Car hire in Vancouver
Enjoy car hire deals to make your Vancouver driving holiday unforgettable.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Vancouver sits on the coast of British Columbia in Canada.
At its doorstep is a cornucopia of spectacular driving routes through landscapes that will leave you speechless.
Read on for unbeatable deals on car hire, must-know road rules, an intro to some of the region’s best drives and answers to frequently asked questions about car hire in Vancouver.
Top car hire Vancouver deals
Popular Car Hire coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|7 Oct 2020||$20 off nationwide rentals||FIN****|
|28 Sep 2020||Get $20 credit||FIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Get 1 day free on Australia car hires||205****|
|21 Oct 2020||Free upgrade on Australia rentals||205****|
|21 Oct 2020||4th day free + free upgrade on Australia car hires||TPP****|
Car hire from Vancouver Airport:
You can hire cars direct from Vancouver Airport with these companies:
Road rules: What to know about driving in Vancouver
- Drive on the right. When driving in Canada, you must drive on the right-hand side of the road.
- You can turn right on a red light. Provided it is safe to do so, you have come to a complete stop and there are no signs specifically prohibiting it, turning right at a red traffic light is legal. This rule applies throughout British Columbia but not across all of Canada, so drive with caution.
- In built-up areas, the default speed limit is 50km/h.In rural areas, it is 80km/h, and on major highways, it is 110km/h.
- Watch out for wildlife. The rural speed limit is low for a reason: large animals such as bears and elk are common sights along the road and collisions can be deadly. Information about what to do if you find injured wildlife can be found on the British Columbia Wildlife Park website.
Popular Vancouver driving routes
- The Sea to Sky Highway. This is one of Canada’s most spectacular drives. It takes you from Vancouver to Whistler and the Fraser River through fjords, valleys, mountains, cliffs and plateaus. At just over 160km long, the drive only takes 2 hours.
- Vancouver Island. Take the ferry to Nanaimo and spend a day or two exploring Vancouver Island. From the sandy beaches of Tofino and the ancient trees of Cathedral Grove in MacMillan Provincial Park to the Wild Pacific Trail and the Butchart Gardens, there is no shortage of fantastic drives and attractions.
- The Icefields Parkway. The ultimate mountain drive. Travel through the Canadian Rockies and find out how the road got its name as you drive past Banff and Jasper National Parks, ancient glaciers, waterfalls, lakes and gravity-defying rock formations. The road itself is 230km long, and if you’re coming from Vancouver, it’s best to do the trip over at least 2 days.
Frequently asked questions about car hire
What side of the road do you drive on in Vancouver?
You drive on the right-hand side. This applies throughout Canada and the U.S.
Do I need an international driver's licence to drive in Vancouver?
No. You can drive with a valid licence from your country of origin for up to six months. However, if you do have an International Driving Permit, you can use it for up to a year.
Who offers cheap car hire from Vancouver International Airport?
I'm on my provisional licence. Can I drive in Vancouver?
Yes. However, many car insurance companies require you to have a full, non-provisional licence in order to hire a car. It is also worth noting that many companies will not rent cars to people under the age of 21.
How does car insurance work?
Your car hire company will probably offer to insure your vehicle as part of the deal. Alternatively, you can purchase car insurance through another insurance company. As an international driver, your travel insurance may cover your car hire, depending on your type of cover.
More guides on finder
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
COVID Car-ching! 9 million Aussies could save on their car insurance
In recent Finder survey shows that 28% of Australians are not driving their cars as much as they were pre-pandemic.
DiDi driver guide: Melbourne
Find out everything you need to know - from car requirements to getting paid - about becoming a rideshare driver with DiDi in Melbourne.
DiDi car rentals
Find out more about how you can be a driver with DiDi, even if you don't own your own car. Rent a car and start making money using the ridesharing platform.
Allianz vs NRMA car insurance
Allianz vs NRMA car insurance – we look at the differences to help make your decision easier.
Youi Car Insurance vs AAMI
Youi Car Insurance or AAMI? Compare their policies here.
AAMI vs NRMA Car Insurance
AAMI Car Insurance or NRMA? Compare their policies here.
Budget Direct vs Bingle Car Insurance
Budget Direct Car Insurance or Bingle? Compare their policies here.
Budget Direct vs NRMA Car Insurance
Budget Direct Car Insurance vs NRMA - which provider is right for you? Compare their policies here.
Ask an Expert