see a banner on the booking confirmation page, and will also receive a followup email after booking
- Follow the link in either the banner or the email to get instructions on how to register for one of the tours
- You'll receive an email within two working days, confirming your eligibility and giving you details on how to redeem the offer
It's not quite instant, but the savings are still considerable. The airline has round the world flights going under $1,000, so saving $100 on a stopover is a significant chunk of change. And Cathay Pacific is based in Hong Kong, so you don't have to work too hard to get there.
It's not hard to route through Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific, so these are pretty straightforward freebies. The main catch is that you'll have to decide on an attraction while booking your ticket, before leaving home.
If your stay is closer to 6 hours than 24 hours, the 360 cablecar on Lantau Island might be the way to go, thanks to the included express entry that lets you skip the queue. It might be the only way to do it in just a few hours. But if you have a full day to spend in Hong Kong, then less-than-half-price admission to Disneyland might be perfect.
If you're staying for three days or more, then the Hop-on hop-off tour, or the deluxe island combo might be the perfect ways of orienting yourself. The former might be the perfect self-guided tour, while the latter might be good for an in-depth look.
Unfortunately accommodation isn't included, so you'll need to take care of that yourself. Fortunately, there's no shortage of hotels in Hong Kong.
Follow us for all the latest deals and coupon codes