UbiCar Car Insurance
UbiCar uses their app technology to measure your driving. If you're found to be a safe driver, you could be rewarded with cheaper insurance.
If you’re a good driver and you think you deserve to be rewarded for it, UbiCar is the insurer for you. With a tag installed in your car and an app installed on your phone, Ubicar will analyse your driving habits, like how well you take turns and how fast you drive. The safer you drive, the more you are rewarded, including with lower monthly premiums.
UbiCar keeps things simple by offering only one level of cover: comprehensive. So not only can you save money, but you’ll also be protected if hail batters your ride, an uninsured driver sideswipes you or even if you lose your keys.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel. But don't fret! You can head to the UbiCar car insurance website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
How is UbiCar different?
- They gamify driving. Using telematic technology, UbiCar analyses your driving skills and sends that info to an app. From there, you can view your results, compare your results with others and earn rewards for safe driving.
- They keep their insurance simple. UbiCar only offers comprehensive car insurance, meaning you’ll get cover for a wide range of circumstances.
- You can choose your own repairer. Many car insurance companies will make you use a repairer in their network, but UbiCar lets you choose whatever repairer you want.
What levels of cover does UbiCar offer?
UbiCar offers only comprehensive cover. This means you will be protected for any damage to your car no matter what caused it - whether it was you, the weather or someone else.
Comprehensive Car Insurance
UbiCar’s comprehensive car insurance protects your car from theft and accidental damage including storm, hail, fire, and vandalism. UbiCar also covers you for towing costs following an accident and even for a hire car if someone steals your car or your car catches fire.
- Covers theft plus damage from collisions, storms, vandalism and more
- Hire car following theft or fire
- Emergency travel and accommodation costs
- Lifetime guarantee on authorised repairs
- Easy to claim using the UbiCar app
- $25 million in legal liability cover
- Premiums that can decrease on a monthly basis
- Generous 14-day cooling-off period
- New car replacement cover
- Temporary cover on your new car
- Optional windscreen cover
- Optional cover for a hire car following an accident
What’s not covered?
UbiCar can reject your car insurance claim if the car was damaged for any of the following reasons:
- Wear and tear, including rust, mould or corrosion
- Mechanical or electrical breakdowns
- The driver was unlicensed or unauthorised to drive your car
- The driver was drinking or doing drugs
- The driver was acting recklessly
- You didn’t take proper care of your car or keys
- The driver has committed theft or fraud in the past 5 years
- You were using the car on a racetrack or racing it on the road
- The car was overloaded or didn’t meet transport regulations
- You were using the car as a hire car
- You were using the car for unlawful purposes (like transporting drugs).
- You were using the car in a way that was contrary to the manufacturer’s recommendations
Is there an excess?
Most car insurance policies have an excess, which is the out-of-pocket amount you contribute to every claim. You will work out your excess with UbiCar when signing up for your policy.
Here are four types of excesses you should know about:
- Basic excess. The base-level excess you agree to pay on every claim.
- Age excess. An excess between $300 and $650 added onto the basic excess if the driver is under 26.
- Unknown Driver excess.An additional fee of $1,000 if someone other than the nominated driver was in control of the car when it got damaged.
- Unconnected Tag excess. Premium's are based on the cars data. If the UbiCar tag cannot be read when an accident occurs, there will be an additional excess of $1,500.
How can I save on my policy?
There are several steps you can take to help lower the cost of your UbiCar car insurance premium.
- Drive safely. UbiCar rewards you with lower premiums if you prove yourself to be a safe driver. So don’t go over the speed limit and be careful around those turns!
- Drive less. The amount you drive every year is one of the factors UbiCar will use to calculate your premium. Generally speaking, someone who drives less will pay less than someone who drives more.
- Limit your options. You can keep your costs down by taking a pass on some of the optional extras like windshield cover.
- Choose a higher excess. You can usually save on your monthly premiums if you agree to pay more out-of-pocket on your claims. If you never have to claim, you’ll never see the additional cost.
How to make a claim
You can make your claim by calling UbiCar on 1300 UBICAR or by using the app. You’ll need to provide the following information:
- Name, address and contact info for anyone involved in the accident including witnesses
- Registration numbers of all cars involved
- Proof of ownership on any stolen property
- Copies of letters, notices, court orders or police reports related to the accident or claim
- Proof of any costs you’ve incurred as a result of the accident
Ask an Expert