Car hire in Townsville and Magnetic Island
Headed to Queensland's Townsville or Magnetic Island? You'll want in on these car hire deals.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
There's so much to do in and around Townsville from the tropical playground of Magnetic Island to the nation's pride the Great Barrier Reef.
The trick to seeing it all in record time is by hiring a car - and with our car hire deals you can also see them all on a slim budget.
Here are the deals, as well as popular driving routes and frequently asked questions so you can head straight from the boat to the beach.
Top deals on car hire in Townsville and Magnetic Island
To drive to Magnetic Island, you need to catch the Fantasea ferry from Breakwater Ferry Terminal. This is a 10km drive from Townsville Airport and is the closest airport to the island.
Standard motor vehicle rates on the ferry range from $98 each way in the shoulder season (school and public holidays) and $110 each way in the high season (Christmas week, New Years week and Easter).
As well as standard vehicles, you can take trailers up to and over five metres, motorbikes and bicycles.
Typically, ferries travel in both directions eight times daily from Monday to Friday and seven times daily on weekends. Extra services operate over the Easter holidays.
The ferry ride is approximately 20 minutes long.
Road rules: What to know about driving in Townsville and Magnetic Island
- On the main road, the default speed limit is 60km/h. Off the main road, it's 50km/h.
- Slow down for wildlife. Especially at dusk and late at night, it is important to watch out for wildlife, much of which is rare or endangered. If you find an injured animal on Magnetic Island, stop safely, wrap the animal in a towel and call the Magnetic Island Fauna Care Organisation on 4758 1457.
Popular Townsville driving routes
- Magnetic Island: Townsville is the gateway to the tropical paradise that is Magnetic Island. It's a simple 10 kilometre drive along State Route 16.
- Paluma: For a taste of the rainforest, Paluma is only a 45-minute drive from Townsville and offers bountiful bushwalks, swimming holes and local cafes.
- Orpheus Island: One of the Great Barrier Reef's most stunning dots in the ocean, if there's only one thing you do on Orpheus make it a snorkel or dive. Surrounded by reef fringe, it's home to thousands of underwater creatures.
- Airlie Beach: Drive south to the gateway to the Whitsundays along the east coast of Queensland. This 3.5 hour drive snakes along the coast devouring coastal view after coastal view. From Airlie Beach you can hop onto the ferry to Hamilton Island.
Popular Magnetic Island driving routes
- Horseshoe Bay. The best beach for watersports, plus opportunities to swim, sail and fish if you’d prefer something more laid-back. Pack a picnic or dine in one of the beachside eateries. Less than 20 minutes drive from Nelly Bay.
- Arcadia. Just beside Nelly Bay, in Magnetic Island’s smallest bay, you’ll find Arcadia. You can swim in Alma Bay and cook a barbeque on the beach, or head to the protected waters of Geoffrey Bay to explore some pristine marine ecosystems and feed the local rock wallabies. It’s also a five-minute drive from Nelly Bay.
- Picnic Bay. Heading south from Nelly Bay, the road along the coast will quickly bring you to the aptly-named Picnic Bay. Relax on the jetty for a spot of fishing, go snorkelling, swim, see a shipwreck, or perhaps play a round of golf before having some tucker on the beach.
Frequently asked questions about car hire
What car hire companies are at from Townsville Airport?
You can also rent a vehicle on Magnetic Island through Tropical Topless Car Rentals, MI Wheels Classic Moke Hire and Magnetic Island Auto Rentals & Repairs.
I'm on my provisional licence. Can I drive in Townsville and Magnetic Island?
Yes. However, you will be subject to Queensland’s provisional laws and restrictions.
How does car insurance work?
If you have travel insurance, you may already have rental car excess insurance as part of your policy. If not, your car hire company will likely offer to insure your vehicle, but you can also choose to purchase car insurance through another insurer.
Click here to learn more and compare car rental excess insurance policies.
More guides on finder
Holiday homes in Hamilton Island | Where to book your stay
Find your perfect stay on your next visit to this picturesque island off the Whitsunday Coast.
Western Australia travel restrictions: Where you can go in October 2020
What you need to know before you travel in WA, including which attractions and national parks are open, where you can stay and the available modes of transport.
Tasmania travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Read our up-to-date guide on the accommodation, tourist attractions and travel services open in Tasmania as well as any rules and restrictions you should know about.
Best places to visit in South Australia
Discover tourist hotspots like Adelaide and Kangaroo Valley and best kept secrets such as the Yorke Peninsula and Mount Gambier on your next trip around South Australia.
Best places to visit in New South Wales
NSW has a lot to show you. We've rounded up the best places to visit around the state – from offshore islands to wine regions to the original highlights of this diverse land.
Best remote beaches in Australia you’ll practically have to yourself
We found the top remote beaches in Australia so that you can venture off of the tourist trail and experience pristine beaches all to yourself.
What’s open in Perth right now?
The shopping centres, attractions, venues and eateries that are open in Perth.
Bushfire-impacted areas that need your tourism dollars
Support local by booking a winter break to regional Australia's most impacted spots.
Best places to go in the Philippines
Enjoy island escapes, historic towns and all the lechon you can handle.
Best places to visit in October 2020
Our top five Australia destinations to spend the middle of spring in. Plus, the best destinations to visit in Europe, USA, Asia and more for future travels.
Ask an Expert