Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Take advantage of the incredible road tripping opportunities in New South Wales with an affordable or luxury camper picked up in Sydney.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Delve deep into the Blue Mountains, take on the Grand Pacific Drive, explore the age-old Hunter Valley wine region or head north along the picture-perfect East Coast; there's so much opportunity for a campervanning adventure if you set off from Sydney.
Whether you're after a budget-friendly option, are looking to avoid young-driver fees or a fully decked-out ride, we've narrowed down the top places to hire a campervan in Sydney for you.
Where to book campervan hire in Sydney
From cosy two-berth to family friendly six-berth options, Britz has you covered when it comes to road tripping in luxury. Each vehicle contains everything you need for your trip including kitchen essentials and bed linen.
- Fleet is younger than four years old
- Pet-friendly campervan hire available
- Indoor kitchens and bathrooms
Image: Travellers Autobarn
Established in 1993, Travellers Autobarn has decades of experience providing road trippers with everything from spacious station wagons to three-berth camper vans, all at rock bottom prices.
- No young driver fees or exclusions
- Access to free campgrounds and discounts at caravan parks
- Option to buy campervan or car for longer trips
Recognised for their out-of-this-world looking vehicles, Spaceships offers compact campers without skimping on the amenities. All of the campervans include cooking and sleeping gear, as well as a fridge.
- Free cancellation up to seven days before your trip
- No extra fees for 18 to 21-year-olds
- Smaller vehicles for easier driving
- No one-way fee
With more than 35 years of experience in the campervan world, Apollo Campers offers a huge range of road-tripping companions including 4WD campers, spacious six-berth motorhomes, and compact campervans.
- Modern 4WD campervans are available for thrill-seekers
- Apollo Connect App is the perfect buddy on your adventure
- Unlimited kilometre allowance
- A fleet of modern vehicles manufactured by Winnebago Australia
Image: Mighty Campers
An Australian-born company, Mighty Campers knows what it takes to tackle those long stretches of road down under. They also cater for all budgets, which means a Mighty Camper may be withinreach.
- Huge range of vehicles to choose from including ensuite options
- Round the clock phone support and roadside assistance
- Pet-friendly campervans are available
Image: Hippie Camper
Hippie Camper's fleet of vehicles are loud and proud and cater to a young adventurous audience. While its fleet may be slightly dated compared to other companies on the market, its budget-friendly pricing is very attractive.
- Compact vehicles that sleep between two and three people
- Rents to young drivers (18+) with a valid driving licence
- Affordable one-way campervan rentals with no one-way fee
If you're looking for a spot of luxury while you're on the road, consider checking out Maui. With a fleet of young campervans to choose from, complete with all of the mod cons you'll need, this is the glamorous home away from home you've been dreaming of.
- Almost all vehicles are guaranteed to be under two years old
- Full bathroom and kitchen facilities
- Linen exchange and valet services for those on longer trips
Image: Cruisin' Motorhomes
Family-owned and family-run, Cruisin' prides itself on its personalised service and high-quality campervans. Perfect for the mid-range or luxury camper, you'll find a selection of two, four and six-berth campervans to pick from.
- Equipped with linen, cutlery, crockery and bedding
- All of the campervans are a maximum of four years old.
- Several branches along the East Coast for convenient pick-up and drop-off points
Image: Let's Go
Perfect for those hoping to hit the road with all of their creature comforts, Let's Go has a large fleet of modern and luxury campervans waiting to take you on the adventure of a lifetime.
- 24-hour roadside assistance by Jayco's Dealer Service and Repairer Network
- Let's Go receives new Jayco motorhomes every month
- All vehicles come with kitchen equipment, linen as well as outdoor table and chairs
Image: Awesome Campers
10. Awesome Campers
Awesome Campers claims that there is no cheaper way to travel around Australia, than in one of its budget campers. Choose one of its tour packages to enjoy discounted rates on tourist hotspots on your road trip too.
- Unlimited kilometres for your adventures
- Relaxed cancellation policies with a 'book now, pay later' option
- 24/7 roadside assistance
11. Kangaroo Campers
With the budget-conscious in mind, Kangaroo Campers has a slightly older fleet of motorhomes that sleep between two to six people at affordable daily rates.
- 'All in one service' with linen, kitchenware, outdoor furniture all included
- Plenty of depots and service contacts along the East Coast in case of an emergency
- Basic insurance included in all quotes
Along with six-berth deluxe motorhomes with all of the added extras, Autosleepers caters to travellers on-a-shoe-string with its mini camper two-berth and hi-top camper models.
- Six different models of campervan to choose from including hi-tops
- Small, well-behaved dogs are welcome
- National 24 hour breakdown service
- Campervans accommodate between two and six people
Campervan hire locations in Sydney
You'll be able to pick up a campervan from several key locations around the city:
- Sydney Airport
- Kings Cross
Tips for driving a campervan in Sydney
There's a skill in tackling the busy streets of Sydney in a campervan. Luckily, once you're out of the city, there's just open roads and winding coastal routes to think about. Here are a few tips to nailing those first moments in your campervan:
- Try to time the collection of your campervan with off-peak traffic hours. Driving in Sydney can be nerve-racking enough without having to contend with city traffic.
- Sydney's infamous toll roads are almost impossible to miss. Before you set off, make sure you know where each one is and how to pay the toll charge. To pass over Sydney Harbour Bridge, you'll need an electronic pass, but most companies will already have this installed in their rentals. Some companies do charge administrative fees for using toll roads, so you may want to read the fine print to see whether it's worth changing up your route to avoid tolls.
- Hiring a GPS through your rental company can make navigating the city's winding roads a little easier. Plus it may remind you of the speed limits and any hazards to look out for.
- Once you hit the country and outback, keep a lookout for wandering 'roos, wallabies, wombats and deer. Species are especially active at night and are attracted to headlights. Some rental companies won't insure you at night because of this. Make sure to check your insurance before you head off.
- Avoid dirt roads unless you have the right 4WD campervan, skills and relevant insurance to do so.
What to know before renting a campervan in Sydney
What license do I need to drive a motorhome in Sydney?
The majority of rental companies in Sydney will only rent to drivers with a non-provisional drivers license who are 21 or above. Some companies will hire out to those who are 18 and above but may add a young driver's fee or increase the insurance premium.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Sydney?
You must be at least 18 years old to drive a caravan in Sydney. However, many companies will only rent to those ages between 21 and 75.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
When you rent a campervan your service provider will offer a number of different insurance options ranging from basic to comprehensive cover. This won't be caravan insurance specifically but will cover the vehicle that you've chosen to rent.
What does campervan hire in Sydney cost?
Renting a campervan for a week in Sydney ranges from $227 to $4,940 according to Motorhome Republic. At the lower end of the scale, you'll get a compact older model of camper that can accommodate up to two people.
If you're willing to spend more on your rental, the possibilities are endless with fully equipped kitchens, ensuite bathrooms and satellite TV.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Sydney?
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Sydney?Travellers Autobarn, Hippie Camper, Spaceships and Awesome Campers all offer cheap caravan hire in Sydney.
Which companies offer off-road and 4WD caravan hire in Sydney?Britz and Apollo Campers are two of the only companies in Sydney to have 4WD campervans in their fleet.
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Sydney?
The majority of rental companies have campervans that can accommodate up to six people. These include:
- Apollo Campers
- Mighty Campers
- Cruisin' Campers
- Maui Rentals
- Let's Go Motorhomes
- Go Cheap
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Best pop-up tents in Australia
If you’re searching for a pop-up tent, we can help you find the perfect option for your needs.
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Best caravan parks in Kingscliff
Find the perfect place to sleep in this laid-back town on the Tweed Coast.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Best caravan parks in Noosa
Find the best caravan parks in Noosa and discover the perfect base for exploring the Noosa everglades, Noosa National Park and even heading over to Fraser Island.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Ask an Expert