Find out about your options in this guide.
Are you struggling financially?
If you're struggling financially and would like to speak to someone for free financial advice, information and assistance you can call the Financial Counsellors hotline on 1800 007 007 (open from 9:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday). If you are suffering financial problems related to the coronavirus pandemic you may be eligible for additional support.
⚠️ Warning about Borrowing
Do you really need a loan today?*
It can be expensive to borrow small amounts of money and borrowing may not solve your money problems.
Check your options before you borrow:
- For information about other options for managing bills and debts, ring 1800 007 007 from anywhere in Australia to talk to a free and independent financial counsellor
- Talk to your electricity, gas, phone or water provider to see if you can work out a payment plan
- If you are on government benefits, ask if you can receive an advance from Centrelink: Phone: 13 17 94
The Government's MoneySmart website shows you how small amount loans work and suggests other options that may help you.
* This statement is an Australian Government requirement under the National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009.
How do short term loans work on the Gold Coast?
Short term loans that are available on the Gold Coast work the same way as any other short term loan would around Australia. Short term loans, or payday loans, are small loans usually between $100 and $2,000, but are sometimes available for as high as $5,000. Normally, payday loans are repaid over a period of 16 - 60 days, but there are some loans on the market that can be stretched over one or 2 years time. On the Gold Coast, most lenders will allow applicants to borrow a maximum of $5,000, but this is dependent on the lender.
Gold Coast applicants must meet the eligibility criteria highlighted by an individual lender in order to qualify for a short term loan. This eligibility criteria is usually fairly minimal, as most payday lender accept bad credit borrowers. As a general rule, applicants must be permanent residents or citizens of Australia, must be over 18 and must be able to show that they can repay the loan through some sort of income in order to qualify.
However, the terms of the loan will vary between lenders. Loan applicants may find terms as short as one month and, depending on the size of the loan, the maximum terms can extend up to 2 years. Applicants ought to check that the loan terms meets their requirements before they apply.
Cash loans available on the Gold Coast to compare today
Sunshine Short Term Loans
Go to site
This is a short-term loan offer with a fast and easy online application for good or bad credit borrowers. You can apply today to get approved
for up to $2,000. Get your loan funded in 30 minutes - conditions apply.
- Loan Amount: $2,000
- Loan Term: 9-14 weeks
- Turnaround Time: 30 minutes - conditions apply
- Fees: 20% of loan amount + 4% of loan amount each month
- Bad credit borrowers OK
- Quick & easy Approval
- Bad credit applicants considered
- Fast approval service
- Borrow up to $2,000
Credit24 Medium Term Loan (Good Credit)
- Fast cash for good credit
- Borrow up to $5,000
- Flexible repayments
100% confidential application
Credit24 Medium Term Loan (Good Credit)
Borrow up to $10,000 with maximum loan term of 3 years. Fast turnaround and pay no additional charges for early repayment.
- Loan amount: $5,000
- Loan term: 12 to 24 months
- Turnaround time: Same day - conditions apply
- Fees: $400 establishment fee + 48% p.a. interest
- You must earn $600 per month
- Quick and easy Approval of your loan with good credit
How to compare lenders
Comparing lenders is important as it is ideal to have all of the information available before deciding to go with a particular lender. While one lender may offer same day deposits, the borrower may incur an additional fee for requesting this service. Another lender may provide the same service for no additional fee.
Here are some things to keep in mind while looking at lenders.
- Repayment schedule. Most lenders offer weekly, fortnightly or monthly repayments. Applicants should decide which repayment schedule suits them best and find a lender who offers this service.
- Interest rates. Applicants applying for a loan below $2,000 will not be charged an interest rate, but will be charged high fees. Loans between $2,000 and $5,000 will not come with a rate above 48% p.a. but rates can still vary in their competitiveness.
- Fees. For loans below $2,000, applicants will not pay more than a 20% establishment fee and a 4% monthly fee.
- Loan amounts. People can usually borrow up to $2,000 and some lenders may allow applicants to apply for loans up to $5,000.
Pros and cons of cash loans from the Gold Coast
- Short approval process. Generally applicants will find out if they've been approved instantly and can receive the loan in 24-48 hours.
- Variety of lenders. Due to the number of lenders that are offering cash loans on the Gold Coast, borrowers have the option to shop around for the most suitable deal.
- Can repay early. The majority of lenders allow approved applicants to repay the loan early without penalty.
- High cost. Cash loans come with a notoriously high cost. Prospective applicants should take the time to consider whether or not they can afford a payday loan before submitting an application.
- No guarantee of approval. Make sure to consider the eligibility criteria before submitting an application. Each application is listed on the applicant's credit file and multiple applications can be damaging to credit scores.
Costs to be aware of with a Gold Coast short term loan
While the interest rates on payday loans may not seem to be too much higher than with other personal loans, they ought to be considered in regards to their repayments terms. Other personal loans have repayment terms of one year or more and offer an annual percentage rate, for example of 13% p.a. A payday loan is usually paid back within 1 or 2 months, so the 24% interest rate is not an annual rate, but a monthly rate. Considering this, if payday loans offered year-long terms they would charge an interest rate of 288% p.a.
Where to find a Gold Coast cash loan
Since many lenders offer cash loans online, prospective borrowers can apply for a loan from wherever they happen to be along the Gold Coast. However, there are also loans available in-store from Mermaid Beach, Nerang, Broadbeach, Southport and many others who have bricks and mortar personal lending services. It just depends on whether or not borrowers want the ease of applying online, or if they feel more comfortable going to the lenders and talking to them directly.
Questions to ask before applying
There are a few things to consider before applying for a payday loan
- Can I afford the repayments? This is probably the most important question. Unexpected living costs occur all the time and can make payday loans tempting. However, if for those who cannot afford the repayments of the loan they take out, more interest will grow on the amount owed and it can quickly become a debt trap for many borrowers.
- Does this loan meet all my needs? Researching lenders' interest rates, repayment schedules and fees is a good way to answer this question, as financial circumstances vary from individual to individual.
Prospective loan applicants in the Gold Coast have a number of short term loan options that are Australia-wide and specific to the area to consider. This guide will outline which Gold Coast loans are currently available and any information that might be useful to people who are preparing to embark on a short term loan application.