We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Applying for a car loan can be a complicated and time-consuming process, so it's helpful to understand what is required before you start. Learn about the application process and see which lenders have the quickest approval times below.
How long will your car loan take to be approved?
|Brand||Pre-approval?||How long does it take to be approved?|
|ANZ||Three business hours|
|Aussie||Two business days|
|Bankwest||(conditional approval)||Instant conditional approval|
Full approval in 24-48 hours after submitting all documents
|Bendigo Bank||Three to seven business days|
|Beyond Bank||24-48 hours|
|Commonwealth Bank||One to three business days|
|CUA||Initial response in 30 seconds|
|Gateway Bank||48-72 hours|
|IMB||Four to six hours|
|NAB||Two business days|
|RACQ||Five business hours|
|RACV||Five business hours|
|St.George||Response in 60 seconds unless further details are needed|
|Westpac||(conditional approval)||Two business days|
The car loan application process
Once you've found a car loan to suit your needs, your application will follow the steps below:
- Submitting your application. As most lenders offer online applications, this usually only takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lender response. Some lenders may send you an instant response, but this will generally be a conditional approval. Other lenders may take a couple of hours or even a couple of days to respond.
- Unconditional approval. The turnaround time for unconditional approval differs, as you can see from the table above.
- Loan funding. After receiving unconditional approval from your lender, you can generally expect to receive your funds within one to three business days. However, it's best to confirm this with your specific lender.
Compare car loans
What can slow down your application?
There are a number of issues that can delay the approval of your car loan application. These include the following:
- Not submitting all required documents. Lenders can only fully approve your loan once they receive all of the required documents. If you don't send all the necessary documents, the lender may need to contact you to have you send them over, or they may only be able to conditionally approve your loan. Make sure you check what documents are required before you apply.
- Applying after the cut-off time. Some lenders can offer same-day approval if you apply by a certain time, for example by 2pm. You can confirm this on the lender's website before you apply. If you aren't sure, contact the lender or apply early in the morning to ensure you get same-day approval.
- Failing to provide enough information about your vehicle. This is especially true if you're purchasing a used or older car, so make sure you provide all requested information on your vehicle. An older or classic car may mean it needs to be manually valued, which can slow down the application process further.
What is pre-approval?
If you haven't decided on the car you want, you can still get pre-approved for a car loan up to an agreed amount. Once you've found the car you want to buy, you can use the pre-approved loan amount to cover the purchase.
Conditional approval means you are approved for a car loan provided you meet certain requirements. You may need to submit additional documents or speak to a loan specialist for full approval. Both pre-approval and conditional approval can last from between 30 to 120 days depending on the lender.
More guides on Finder
UCapital Unsecured Business Loan
A UCapital unsecured business loan can provide up to $300,000 without security, with repayment terms between 3 and 12 months.
It’s official: Comparing home loans saves you big money
Lenders often give discounts to new borrowers, but not to loyal existing customers. Here's how to work out if you're being charged too much.
How to start a mobile app business
Learn the key considerations when it comes to starting and growing your smartphone app company.
How to start a home cooking business
Follow this ultimate recipe for how to start your cooking business.
How to start an electrician business
Here's how to get started if you want to turn your skills as an electrician into a business.
How to start a pet sitting business
Do you love working with animals? Find out how to start your pet sitting business.
How to start a beauty business
From qualifications to getting the right insurance in place, here’s our guide to starting your beautician business.
2-hour home loan approval: Can it happen?
A new partnership between digital bank 86 400 and Mortgage Choice aims to deliver unconditional home approval within as little as two hours – can it really happen?
Pepper Money is an Aussie non-bank lender that offers a vast range of personal loans and home loans to customers Australia-wide. Find out more here.
Financial Fitness Challenge Week 3: How to get the most out of a credit card
How to cut debt and make your credit card work for you.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert