Car hire Airlie Beach deals
We’ve got the top car hire deals to get you on the road in Airlie Beach.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Airlie Beach is not only the gateway to the Whitsundays but a destination in itself.
If you’re considering a self-driving tour, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve found unbeatable deals on car hire, listed important road rules and unmissable driving routes, and answered some frequently asked questions about car hire in Airlie Beach.
Here’s to a stress-free tropical getaway.
The closest airport to Airlie Beach is Prosperine. From there you can book car rentals with the following companies:
There's also a Europcar, Hertz and Avis in Airlie Beach town.
Road rules: What to know about driving in Airlie Beach
- Drive on the left-hand side of the road. This applies everywhere in Australia.
- The default speed limit in built-up areas is 50km/h. In rural areas it is 100km/h, unless otherwise indicated, and on highways it is 110km/h.
- Beware of wildlife. Many kinds of wildlife, some endangered, are frequently found on or near roads. Drive with caution, especially at dusk and late at night. If you see an injured animal, safely pull over, wrap it in a towel and call the RSPCA on 1300 264 625.
- Give way to horses. If someone in control of a horse raises their hand and gestures to the horse, you should pull over onto the side of the road, turn your engine off and leave it off until the horse is far enough away not to be startled by the car’s engine or movement.
Frequently asked questions about car hire in Airlie Beach
I'm on my provisional licence. Can I drive in Airlie Beach?
Yes. However, you must obey Queensland’s rules and restrictions for drivers with a provisional licence.
How does car insurance work?
You will probably be offered rental car insurance by your car rental company. However, you can also purchase insurance through another provider.
And if you have travel insurance, you may already have hire car insurance included as part of your policy. However you insure your hire car, it’s important to select an excess amount that suits your budget, even eliminating the excess altogether if you so choose.
To learn more about hire car insurance and compare policies, click here.
Popular Airlie Beach driving routes
- Cedar Creek Falls. Just 35 minutes from Airlie Beach you'll find a seasonal waterfall tumbling down a cliff to a year-round swimming hole. Jump back in the car and drive on to Conway Beach and Wilson Beach, where you can go fishing, crabbing, swimming or kite surfing. There's no rush to get back, either – spend the night at a campsite for a real taste of nature.
- Bowen. Drive an hour north from Airlie Beach and you'll reach the historic town of Bowen. Attractions include the Big Mango visitor information centre, Flagstaff Hill lookout, humpback and minke whale watching in the winter months, Cape Edgecumbe Walking Trail, Queens Beach and the golf course alongside, and the beautiful Horseshoe Bay.
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Ask an Expert