Cash Loans Wollongong
Can you get a cash payday loan in Wollongong? Read on to find the answer.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
People who are unable to pay for a sudden expense or an unexpected bill may consider a short term loan in Wollongong. We've put together a guide to help them make the most informed decision for their circumstances.
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support. Find out more here: https://www.finder.com.au/coronavirus-financial-help
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
How do short term loans work in Wollongong?
Customers can apply for a short term loan in Wollongong at a storefront lender or online, depending on what suits their situation. Online lenders can approve applicants in minutes and have the money transferred to them in 24 hours, while storefront lenders can offer one-hour turnaround for cash-in-hand. However, there might be fewer store-front lenders to choose from in Wollongong due to the size of the city.
Short term loans are usually between $100 and $2,000 and repayment terms can vary from one or two months up to a year. While applicants may be able to borrow up to $5,000 with some lenders, they will pay a higher cost. Find out more about fees and rates below.
Cash loans available in Wollongong to compare today
Sunshine Short Term Loans
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
- Fast cash for good credit
- Borrow up to $10,000
- Flexible repayments
100% confidential application
Credit24 Medium Term Loan (Good Credit)
Borrow up to $10,000 with maximum loan term of 3 years. Fast turnaround and pay no additional charges for early repayment.
- Loan amount: $10,000
- Loan term: 12-24 months
- Turnaround time: Same day - conditions apply
- Fees: $400 establishment fee + 48% p.a. interest
- You must earn $600 per month
- Quick and easy Approval of your loan with good credit
How to compare loan options
There are many ways to compare lenders, but here are a few key things to keep your eye on while looking around for a payday loan.
- Fees. Lenders offering loans of less than $2,000 will not charge an establishment fee of more than 20% or a monthly fee of more than 4%. There is no interest attached to these loans and this is the maximum fee customers will be charged (subject to an ASIC cap). While most lenders charge the maximum, customers should still compare options, as they might find a more competitive loan.
- Interest rates. Loans below $2,000 do not come with interest rates. Customers who apply for a loan above this amount will be charged a rate of up to 48% p.a., as well as certain fees, depending on how much they borrow.
- Repayment terms. Prospective applicants should consider how long they will need to repay the loan. It's a good idea to keep in mind the longer someone takes to pay a loan back, the more they will be charged, but the more manageable the repayments may be. Prospective applicants can use a payday loan calculator to determine their potential repayments and see how it fits their current budget.
- Loan amount. Applicants should make sure that the lender they choose offers the loan amount they need. Also, it's important to note that some lenders offer a lower borrowing amount to first-time borrowers.
Pros and cons of a payday loan
There are a number of pros and cons to getting a payday loan:
- Quick access to money. Some lenders offer same day turnaround once a loan has been approved.
- Flexible repayment terms. Lenders offer flexible repayment options and the majority allow customers to repay their loan early.
- Flexible loan criteria. Depending on the lender someone opts for, they may still be considered for a loan even if they have bad credit or if they're on Centrelink payments. It usually comes down to their ability to afford the loan.
- High cost. Short term loans come with a notoriously high cost so this is something everyone should keep in mind before they apply.
- Repayment issues. If someone is having loan repayment issues, they may be charged high late fees which can add on to the cost of their loan and make repayment even more difficult. They should ensure that they consider their ability to afford the loan prior to applying.
- Cycle of debt. Short term loans are not long term financial solutions, and getting into debt can end up being a spiral. People who find themselves frequently in debt may be able to qualify for alternatives to payday loans.
What are the risks of payday loans?
- High rates and fees. Rates and fees on payday loans are high but there are rules in place so be sure to check your lender is not charging you more than ASIC allows. Also, look at what you would be charged if you are late on a payment or if you default on the loan altogether.
- Unreputable lenders. All Australian lenders should be accredited by ASIC. Check for a credit licence on the ASIC Register and ensure that the lender is easily contactable.
- Impact on credit score. Every loan application shows up on credit reports. While lenders might not consider credit history, applying for lots of loans within a short period can have a negative impact on your credit score in the future.
Areas of the Wollongong area to get a payday loan
With access to the Internet, people can get access to a whole variety of online lenders that may be willing to overlook a bad credit history or supply quick access to funds. Borrowers may be able to get loans from lenders in the Wollongong CBD, Warrawong, Figtree, Mangerton, Tarrawanna, Corrimal and Albion Park Rail.
Questions to ask before applying for a payday loan
There are a few questions people should ask themselves before applying for a payday loan:
- Can I afford the repayments? This is vital to consider because not making repayments on time will negatively affect a person's credit history. Payday loans are an expensive way to borrow money and should only be used as a last resort. Check the size of each repayment and ensure you will be able to pay it on time. Unaffordable repayments can lead to late fees that will only make things worse.
- What are the loan terms? This is important to know before going into a lender. The quicker someone repays a loan, the less it will cost, but shorter repayment terms mean higher repayments.
- Will they check my credit history? Most payday lenders accept bad credit applicants, but this doesn't necessarily mean that all of them do. Every time you apply for a loan it affects your credit history, so you need to make sure you only apply for a loan you are eligible for.
Compare options prior to applying.
More guides on Finder
Out of cycle: How your home loan rate could increase this year, even if the cash rate doesn’t
The last time the cash rate held for extended period of 34 months, banks changed their interest rates seven times - five of which were increases.
Bitcoin trading made simple
Build both your knowledge and Bitcoin wallet with this simple guide to trading.
Non-conforming home loans guide
Imperfect credit? A non-conforming loan might help you become a home owner.
86 400 Neat home loan – variable
This flexible variable rate home loan offer from a digital lender is suitable for both home buyers and investors.
Toyota RAV4 car loans
Compare car loans and discover prices and specs of the Toyota RAV4.
76% of bank’s customers ahead on home loans shows it’s easier than you think
Less than 12 months since borrowers rushed to put their mortgages on hold, Aussies are paying more off their home loan than ever before
How to read your credit score using Credit Savvy
Follow these tips to get a handle on your credit with this free tool.
How to get your credit score using ClearScore
How to get an accurate snapshot of your credit history with this free tool.
CommBank 0.99% Green Loan: Can you get it?
CommBank has announced a new green loan with a 0.99% interest rate, which you can use to buy and install renewable tech in your home.
PayActiv Earned Wage Access
Learn more about how PayActiv's Earned Wage Access service can help you access up to $500 of your paycheque for a $5 fee charged fortnightly (only if you access your wage before payday).
Ask an Expert