Campervan hire in Perth | Where to book, what to know
Set out on the adventure of a lifetime with your perfect campervan.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Western Australia is one of the best road tripping destinations in the world. Home to rugged national parks, endless stretches of remote beaches and unbeatable wildlife encounters, there's no better way to experience the beauty of the outback. So, how better to explore its stunning scenery than in a campervan?
We've siphoned through the many rental companies on the market and bought the best to you in this guide to hiring a campervan in Perth.
Where to book campervan hire in Perth
Image: Travellers Autobarn
Popular amongst backpackers and budget travellers, Travellers Autobarn has been helping holidaymakers find their perfect campervan since 1993.
- Access to discounted campsites across Australia.
- Unlimited kilometres and 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Large range of vehicles that cater for between two and five people.
- Accepts drivers above the age of 18, with no young driver fees or exclusions.
Image: Mighty Campers
Another high-flyer in the world of campervans, Mighty Campers has been providing excellent service for every kind of traveller for over 30 years. Pick from budget-friendly campers to modern off-roaders.
- Flexible booking options with no cancellation fees (until seven days before your trip).
- Pet-friendly campervans available.
- 24-hour phone support included with every rental.
- Huge choice of campervans to choose from.
Perfect for couples, families or travellers on a budget, Britz prides itself on providing top-notch vehicles and unbeatable customer service.
- All campers are equipped with a radio and CD player, fridge, gas stove, microwave and bedding.
- Plenty of pet-friendly options to choose from.
- Supported travel including videos, navigational tools and 24-hour phone support.
- Deals are bookable with just a $1 deposit.
Image: Hippie Camper
The sister company of Apollo Campers, Hippie Camper panders towards a younger audience with budget rental options and older campervan models.
- Rents campervans to anyone above the age of 18 with a valid licence.
- BIG4 Members can enjoy 10% off Hippie Camper rentals.
- Unlimited kilometres with all 2WD campervans.
Working across the globe in Australia, New Zealand, USA, Canada and Europe, this well-established brand goes above and beyond to provide you with the campervan of your dreams.
- The ApolloConnect app gives you access to 24/7 support, a search engine to find campsites near you and lots of "how-to" videos.
- Over 20 locations give you flexible options for pick-up and drop-off near Perth and along the West Coast.
- Huge reserve of vehicles to choose from including 4WD, luxury options and 6-berth motorhomes.
Image: Cheapa Campa
As you might have guessed from the name, Cheapa Campa specialises in providing budget-friendly campervans. Campervans are around three years old, so expect a little wear and tear in your vehicle.
- Unlimited kilometres included with every hire.
- 24-hour roadside assistance available.
- Campervans include basic kitchen equipment and bedding.
Image: Maui Rentals
7. Maui Rentals
If you're looking for a luxury campervan, Maui is where you'll find it. Concentrating on the upper echelons of the market, motorhomes are rarely older than one year and always decked out with the latest mod-cons.
- All campervans are under two years old.
- Vehicles cater to parties as few as two or as many as six.
- Luxury motorhomes with all of your home comforts included in the price.
Image: Awesome Campers
8. Awesome Campers
Relatively new to the campervan game, Awesome Camper has made its name by catering to the younger generation of travellers and backpackers. And with its colourfully decorated vans.
- Tour packages available that include campervan hire and pre-paid activities.
- Short-term and long-term rentals available.
- Budget-friendly rentals and affordable insurance packages.
Image: Let's Go Motorhomes
9. Let's Go Motorhomes
Priding itself on its modern and luxurious fleet of campervans, Let's Go may not be the cheapest rental provider, but its reviews speak for themselves.
- Fleet of young, modern campervans that accommodate two to six people.
- Backed by Jayco's Dealer Service and Repairer Network for quick responses to emergencies no matter where you find yourself in trouble.
- All-inclusive motorhomes come with cooking and eating utensils, linen and bedding, outdoor table and chairs, 24-hour roadside assistance and a campground guide. Some of the more luxurious models are complete with shade awning, TVs and microwaves too.
Campervan hire locations in Perth
A few key locations where you can find a glut of campervan rental companies in Perth are:
- Perth Airport
- Perth City Centre
What to know before renting a campervan in Perth
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Perth?
To drive a motorhome in Perth, you'll need a full driver's licence. The majority of companies also ask that you are above the age of 21.
If you're coming from abroad, you will be able to use your overseas license so long as they're in English. If they aren't, you may need an International Driver's Permit or a translated copy of your licence.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Perth?
You must be 18+ years old to drive a caravan in Perth. However, with the exception of two or three rental companies, you will also need to be 21+ years old to hire a van.Travellers Autobarn and Hippie Camper are two such companies that have options for drivers between aged 18-21.
Do I need specific campervan insurance?
You do not need specific insurance to drive a campervan to be covered as standard rental car insurance generally covers campervan hires as well.
You'll be offered insurance when you pick-up your car however you can also purchase this separately online which can sometimes work out to be cheaper.
What does campervan hire in Perth cost?
The cost of campervan hire in Perth depends on a number of factors. This includes how many people you need to accommodate, which home comforts you require and how long you'd like to hire it for.
According to Motorhome Republic, the price for a week's hire from Perth ranges from $280 to $4425. The average price, which sits around $920, will get you a three to four berth campervan for one week, with a fully-equipped bathroom and amenities such as kitchen utensils, bedding and a fridge included.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Perth?
Maui, Britz and Let's Go Motorhomes all offer luxury campervan hire in Perth. Typically, luxury campers have only been used a handful of times and are under a year old. They generally include a well-equipped kitchen, functional bathroom and other useful mod cons.
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Perth?
Budget-friendly campervans are easy to come by in the Western Australian capital. Check out Travellers Autobarn, Mighty Camper and Hippie Campers for affordable hire.
Which companies offer off-road and 4WD caravan hire in Perth?
Cheapa Campa, Britz and Apollo are the three of the main companies that offer 4WD campervans for hire in Perth.
Which companies offer 6-berth caravan hire in Perth?
Tips for driving a campervan in Perth
If you're not used to driving a large vehicle, you may find tackling a campervan a little tricky. Here are a few tips and tricks to hit the road with confidence.
- Western Australia is huge, so make sure you're always prepared with enough food and water in case of an emergency on remote long-stretches of road.
- Phone signal is non-existent in some parts of the outback, especially if you choose to head onto the dirt roads. Take a satellite phone with you in case of emergencies.
- Try to avoid driving at night, especially in rural locations. Animals such as wallabies and kangaroos are attracted to headlights and are known to jump in front of cars. Check your insurance cover too as some hire companies won't insure you for driving at night.
- Avoid unsealed roads if you don't have a 4WD or the experience behind you. Some insurance policies won't cover you if you choose to head down the dirt tracks.
- You can't park just anywhere in Western Australia, but you will find plenty of free camps along popular routes that offer basic facilities.
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Best caravan parks in Noosa
Find the best caravan parks in Noosa and discover the perfect base for exploring the Noosa everglades, Noosa National Park and even heading over to Fraser Island.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Caravan parks in Port Elliot
Discover the perfect spot at the perfect price for your campervan along the coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Ask an Expert