TripCover Car Rental Excess


Car rental excess cover starting from $5.68? Just one of the reasons to Choose TripCover.

No reviews yet. Write a review

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

When you hire a rental vehicle, even though you pay for insurance in case of theft or accident, you must also pay an excess if you make a claim. This is the amount you must contribute to the claim out of your own pocket and depending on the rental car firm, it can be upwards of $5000.

Car Rental Excess Insurance is insurance which pays some or all of the excess for you and Tripcover is the low-cost car rental excess insurance alternative. Working with Allianz Global Assistance, Tripcover has used its combined experience in the car rental and travel insurance sectors to produce standalone car rental excess cover for the Australian market. With cover starting from as little as $5.68 per day, it offers the peace of mind from knowing you will no longer have a huge liability hanging over you when you go to pick up your rental car.

Important Information

TripCover Rental Vehicle Excess Travel Insurance is no longer available for sale. However, we've kept the information online for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.

You can compare rental car insurance excess from our panel of providers.

What cover is available?

Tripcover car rental excess insurance plans cover the excess on your rental car up to the limit selected by you. This can be up to $4,000 (excess reduced to $300) or up to $6,000 (excess reduced to $0).

Plans cover excess fees for damage to vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes, including multi and single vehicle accidents, windscreens, lights, tyres, wheels, undercarriage and overhead damage. Luggage and personal effects are also covered up to $1500 ($500 per person) as well as relocation to the nearest depot (up to $500) if you are medically unfit to do so. There are no distance restrictions on how far you can drive the vehicle and coverage is available for under $10 a day.

Tripcover offers two types of policies:

  • Destination Australia – a domestic policy which covers Australians, New Zealanders and overseas visitors who are travelling in Australia. Cover is available for excess up to $4,000 (reduced to $300) for drivers aged 21 to 24 and up to $6,000 (reduced to $0) for drivers aged 25 to 75.
  • Destination New Zealand and Worldwide – an international policy that covers Australians going to New Zealand and worldwide. Cover is available for excess up to $4,000 for drivers aged 21 to 75.

Policy Features

Domestic and InboundInternational
  • Cover up to AUD $4,000 or AUD $6,000
  • Excess reduced to $0 or $300
  • Domestic cover available to international visitors
  • Luggage and personal effects covered up to AUD$1500 ($500 max per person)
  • No distance restrictions from residence
  • All eligible drivers covered under rental agreement
  • Relocation of vehicle to value of $500
  • Campervans to 4.5 tonnes
  • Cover up to AUD $4000
  • Luggage and personal effects covered up to AUD$1500 ($500 max per person)
  • Covers eligible drivers on rental agreement
  • Cover available for drivers aged 21 to 75 years old
  • Relocation of vehicle up to AUD $500 if unfit to do so
  • Campervans to 4.5 tonnes

How do I claim with TripCover?

If you need to make a claim, the process is simple.

  • Call Allianz Global Assistance on 1300 725 154 or send an email to
  • If calling from overseas, call +61 7 3305 7499 and select option 2 for claims assistance.
  • A consultant will discuss your claim with you and send you a relevant claim form if required.
  • Complete and sign the claim form and post, fax or email it to Allianz Global Assistance, along with any documentation requested to support your claim.
  • Claims take up to 10 working days to process and if additional information is needed, a written request will be sent to you within 10 working days.

Some questions you might have

Q: What does Tripcover cover?

A: The excess liability up to the selected limit of $4000 or $6000, for theft, single and multi-vehicle accidents, cracked or damaged windscreens, tyres, wheels, lights, bumpers and trim (excluding normal wear and tear) and overhead and undercarriage damage.

Q: Who underwrites Tripcover?

A: Allianz Australia Insurance Limited and policies are managed by Allianz Global Assistance.

Q: Who underwrites Tripcover?

A: Allianz Australia Insurance Limited and policies are managed by Allianz Global Assistance.

Q: Can I cancel my policy before I travel?

A: Yes, as long as it is within the 14-day cooling off period. You will be given a full refund, as long as you have not commenced your journey and do not want to make a claim.

Q: Can I use Tripcover for campervans?

A: Yes, you can use it on any rental vehicle up to 4.5 tonnes.

Q: Can I purchase a policy for just one day?

A: Yes, there is no minimum number of days. One policy day lasts for 24 hours from the time you pick up the rental vehicle.

Q: I am from overseas. Can I reduce my excess in Australia with Tripcover?

A: Yes, overseas visitors can use Tripcover's Domestic Policy and you can register from overseas or in Australia, while travelling here.

Q: How much does Tripcover cost?

A: Rates start from $9.30 a day to reduce your excess from $4000 to $300, which reduces to $5.51 a day over a 15-day rental period and to $5.45 over 22 days.

Q: Is trim covered (bumpers etc)?

A: Tripcover includes cover for loss or damage to windscreens and glass, roof, tyres and underbody. It also covers bumpers and trim, but only for loss or damage, not for normal wear and tear, which is the responsibility of the rental car company.

Tripcover deals and promotions

As well as some of the lowest rates you’ll find anywhere, Tripcover offers a 10% discount off your next policy if you apply using a supplied promo code, active coupon or your frequent flyer numbers. Clicking on the code or coupon you wish to use redirects you to the Tripcover homepage, where you can apply for your rental car excess insurance for 10% less.

It looks like we don't have any coupons at the moment. Take a look at our most recent deals

Value of Car Rental Excess Cover

The following case study demonstrates how Tripcover saved one customer when he was charged $750 for scratching his Hertz rental car.

Hertz froze $2,000 on his credit card until they had determined the cost of the repair, at which time the customer claimed on his Tripcover policy. Within 10 working days the $750 was in his bank account and he was not out of pocket one cent, apart from the minimal cost of his Tripcover policy, which he said he would happily renew next time.

Apply for TripCover Securely Online

With rental car companies seemingly raising the bar on excess liability all the time, hiring a car has become a frightening experience, knowing that you must pay thousands of dollars if you have an accident. Now, thanks to Tripcover, that burden has been lifted and everyone can enjoy a rental car holiday, knowing their excess will be paid in the event of a claim.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

4 Responses

    Default Gravatar
    PaulJuly 15, 2015

    What exactly do you consider as normal wear and tear for bumpers and trim?

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJuly 16, 2015Staff

      Hi Paul,

      Thanks for your question. is a comparison service and not an insurer. Wear and tear is damage that naturally and occurs as a result of normal wear or ageing. According to TripCover the “wear and tear” is referring to claiming for theft or loss of luggage in the rental car. It involves depreciation, for example if you were claiming for a stolen camera or mobile phone that was less than a year old there would be no depreciation or “wear and tear”.

      In regards to wear and tear for bumpers, it is just a term put in the PDS to stop car rental companies lodging claims with the underwriter to fix their vehicles.

      I hope this was helpful,

    Default Gravatar
    KevinJuly 6, 2015

    what is the difference between Trip cover and Rental cover as both seem to rental car excess

      Avatarfinder Customer Care
      RichardJuly 7, 2015Staff

      HI Kevin,

      Thanks for your question. TripCover is an insurer that offers rental car excess insurance.

      I hope this was helpful,

Go to site