Campervan hire from $5/day
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book and what to know
Love the idea of a cross-country road trip? A campervan relocation can be a budget-friendly way to have your next adventure.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Get up close and personal with Australia's lush rolling hills, glorious rainforests and endless beaches by relocating a campervan for a company at a bargain price.
From where to score a great deal for campervan relocation services to Australian road trip essentials, we've gathered the information you need to get ready for your cross-country adventure.
Where to book campervan relocations in Australia
DriveNow's easy-to-use booking system helps you compare and score deals on campervan rentals with a price guarantee. It also offers the following:
- Discounts: Rentals from $1 a day
- Features: Watchlist membership, which notifies you of available campervan relocations in your preferred locations and no prepayment required
- Why we love them: No hidden additional fees when booking
See more of Australia with Spaceships' flexible one-way deals but without the extra fees.
- Discounts: 10% off campervan hire
- Features: Booking flexibility, pay the price you see and anyone over 18 with a licence is eligible to book
- Why we love them: No fee for online payments
JUCY offers flexible itineraries and is best-known for its selection of innovative campervans and mini-RVs. It also offers the following:
- Discounts: Deals for as low as $1 a day
- Features: Unique and luxury vehicles for those who want to travel in style
- Why we love them: Unlimited mileage for campervan bookings
Motorhome Republic promises to provide the guaranteed cheapest deals for motorhome travel arrangements as well as the following:
- Discounts: From 5% off plus early-bird offers available
- Features: Comprehensive website to help you book based on desired features and choose from campervans that sleep from 2 to 6 people
- Why we love them: A variety of vehicles for every budget
Transfercar specialises in campervan relocations, so it doesn't charge extra fees for dropping your rented motorhome off in a new location. You also get the following:
- Discounts: No booking fees
- Features: Various vehicle types available to rent
- Why we love them: Some deals include unlimited mileage
Not only can you bag a bargain on your next camper, but Imoova also matches your holiday dates with vehicles in need of relocation.
- Discounts: Rentals from $1 a day
- Features: Some deals come with ferry inclusions* and all campers are fully equipped with cooking equipment, linens and bedding
- Why we love them: Take Imoova across the Tasman with bookings available in Australia and New Zealand
*Ferry inclusions come with selected vehicle bookings.
Pros and cons of relocating a campervan
- Because companies need to transport their vehicles to different locations, you can get remarkably good deals (as low as $1 or even free!) for renting and relocating a campervan to the company's chosen destination.
- You don't have to pay for accommodation on your trip since you can sleep in your motorhome.
- Campervan relocations are much more affordable than typical rentals, so are perfect for budget travellers.
- The rental company usually sets a schedule for the delivery of the vehicle, meaning you won't be able to spontaneously extend your trip.
- Some points of origin and destinations may not be available.
- Planning may get complicated because you'll need to arrange an alternate means of getting back home.
- You might be limited by the number of kilometres you can travel without paying additional fees.
What's the difference between a one-way hire and a campervan relocation?
A one-way campervan hire is when you rent a campervan and arrange to drop it off at a different location from where you started.
This is a good option if you want to travel at your own pace, but it typically comes with a surcharge (because the company may need to transport the vehicle back to its original location).
On the other hand, campervan relocations provide less flexibility, but much better value. A relocation occurs when a company needs to move a vehicle from one place to another.
Because it's a necessary part of their business, it's beneficial for both parties: You go on a road trip and they get their campervan moved for free.
With relocations, you have a defined pick-up point and drop-off location. You will also have a limited time window to deliver, though extensions may be granted in some cases.
Tips for relocating a campervan in Australia
- Plan a rough route
Given the size of Australia, it's easy to underestimate how long it will take you to drive from point A to point B. To keep on schedule, it's ideal to have a rough idea of where you want to travel and what routes you'll take to get there.
- Avoid unsealed roads
If you're heading to the Australian outback, you'll need to be conscious about driving on an unsealed road (such as a field or gravel track) as they may put too much stress on the vehicle. As issues caused when driving on unsealed roads aren't usually covered by insurance, any damage caused may be charged upon arrival, so looking after your campervan is essential for staying on budget.
- Stay vigilant for Australian wildlife
Some wildlife are more active late at night or early in the morning when temperatures are cooler, so make sure you keep an eye out for kangaroos and koalas while on the road.
- Monitor the status of bushfires
The best way to travel safely in the summer is to stay on top of developing wildfire news. We recommend following the social feeds of relevant fire authorities in each state, downloading a dedicated bushfire app and having local emergency hotlines saved on your phone.
What to know before renting a campervan in Australia
What licence do I need to drive and relocate a motorhome in Australia?
A full driver's licence is required for renting a campervan in Australia, and it must be valid for the whole length of the rental.
If you're from overseas, you'll need an International Driving Permit. An approved and accredited English translation by the Australian Automobile Association of your home country licence is accepted in lieu of an International Driving Permit.
Are there any age restrictions for driving a caravan in Australia?
You must be at least 21 years old to be able to drive a campervan in Australia. Some campervan relocation companies may allow drivers as young as 18, but they may have to pay a young driver's fee and purchase additional insurance.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
When renting a campervan in Australia, most companies provide mandatory third-party insurance known as "standard insurance", which doesn't cover any damages to the vehicle if you are in an accident that is your fault.
You're not required to have additional insurance coverage, but if you want to be fully covered in the event of an accident, there's a variety of third-party options you can purchase on top of your standard insurance.
What does a campervan relocation in Australia cost?
Some websites provide discounted campervan relocation deals as low as $1 per day, or even for free, though you'll still have to cover the cost of gas and any additional insurance. For example, DriveNow has rentals for as little as $1, while Transfercar has free deals, with options to extend for a small fee.
Do I get to choose the type of campervan when relocating it?
Because you'll be relocating a specific vehicle to the location required by the company, you cannot usually choose the type of campervan. However, you can filter your search on websites if you want to drive a certain type of vehicle.
How long do I get when hiring a relocation vehicle? Will I have time to sightsee along the way?
Depending on the distance and urgency of the relocation, you can expect a rental period of 2-10 days. Some companies will allow you to extend an extra day or two, but you can get a good idea of how much time you'll have to sightsee when browsing listings online, as they always indicate the maximum length of each rental.
Do I get to choose my own driving route?
Yes! But while a little spontaneity keeps your adventure exciting, the mileage allowance is usually based on the distance between pick-up and drop-off locations – plus 550kms. So, be prepared to pay a fee for any kilometres travelled in addition to this.
What is included in the cost when relocating a vehicle?
Rates typically include toll roads, unlimited kilometres, linen packs, cooking equipment and 24-hour roadside assistance.
However, the specific inclusions depend on the company you'll be renting from, so it's best to check exactly what's included before booking. Also, be prepared to cover expenses for fuel, extra mileage fees and generator usage.
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 75% off deluxe massage chairs, 45% off mini wildlife cameras, 64% off BBQ Grill Charcoal Smokers.
The 10 best Adventure games of all time
From Day of the Tentacle to Life is Strange, these are the 10 best Adventure games in the history of gaming with links to buy.
Best tyres in Australia
Hit the road safely with the best tyres you can buy in Australia right now.
Biggest European stocks and exchanges you should know
SPONSORED: Your guide to the 5 largest European stock exchanges and the 5 largest European stocks by market cap.
The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals
A tax return isn't the only thing you have to look forward to this end of financial year.
Best bourbon in Australia
From the best one for old-fashioneds to the top product under $50, these are the 6 best bourbons you can buy in Australia right now.
What are the most popular stocks of 2021?
SPONSORED: Here are the top traded stocks in 2021, according to broker VantageFX
Stuck with Virgin or Qantas credits? How to take action
With snap border closures continuing to halt the travel plans of many in Australia, we asked seven Finder staff what they’re doing with their travel credits.
13 best pet-friendly accommodation options on the Gold Coast
A list of pet-friendly accommodation on the Gold Coast, so you can take your fur-baby travelling with you.
Best retinol creams and serums in Australia
These are the 10 best retinols in Australia for every purpose, budget and skin type.
Ask an Expert