Car hire Airlie Beach deals
We’ve got the top car hire deals to get you on the road in Airlie Beach.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Airlie Beach is not only the gateway to the Whitsundays but a destination in itself.
If you’re considering a self-driving tour, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve found unbeatable deals on car hire, listed important road rules and unmissable driving routes, and answered some frequently asked questions about car hire in Airlie Beach.
Here’s to a stress-free tropical getaway.
The closest airport to Airlie Beach is Prosperine. From there you can book car rentals with the following companies:
There's also a Europcar, Hertz and Avis in Airlie Beach town.
Road rules: What to know about driving in Airlie Beach
- Drive on the left-hand side of the road. This applies everywhere in Australia.
- The default speed limit in built-up areas is 50km/h. In rural areas it is 100km/h, unless otherwise indicated, and on highways it is 110km/h.
- Beware of wildlife. Many kinds of wildlife, some endangered, are frequently found on or near roads. Drive with caution, especially at dusk and late at night. If you see an injured animal, safely pull over, wrap it in a towel and call the RSPCA on 1300 264 625.
- Give way to horses. If someone in control of a horse raises their hand and gestures to the horse, you should pull over onto the side of the road, turn your engine off and leave it off until the horse is far enough away not to be startled by the car’s engine or movement.
Frequently asked questions about car hire in Airlie Beach
I'm on my provisional licence. Can I drive in Airlie Beach?
Yes. However, you must obey Queensland’s rules and restrictions for drivers with a provisional licence.
How does car insurance work?
You will probably be offered rental car insurance by your car rental company. However, you can also purchase insurance through another provider.
And if you have travel insurance, you may already have hire car insurance included as part of your policy. However you insure your hire car, it’s important to select an excess amount that suits your budget, even eliminating the excess altogether if you so choose.
To learn more about hire car insurance and compare policies, click here.
Popular Airlie Beach driving routes
- Cedar Creek Falls. Just 35 minutes from Airlie Beach you'll find a seasonal waterfall tumbling down a cliff to a year-round swimming hole. Jump back in the car and drive on to Conway Beach and Wilson Beach, where you can go fishing, crabbing, swimming or kite surfing. There's no rush to get back, either – spend the night at a campsite for a real taste of nature.
- Bowen. Drive an hour north from Airlie Beach and you'll reach the historic town of Bowen. Attractions include the Big Mango visitor information centre, Flagstaff Hill lookout, humpback and minke whale watching in the winter months, Cape Edgecumbe Walking Trail, Queens Beach and the golf course alongside, and the beautiful Horseshoe Bay.
More guides on finder
4 Northern Territory road trip itineraries for epic outback adventures
Hit the open outback road and explore some of the NT's most scenic national parks, waterfalls and hot springs.
Where to book 4WD hire
Ready to hit the open road on an off-road adventure? Book your 4WD at these rental companies for less.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
Holiday homes in Perth
Discover your home away from home in the centre of the city or along the beach in Perth.
Airlie Beach accommodation | Where to stay on the Whitsunday Coast
Compare Airlie Beach hotels, find the best sites to book them and get the latest coupon codes and deals to save on your stay.
How to plan a road trip for two | A couple of travel makers
Our personal tips and tricks on how to map out your road trip and what to pack for one smooth ride.
Holiday homes on Phillip Island | Where to book your stay
Getting your accommodation sorted on Phillip Island is easy with these holiday home sites.
Western Australia travel restrictions: Where you can go in October 2020
What you need to know before you travel in WA, including which attractions and national parks are open, where you can stay and the available modes of transport.
Tasmania travel restrictions | Where you can go in October 2020
Read our up-to-date guide on the accommodation, tourist attractions and travel services open in Tasmania as well as any rules and restrictions you should know about.
Where can you go in New South Wales in October 2020? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts travel bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Ask an Expert