Campervan hire in Tasmania | Where to book, what to know
Feel the freedom and explore the untamed beauty of Tasmania with your ideal campervan from these hire companies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you're looking for a rugged adventure combined with awe-inspiring scenery on your next road trip, there's no better place than Tasmania.
From the breathtaking peaks of Cradle Mountain to the pristine coastline and wilds of the national parks, Australia's island state is perfect for long, meandering campervan holidays.
Here's our guide on hiring your home on wheels for your next travel adventure in Tasmania.
Where to book campervan hire in Tasmania
Britz provides a range of spacious, high-end campervans. Choose from compact vans for two to a home on wheels for large families and groups.
- Essentials, including kitchen gear and bedding are included
- Pet-friendly options available
- Travel videos, navigation tools and 24/7 phone support
Providing quality service since 1985, Apollo makes road trips easy with a huge range of top-notch campervans. This includes compact hi top campers for two, spacious motorhomes and 4WD campers.
- Plan ahead with a selection of itineraries and a helpful travel blog
- Download the ApolloConnect app for "how-to" videos, access to campsites and special deals on local attractions
- 24/7 roadside assistance
Image: GoCheap Campervans
Tasmanian owned and operated, GoCheap Campervans specialises in budget-friendly campers that don't skimp on quality. Relax on your road trip with a fully equipped kitchen, television and bedding.
- Get 5% off early bird bookings or 10% off for hires over 21 days
- Price match guarantee on the same campervan and dates
- Includes 24/7 roadside assistance
Image: Cruisin' Motorhomes
Homegrown Tasmanian company Cruisin' offers a personal touch to your road tripping adventure. Owners Dennis and Tina Lucas provide everything from two-berth hi tops to six-berth deluxe campervans.
- Early bird and long hire discounts
- Flexible cancellation options including refunds and credits
- Large range of vehicles to accommodate up to 6 people
Image: Maui Rentals
Image: Tasmania Campers
For the budget conscious, Tasmanian Campers provides cheap rentals on comfortable campervans. Cruise the Tasmanian coastline in a roomy home-away-from-home or go bush in a 4WD bush camper.
- Specialises in off-road adventures with roomy 4WD campervans
- Free starter pack with regional and activities guide
- Rates as low as $40 for trips over 22 days in the winter and $200 in the peak summer season
Campervan hire locations in Tasmania
Most campervan hire companies in Tasmania have pick up and drop off available from Hobart only. However, some rental companies provide vehicle hire locations in other cities including Devonport and Launceston. Bargain Car Rentals and Leisure Rent have campervans available from these cities.
Tips for driving a campervan in Tasmania
A road trip through Tasmania takes you on all sorts of twists and turns. Here's a few tips to help you have a safe and enjoyable journey:
- It takes around 7 days (1,500km) to do the full lap around Tasmania. There's plenty of long stretches so be sure to take rest breaks every two hours or so.
- Take note of speed signs on winding roads and slow down.
- Campervans can be double the height and length of regular vehicles. Make sure to watch for height indicator signs at low level crossings or car parks.
- It's best to avoid driving at night as many nocturnal animals are active on Tasmanian roads after dusk.
- Watch out for kangaroos particularly at dusk and dawn.
- There are many unsealed dirt roads that you can take in Tasmania but be sure to slow down and drive carefully on them.
- Certain watercourses in Tasmania can be prone to flooding when it storms including the Sullivans Cove and Sandy Bay areas in Hobart, the Agnes Rivulet and Dover Rivulet and parts of Kermandie River and the Franklin Foreshore. If you come across a road that is flooded you should avoid it as driving through can be extremely dangerous.
What to know before renting a campervan in Tasmania
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Tasmania?
You'll need a full driver's licence to drive a motorhome in Tasmania.
If you're coming from overseas, you can hire a campervan with an international driver's licence which must be in English.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Tasmania?
Most rental companies have a minimum age restriction of 21 to hire a caravan. Some companies have options for people aged 18 to 21 with special conditions such as Tasmanian Campers and Britz.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
Most companies cover basic caravan insurance in your campervan rental, however, it's worth looking into a more comprehensive insurance to be on the safe side. If you're towing a caravan you may need to insure this separately.
For more information, take a look at our guide on motorhome insurance.
What does campervan hire in Tasmania cost?
Factors influencing the cost of campervan hire in Tasmania include the time of year you're travelling, the length of hire, the size of the campervan and any extra comforts you require.
According to Motorhome Republic, a campervan hire for one week during summer ranges from $3,706 to $3,977 if you pick up in Devonport and drop off in Hobart. A summer trip from Hobart to Launceston for one week ranges from $2,297 to $3,678.
For a winter road trip, rental prices can range between $666 and $1,126 in Tasmania.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Tasmania?
You'll find luxury campervans with Britz, Apollo Campers and Maui Rentals. These campers are kept in top condition and offer panoramic views, spacious interiors and mod-cons including fully equipped kitchens.
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Tasmania?GoCheap Campervans, Cruisin' and Tasmania Campers all cater to people looking for economical travel options that are still comfortable and include all the essentials.
Which companies offer off road and 4WD campervan hire in Tasmania?Apollo offers 4WD campers for the adventurous types including plenty of space and pop top roofs. Britz and Tasmania Campers also offer two, four and five berth 4WD campers.
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Tasmania?Britz, Maui, Cruisin', and GoCheap Campervans all offer 6 berth campervans for hire in Tasmania.
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
Ask an Expert