How long will it take for your car loan to be approved?
Find out the approval times for popular lenders and compare car loans.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Applying for a car loan can be a complicated and time-consuming process, so it's helpful to understand what is required before you start. Learn about the application process and see which lenders have the quickest approval times below.
How long will your car loan take to be approved?
|Brand||Pre-approval?||How long does it take to be approved?|
|ANZ||Three business hours|
|Aussie||Two business days|
|Bankwest||(conditional approval)||Instant conditional approval|
Full approval in 24-48 hours after submitting all documents
|Bendigo Bank||Three to seven business days|
|Beyond Bank||24-48 hours|
|CommBank||One to three business days|
|CUA||Initial response in 30 seconds|
|Gateway Bank||48-72 hours|
|IMB||Four to six hours|
|NAB||Two business days|
|RACQ||Five business hours|
|RACV||Five business hours|
|St.George||Response in 60 seconds unless further details are needed|
|Westpac||(conditional approval)||Two business days|
The car loan application process
Once you've found a car loan to suit your needs, your application will follow the steps below:
- Submitting your application. As most lenders offer online applications, this usually only takes 10 to 15 minutes.
- Lender response. Some lenders may send you an instant response, but this will generally be a conditional approval. Other lenders may take a couple of hours or even a couple of days to respond.
- Unconditional approval. The turnaround time for unconditional approval differs, as you can see from the table above.
- Loan funding. After receiving unconditional approval from your lender, you can generally expect to receive your funds within one to three business days. However, it's best to confirm this with your specific lender.
Compare car loans
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What can slow down your application?
There are a number of issues that can delay the approval of your car loan application. These include the following:
- Not submitting all required documents. Lenders can only fully approve your loan once they receive all of the required documents. If you don't send all the necessary documents, the lender may need to contact you to have you send them over, or they may only be able to conditionally approve your loan. Make sure you check what documents are required before you apply.
- Applying after the cut-off time. Some lenders can offer same-day approval if you apply by a certain time, for example by 2pm. You can confirm this on the lender's website before you apply. If you aren't sure, contact the lender or apply early in the morning to ensure you get same-day approval.
- Failing to provide enough information about your vehicle. This is especially true if you're purchasing a used or older car, so make sure you provide all requested information on your vehicle. An older or classic car may mean it needs to be manually valued, which can slow down the application process further.
What is pre-approval?
If you haven't decided on the car you want, you can still get pre-approved for a car loan up to an agreed amount. Once you've found the car you want to buy, you can use the pre-approved loan amount to cover the purchase.
Conditional approval means you are approved for a car loan provided you meet certain requirements. You may need to submit additional documents or speak to a loan specialist for full approval. Both pre-approval and conditional approval can last from between 30 to 120 days depending on the lender.
More guides on Finder
The Best iPhone Black Friday deals in Australia: Save $300+ on an iPhone
Top Black Friday iPhone deals include 26% off the iPhone 12 Mini at The Good Guys and cut-price refurbished models at Amazon and eBay.
Apple Watch Black Friday sale – these are the best deals we found in Australia
Black Friday bargains include discounts on the Apple Watch Series 3 and Apple Watch accessories.
Kmart Australia Black Friday sale: 7 deals you won’t want to miss
The Kmart Black Friday sale is finally here! Save up to $50 on Amazon Kindles, best-selling homewares and Nintendo Switch Consoles.
Nintendo Switch Black Friday deals 2021 Australia with up to 59% off
These are the best Black Friday deals for Nintendo Switch, including up to 59% off bestselling Switch games.
Black Friday vacuum cleaner deals 2021: Dyson, Bosch and more
Get up to 58% off on robot cleaners to barrels and cordless sticks to all things Dyson during the Black Friday sales.
Black Friday TV deals in Australia: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs
The best Black Friday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
Black Friday air fryer sales: Up to 85% off our favourite brands
Save up to 84% off select air fryers and multi cookers on Black Friday from Amazon, eBay and Catch and more.
Black Friday mega deal: $162 off Nintendo Switch bundles
Get the Nintendo Switch bundled with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and a 3-month Nintendo Switch Online subscription for $369 - save $160!
The best Black Friday headphone sales in Australia: Get up to 58% off
The biggest discounts include $200 off the Apple AirPods Max, 40% off the Beats Solo3, 38% off Jabra Elite 75t Earbuds and 56% off Sennheiser HD 400s.
Car Loan OffersImportant Information*
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.88% p.a.
A low minimum borrowing amount of $2,000 that you can use to purchase a new car or one up to two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.69% p.a.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
You'll receive a fixed rate from 4.99% p.a.
A larger loan of $5,000 or more to help you buy a new or used car. 5-hour pre approval available and no ongoing fees.
You'll receive a fixed rate of 4.99% p.a.
Purchase a new or used car up to 2 years old and benefit from a fixed rate and no monthly fees. Pre-approval available within 5 business hours.
Ask an Expert