Car insurance can be a confusing affair. Finding the right policy can all come down to getting the right level of protection at the right price. SGIO offers a range of policies, giving you choice over both your cover and any extras you may need, as well as specific cover if you drive a veteran (pre-1919), vintage (1919-1930) or classic car (15 years or older). For full details, read our review below.
We don't currently have this brand on our panel.
But don't fret! You can head to the Allianz website or compare a bunch of other car insurance companies with finder.
What cover options do they have?
- Third party property damage. A basic policy providing liability cover of up to $20 million, and up to $5,000 if your car is damaged by an uninsured driver.
- Third party fire and theft. Includes the same cover as third party property damage protection, with the added security of fire and theft protection, to the value of $10,000.
- Comprehensive. Cover your car for accidental damage, collisions, severe weather events, fire, theft, vandalism and malicious acts. Comprehensive cover also includes any modifications or accessories, such as alloy wheels, and even your custom sound system.
- Comprehensive Plus. With all the benefits of comprehensive insurance, Comprehensive Plus includes excess-free windscreen, sunroof and glass cover, and a hire vehicle while your car is being repaired or until your claim is settled.
- Veteran, vintage and classic. If you drive a veteran, a vintage or a classic vehicle, SGIO provides cover for the car’s agreed value against accidental or malicious damage, collisions, severe weather events, fire and theft.
How does each cover type compare?
For a breakdown of what each policy offers, check out the table below.
|Third party property damage||Third party fire and theft||Veteran, Vintage and Classic||Comprehensive||Comprehensive Plus|
|Loss or damage to your car|
|Crash with at-fault driver|
|Baby capsules and child seats|
|Hire car after incident|
|Key and lock repairs|
|New replacement car|
|Tools and equipment|
|Trailer or caravan damage|
|Vehicle pick-up and return|
|Windscreen, sunroof and window glass damage|
What additional cover options are there?
Hire car. An optional extra with Comprehensive policies and included in Comprehensive Plus, this option provides you with a hire car to a limit of $95 a day, and up to $3,000 for any hire car excess or bond.
Windscreen. This option is available with both comprehensive policies and covers you for any incident that affects only your windscreen, sunroof or window glass. Damage to other parts of the car are not included.
What exclusions are there?
It is not possible to claim any damage that happened outside Australia or the policy period. SGIO may reject your claim if:
- The driver was under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Your car was being driven by an unlicensed or suspended driver
- The damage was intentional or as a result of reckless driving
- Your car exceeded the legal passenger or load limit
- Your car was being used unlawfully or in conjunction with illegal activities
- Your car was used for racing or other motorsports
- The damage was a result of previous damage, faulty repairs, poor workmanship, rust, depreciation or general wear and tear
- Your car was not secured or left in an unsafe location
- Your tyres were damaged by punctures, bursts or braking
- You have otherwise breached your policy conditions, such as providing false information
What excess do I need to pay?
An excess is the amount you contribute towards the cost of your claim. Your Certificate of Insurance will show the types of excess that apply to your policy and how much they cost. You may need to pay more than one excess, depending on the amount of damage and how the incident occurred.
How do I make a claim?
If you are involved in an accident, contact any emergency services required, such as police or ambulance. Collect any information about the incident, such as driver details (full name, address and contact numbers) and vehicle details (make, model, registration and insurance information).
You can begin the claim process by contacting SGIO day or night on 133 233, or if you have Comprehensive Plus cover you can call 1300 654 903 for direct access to the additional benefits of your policy.
You can also lodge your claim online at sgio.com.au.