Find classic car insurance for your pride and joy with Lumley
Lumley Special Vehicles (LSV) specialises in comprehensive car insurance for classic cars. Part of the Insurance Australia Group, LSV offers its comprehensive policy to motoring enthusiasts around Australia. The policy covers you Australia-wide for loss of or damage to your vehicle, as well as for any damage your vehicle causes to someone else’s car or property. Customers with an LSV comprehensive policy are also able to take out LSV third party liability insurance.
LSV offers insurance for the following types of vehicles:
- Vintage cars. Vintage cars are vehicles manufactured prior to 1940.
- Classic cars. Classic cars are vehicles that are 25 years or older.
- Modern classics. This refers to cars older than 10 years and of limited build.
- Classic motorcycles. A classic motorcycle is a motorcycle that is 25 years or older.
Read on to find out more about the benefits and exclusions of LSV comprehensive car insurance and decide whether it’s right for you.
Policies available from Lumley
LSV specialises in the following car insurance policies for motoring enthusiasts:
- Comprehensive car insurance. LSV comprehensive car insurance covers loss of or damage to your vehicle caused by collision, theft, attempted theft, fire, storm, hail, malicious damage and much more. This includes cover for emergency repairs, personal effects, your choice of repairer and towing and storage costs. If you are legally liable to pay compensation after causing damage to someone else’s vehicle or property, $30 million worth of third party legal liability cover is also included.
- Third party liability insurance. This policy is available if you have a car insured under LSV’s comprehensive policy. It provides $30 million worth of legal liability protection when your vehicle causes damage to someone else’s vehicle or property.
LSV Car Insurance levels of cover
- Comprehensive car insurance.
- Your choice of repairer
- Lifetime guarantee on all authorised repairs
- Agreed value cover
- Salvage rights if your car is over 25 years old and a total loss
- Multi-car discount when you insure more than one vehicle
- $30 million of third party legal liability cover
- Covers accidental loss and damage Australia-wide
- No excess for no-fault accidents
- Emergency accommodation cover
- Discount for car club members
- Trailer cover
- Flexible excess options
- Third party liability insurance
- $30 million of legal liability cover
- Cover for legal costs
- Substitute vehicle cover
- Cleaning-up costs
- Maritime law liability
General exclusions applied to your policy
What excess will be charged?
When you make a claim through your LSV Car Insurance policy, you will most likely need to pay an excess. There are five types of excesses that may apply when you make a claim:
- Standard excess. This excess applies to all claims. Its amount is shown on your certificate of insurance.
- Driver age excess. This excess applies if the driver of your vehicle at the time of an accident is under the age of 25. If the driver is under the age of 22, a $1,000 excess applies. For drivers aged 22-24, this excess drops to $750.
- Driver inexperience excess. This excess of $500 is payable when the driver has held an Australian licence for less than three years.
- Special imposed excess. This excess may be imposed on your policy if special risk features apply.
- Theft and attempted theft excess. You will need to pay this $1,000 excess if your insurance schedule states that you were required to fit an immobiliser or other security device to your vehicle and, at the time of theft or attempted theft, this was not fitted or in working order.
- No-claim bonus. A maximum no-claim discount of 65% is available for drivers who do not make any claims on their LSV policy.
Steps to save further on your policy
There are several things you can do to cut down on your LSV comprehensive car insurance premium, including:
- Choosing a higher excess. You can adjust your excess amount to a higher level in order to receive cheaper premiums.
- Insuring more than one car. LSV offers discounted premiums to customers who insure more than one vehicle.
- Driving less. LSV offers limited usage cover, meaning that you can pay less for cover if you drive your car less.
- Securing your vehicle. Installing an immobiliser or other anti-theft device can help cut the cost of cover.
- Car club discounts. Car club members may also be eligible for an additional premium discount.
Making a claim with Lumley
If you need to make a claim on your LSV policy, make sure you first take all reasonable steps to prevent any further loss or damage from occurring. You must not admit any fault or liability, but you must report any incidents of theft or vandalism to the police.
It’s important to advise LSV’s office via phone or in writing as soon as possible of your intention to make a claim. You can then complete a claims form with the full details of the incident. The form is available for download from the LSV website or can be mailed to you by the insurer.
Some final questions you might have
If you own a classic or vintage car or motorcycle and you need comprehensive cover, LSV comprehensive motor insurance is well worth considering. Compare it alongside other comprehensive car insurance policies at finder.com.au today.