Young Couple Driving Overseas

Car Insurance for Australians Overseas

Heading abroad and planning on buying, renting or borrowing a car? Find out how to get car insurance in place.

Driving overseas isn’t quite as simple as getting behind the wheel and hitting the open road. Depending on your destination, an Australian driver’s license might not qualify you to drive and your car insurance might not cover you. Also, if you plan on taking a car outside of Australia, you’ll need to know about customs duties.

You’ll also need to be aware of the differences you’ll encounter on the roads and what to do if you have an accident. This guide explains what you need to know before hitting the road in countries other than Australia.

Overseas car insurance options for Australians

The most important forms of cover you need are medical cover and personal liability cover. Travel insurance will generally be the most cost-effective way of finding these types of cover, but you should check the policy to make sure it includes cover while you’re driving.

International car insurance policies are available, but they can be difficult to find. Fortunately, it might not be necessary depending on your circumstances.

  • If you’re renting a car: You can get car insurance through the rental company. If you plan on doing this, it may be a good idea to consider rental car excess insurance to reduce your excess charge in the event of an accident. You can purchase this as a standalone policy or included with travel insurance.
  • If you’re borrowing a car: Check what kind of policy the car owner has. It might not cover you, or it might not have enough cover for your needs. Once again, travel insurance can provide liability and medical cover. The ideal option may be to contact the car insurer and see if you can adjust the cover or add yourself to the policy.
  • If you’re travelling outside of Australia with your car: International car insurance will generally be required. You will also typically need a carnet and can get overseas car insurance through the same organisations.

International Driving Permits

Not all countries will recognise an Australian driver’s license. If you are pulled over in one of these countries and don’t have an International Driving Permit (IDP), you may be treated as if you were driving without a license. IDPs are universally recognised and will let you drive legally almost anywhere in the world.

IDPs are valid for 12 months and require you to have a full Australian driver’s license.

Which countries require an International Driving Permit?

  • Check this registry for each country where you plan on driving. If any of them call for an international driver’s license, you will need to obtain one.

What you need for an IDP. IDPs are valid for 12 months and have the following requirements:

  • You must be over 18 years of age.
  • You must have a valid Australian driver’s license (not a probationary or learner license).
  • You need a recent, valid passport photo to use for the license.
  • You need to pay a $39 fee. This fee is the same regardless of where you apply.

Where to get an IDP. You can get an International Driving Permit through Australian Automobile Association affiliates. Nationwide, you can get an IDP from any of the following providers:

  • NRMA
  • RACV
  • RACQ
  • RAA
  • RAC

International Driving Permit FAQs


You can think of a Carnet de Passages en Douane, or carnet for short (pronounced car-nay), as a passport for your car. You will generally need one if you’re temporarily taking a car outside of Australia. Without it, you will need to pay customs duty, in the local currency, when bringing an Australian car across a border.

When you get a CPD carnet in Australia, the Australian Automobile Association will pay these custom duties on your behalf with the fee it charged for the carnet.

If your vehicle is from Australia:

  • A carnet is essential for taking vehicles through African, Asian, Middle Eastern, South American and Pacific countries.
  • A carnet is not required for cars, campervans or motorcycles entering most countries in Europe or North America for holidaying purposes. For all other vehicles, and all other purposes, you will either need a carnet or you will need to pay the local import duty. If you’ll be driving through Europe or North American, you can contact the Australian Automobile Association for a complete list of countries that currently require a carnet.

Tips for driving overseas

Driving overseas carries significant risks and you should exercise great caution on unfamiliar roads. Worldwide, more than a million people die on the roads each year, and over 90% of these deaths occur in low and middle-income countries.

Statistically, you can expect more dangerous roads in almost any other country and should anticipate certain hazards. Depending on your destination, the following are some of the main hazards to watch out for:

  • Poorly maintained roads
  • Reckless drivers
  • Poor lighting
  • Other traffic, including pedestrians, cyclists and livestock moving at different speeds
  • Transport crime

Consider your need to drive and whether it’s the right way to see each country. In addition, keep the following information in mind:

  1. Know how to contact your travel insurer. Keep your travel cover info with you while travelling, so you can easily get in touch with your insurer as needed. Take down their emergency contact number and keep it in your phone or somewhere safe just in case you lose the papers.
  2. Know how to use your insurance: Make sure you know how to use your overseas cover. This guide explains what to do after an accident overseas and has a handy list of some of the emergency contact numbers for many prominent travel insurance brands.
  3. Consider an International Driving Permit even if you don’t need one. It’s another form of internationally recognised identification in case your passport goes missing. It’s also the only type of formal identification that comes in nine languages, making it useful almost everywhere.
  4. Watch out for counterfeit IDPs. These are available online and are usually sold at inflated prices. If it costs more than $39, it might be fraudulent. If it’s being sold on eBay, it’s probably also a fake.
  5. Remember that most countries don’t drive on the left. Australia is something of an oddity in this way, and you should consciously avoid slipping into old habits, especially when there isn’t much other traffic to remind you.
  6. Pack travel insurance. The Australian Government recommends travel insurance for all overseas destinations, regardless of how safe or dangerous they might be. Unfamiliarity means things are more likely to go wrong for travellers, and personal liability and medical expenses can be potentially devastating no matter where in the world you are. For the cover it delivers, travel insurance can be exceptionally cost effective.
Picture: Shutterstock

Get the latest car insurance news

Andrew Munro

Andrew writes for, comparing products, writing guides and looking for new ways to help people make smart decisions. He's a fan of insurance, business news and cryptocurrency.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    PeterMay 5, 2018

    My wife and I will be travelling to Italy in a couple of weeks. We will be staying with friends and borrowing their car to drive around in. We will be away for a period of 7 weeks. Both of us have Australian and IDP’s licenses. No accidents in last 10 yrs. Both over 60 yrs of age.
    Third Party Ins is compulsory in Italy and they have it. However, it does not cover repairs to the car we borrow and I would like to obtain this type of cover if possible. The insurer in Italy does not offer this kind of cover – only Third Party. Our Travel Ins company (Covermore) do not provide it. Neither do a number of other Australian insurers I have spoken to. I am seeking advice as to whom I can get such cover from, even if it means taking out a fully comprehensive policy. Any suggestions about who to turn to?

    • finder Customer Care
      JeniMay 6, 2018Staff

      Hi Peter,

      Thank you for getting in touch with finder.

      This is really a tough situation since you have enquired to some Australian insurers regarding this matter. I suggest that you compare rental quotes from a number of companies online. You may want to check out this link to see a list of insurers that offer car rental excess insurance.

      In addition, you may want to visit this link to see if these insurers would be helpful in getting a car rental excess insurance than you can use in Italy.

      As a friendly reminder, while we do not represent any company we feature on our pages, we can offer you general advice.

      I hope this helps.

      Have a great day!


Ask a question
Go to site