Car hire in Vancouver
Enjoy car hire deals to make your Vancouver driving holiday unforgettable.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Vancouver sits on the coast of British Columbia in Canada.
At its doorstep is a cornucopia of spectacular driving routes through landscapes that will leave you speechless.
Read on for unbeatable deals on car hire, must-know road rules, an intro to some of the region’s best drives and answers to frequently asked questions about car hire in Vancouver.
Top car hire Vancouver deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|20 Jan 2021||Up to 15% off Australia rentals||HOL****|
|14 Dec 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|20 Jan 2021||Get 10% off NSW car hires||LOV****|
|18 Jan 2021||$20 off $200 car hires||FIN****|
|22 Jan 2021||Get up to 20% off 3+ day rentals||210****|
Car hire from Vancouver Airport:
You can hire cars direct from Vancouver Airport with these companies:
Road rules: What to know about driving in Vancouver
- Drive on the right. When driving in Canada, you must drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- You can turn right on a red light. Provided it is safe to do so, you have come to a complete stop and there are no signs specifically prohibiting it, turning right at a red traffic light is legal. This rule applies throughout British Columbia but not across all of Canada, so drive with caution.
- In built-up areas, the default speed limit is 50km/h.In rural areas, it is 80km/h, and on major highways, it is 110km/h.
- Watch out for wildlife. The rural speed limit is low for a reason: large animals such as bears and elk are common sights along the road and collisions can be deadly. Information about what to do if you find injured wildlife can be found on the British Columbia Wildlife Park website.
Popular Vancouver driving routes
- The Sea to Sky Highway. This is one of Canada’s most spectacular drives. It takes you from Vancouver to Whistler and the Fraser River through fjords, valleys, mountains, cliffs and plateaus. At just over 160km long, the drive only takes 2 hours.
- Vancouver Island. Take the ferry to Nanaimo and spend a day or two exploring Vancouver Island. From the sandy beaches of Tofino and the ancient trees of Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park to the Wild Pacific Trail and the Butchart Gardens, there is no shortage of fantastic drives and attractions.
- The Icefields Parkway. The ultimate mountain drive. Travel through the Canadian Rockies and find out how the road got its name as you drive past Banff and Jasper National Parks, ancient glaciers, waterfalls, lakes and gravity-defying rock formations. The road itself is 230km long, and if you’re coming from Vancouver, it’s best to do the trip over at least 2 days.
Frequently asked questions about car hire
What side of the road do you drive on in Vancouver?
You drive on the right-hand side. This applies throughout Canada and the U.S.
Do I need an international driver's licence to drive in Vancouver?
No. You can drive with a valid licence from your country of origin for up to six months. However, if you do have an International Driving Permit, you can use it for up to a year.
Who offers cheap car hire from Vancouver International Airport?
I'm on my provisional licence. Can I drive in Vancouver?
Yes. However, many car insurance companies require you to have a full, non-provisional licence in order to hire a car. It is also worth noting that many companies will not rent cars to people under the age of 21.
How does car insurance work?
Your car hire company will probably offer to insure your vehicle as part of the deal. Alternatively, you can purchase car insurance through another insurance company. As an international driver, your travel insurance may cover your car hire, depending on your type of cover.
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
Campervan hire in Perth | Where to book, what to know
Whether you’re headed into the outback or along the coast, make your trip that bit smoother with the perfect campervan.
Campervan hire in New Zealand | Where to book, what to know
Take your exploration to the next level with this guide to campervan hire in New Zealand.
9 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Ask an Expert