Cathay Pacific flight review: Sydney to Hong Kong
With no check-in queue and an empty seat next to us, this was 5-star service from start to finish.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Who says you can't take a second honeymoon? With a few days up our sleeves and an overnight flight in our sights my husband and I decided a trip to one of the food meccas of the world would be an indulgent treat.
Did it go down swimmingly? Oh, yes.
Cathay Pacific flight details
- Route: Sydney to Hong Kong
- Duration: 9 hours 40 minutes
- Flight Number: CX138
- Aircraft Type: 77W
- Dates Travelled: 1 November 2018
- Class: Economy
Stephanie's review (in short)★★★★★
- Check-in: No lines or dramas.
- Seats: Very roomy and we even scored an empty seat next to us.
- Odd-shaped waiting area: It was narrow and snaked around a corner so we couldn't see the staff or how long the line was. I understand this isn't the fault of the airline, so I haven't counted this as a negative to my star-rating.
What did I like?
- Checking in was super quick and easy. When we arrived around 90 minutes early there was nobody in the queue and we had a choice of two desks to check in.
- The seats were roomy. Plus we even scored a row to ourselves, which was nice considering we were running a night flight.
- Well-timed flight. The night flights leave Sydney at 10:20pm meaning you can get to work and head off straight after without a second's thought. Unfortunately this meant arriving in Hong Kong at 5am but on the positive that gave us a full day out on the town.
- Good gluten-free food. I find GF meals are getting better in restaurants but I was surprised to find it fairly decent on planes, too. My meal consisted of an egg, mushrooms, potatoes, gluten free bread and a muffin. Most were delicious but while the muffin was done well by gluten-free standards it was super heavy and I didn't want to finish it.
What didn't I like?
- The waiting area at the gate. This was shaped kind of like a backwards C so we couldn't see the desk in the seated area and instead had to walk around a corner to do so. This meant we didn't know when the staff had arrived and were preparing to board people and also meant it was hard to gauge how long the line was.
Would I use Cathay Pacific again?
This airline lives up to its 5-star service with easy check-in, comfortable seats and good service so yes, I'd definitely fly with Cathay Pacific again.
Cathay Pacific flight deals and sales:
Popular Flights coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|17 Jun 2021||Up to 15% off domestic flights with code||CRV****|
|23 Jun 2021||Up to USD$15 off booking fees||JUN****|
|16 Jun 2021||Up to 10% off flights with code||STU****|
|8 Jun 2021||USD$25 off flight fees||ID2****|
|8 Jun 2021||USD$35 off flight fees||SB3****|
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Prime Day deal: $100 off Sony’s ‘Bose Killing’ Headphones
Get 33% off Sony WH1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones during Amazon Prime Day 2021. Here's how to get the deal before it disappears.
How to get $90.95 off Nintendo Switch with Amazon Prime
Amazon Australia is selling the Nintendo Switch video game console for $349 during Prime Day - that's over $120 off the RRP.
Amazon Prime Day’s best deals on big-ticket items: Up to 46% off
From Segways to stand-up paddleboards, these are the best Prime Day savings on the most expensive items.
Nacon RIG 500 Pro HC Gen 2 review: Super comfortable gaming headphones
The Nacon Rig 500 Pro HC headphones have wide console and PC compatibility, Dolby Atmos licensing and a genuinely comfortable design, even for longer gaming sessions.
Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G review: Oppo’s better flagship phone
The Oppo Find X3 Neo lacks the utter flagship features of the Find X3 Pro, but you won't miss them, while you will enjoy its lower price point.
7 health insurance deals to save you money at tax time
Avoid the MLS tax and get a rebate by taking out health insurance. Here are 7 deals that’ll save you money on your tax returns.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Milton Corporation (MLT ↑16.0%), Oneview Healthcare (ONE ↑12.8%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 22 June 2021.
Mobile plans are now more expensive, but here’s a hack to save $200 a year
Telstra, Optus and Vodafone keep raising their prices even as the rest of the market is more affordable than ever.
Ask an Expert