How long will it take for your car loan to be approved?
Find out the approval times for popular lenders and compare car loans.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Applying for a car loan can be a complicated and time-consuming process, so it's helpful to understand what is required before you start. Learn about the application process and see which lenders have the quickest approval times below.
How long will your car loan take to be approved?
|Brand||Pre-approval?||How long does it take to be approved?|
|ANZ||Three business hours|
|Aussie||Two business days|
|Bankwest||(conditional approval)||Instant conditional approval|
Full approval in 24-48 hours after submitting all documents
|Bendigo Bank||Three to seven business days|
|Beyond Bank||24-48 hours|
|CommBank||One to three business days|
|CUA||Initial response in 30 seconds|
|Gateway Bank||48-72 hours|
|IMB||Four to six hours|
|NAB||Two business days|
|RACQ||Five business hours|
|RACV||Five business hours|
|St.George||Response in 60 seconds unless further details are needed|
|Westpac||(conditional approval)||Two business days|
The car loan application process
Once you've found a car loan to suit your needs, your application will follow the steps below:
- Submitting your application. As most lenders offer online applications, this usually only takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lender response. Some lenders may send you an instant response, but this will generally be a conditional approval. Other lenders may take a couple of hours or even a couple of days to respond.
- Unconditional approval. The turnaround time for unconditional approval differs, as you can see from the table above.
- Loan funding. After receiving unconditional approval from your lender, you can generally expect to receive your funds within one to three business days. However, it's best to confirm this with your specific lender.
Compare car loans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What can slow down your application?
There are a number of issues that can delay the approval of your car loan application. These include the following:
- Not submitting all required documents. Lenders can only fully approve your loan once they receive all of the required documents. If you don't send all the necessary documents, the lender may need to contact you to have you send them over, or they may only be able to conditionally approve your loan. Make sure you check what documents are required before you apply.
- Applying after the cut-off time. Some lenders can offer same-day approval if you apply by a certain time, for example by 2pm. You can confirm this on the lender's website before you apply. If you aren't sure, contact the lender or apply early in the morning to ensure you get same-day approval.
- Failing to provide enough information about your vehicle. This is especially true if you're purchasing a used or older car, so make sure you provide all requested information on your vehicle. An older or classic car may mean it needs to be manually valued, which can slow down the application process further.
What is pre-approval?
If you haven't decided on the car you want, you can still get pre-approved for a car loan up to an agreed amount. Once you've found the car you want to buy, you can use the pre-approved loan amount to cover the purchase.
Conditional approval means you are approved for a car loan provided you meet certain requirements. You may need to submit additional documents or speak to a loan specialist for full approval. Both pre-approval and conditional approval can last from between 30 to 120 days depending on the lender.
More guides on Finder
Home loans take months, how does this bank do 7-day approvals?
Neo bank 86 400 are now offering swift turnaround times on home loans direct to consumers, with approvals coming through within 48 hours – and loan settlement in as little as seven days.
RelayPay cryptocurrency card and app
FInd out about how RelayPay works, what cryptos and fiat currencies it supports, the fees for using it and safety information.
Great Southern Bank Fixed Rate Car Loan
If you’re in the market for a new car, the Great Southern Bank Fixed Rate Car Loan may be able to give you the funds you need. With the security of a fixed rate and flexible repayments, this loan might be what you need to own your new set of wheels.
Payday loans with no credit checks
These lenders won't complete a credit check when people apply for a loan, but there are other eligibility requirements that applicants must meet. Learn more here.
Emergency Loans For Single Mothers
Emergency loans for single mothers are personal loans that are processed quicker than usual loans to give fast access to funds. Our guide explains the pros and cons of emergency short term loans.
Business car loans
If you're after a business car, compare your vehicle finance and car loan options and get your business on the road.
Instant home loan approval – are you eligible?
While other lenders have long turnaround times and clunky approval processes, a new home loan offers instant approval. What's the catch?
How Australia Post is speeding up home loans
Getting a mortgage has long been a clunky, time consuming and paperwork-heavy process, but a new Australia Post partnership aims to help.
UCapital Unsecured Business Loan
A UCapital unsecured business loan can provide up to $300,000 without security, with repayment terms between 3 and 12 months.
It’s official: Comparing home loans saves you big money
Lenders often give discounts to new borrowers, but not to loyal existing customers. Here's how to work out if you're being charged too much.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert