Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Create your own road adventure with an affordable, flexible or luxury campervan from Melbourne with these companies.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From tall forests and mountain peaks to remote beaches and friendly townships, a campervan trip through Victoria is a truly memorable adventure.
Whether you're after the best price, the most flexible booking policy or young-driver-friendly companies, here's where to find the ideal camper for your journey and tips on getting started.
Where to book campervan hire in Melbourne
Image: Travellers Autobarn
Started by a group of backpackers in Sydney, Travellers Autobarn focuses on providing quality service for the budget conscious. All campervans contain the essentials needed for a no-fuss road tripping adventure.
- Access to free campgrounds and discounted caravan parks
- Rentals possible for 18 year olds and up
- The Travellers Autobarn App provides lots of free road trip information
Offering slick, cruisy campers, Spaceships has a fleet of fully equipped and comfortable vehicles for your journey at affordable prices.
- Sleeping and cooking gear all included
- Standard insurance included
- Anyone aged 18 and over can hire and drive a Spaceship camper
- No one-way fee
With a suite of top-grade campervans at the ready, Apollo can set you up for a road trip in comfort and style. Choose from a compact camper for two to luxurious six-berth motorhomes - all beautifully decked-out.
- Unlimited kilometre allowance
- The ApolloConnect App helps you access campsites and find discount deals on local attractions
- 4WD campers available for off-road adventures
With a focus on luxurious design and home-style comforts, Maui takes pride in offering top-notch campervans in a range of sizes. Campers are designed to offer more space with all the essentials including apartment-style kitchens and comfortable seating.
- Apartment-style campervans
- Full bathroom and kitchen facilities
- Almost all vehicles under are less than two years old
With Mighty Campers you'll find robust campervans ready to hit any kind of road, from dusty and bumpy trails to long stretches of highway. The Australian-born company has campers fit for Aussie adventures at reasonable prices.
- Large range of campers to suit all travellers
- Pet-friendly campervans are available
- Supported available with helpful videos and 24/7 phone service
Image: Hippie Camper
If you're looking for a no-fuss, chilled vibe for your road trip, Hippie Campers is the way to go. Its fleet of campervans contains all the essentials for a relaxed journey that's easy on the budget.
- Campervan rental as low as $22.50 per day
- Rental available for young drivers (18+) with a valid driver's licence
- Value pack includes insurance, gas bottle and camp gear
Image: Let's Go Campervans
You can feel right at home with a campervan from Let's Go. The company has a range of vehicles that come with all the creature comforts including modern kitchens and comfy bedding.
- New fleet of rentals all under three years old
- Handy travel companion with the Let's Go Australia App
- 24/7 roadside assistance by Jayco's Dealer and Repairer Network
For couples, friends and families large and small, Britz has a camper for every kind of traveller. Hit the road in a cosy two-berth hitop or kick back in a spacious motorhome for six.
- Indoor kitchens and bathrooms
- Pet-friendly options available
- Kitchen essentials and linen included
- Supported travel with navigational tools and 24/7 phone support
Image: Cruisin Motorhomes
Family-owned hire company Cruisin started small in Tasmania in 1999 and now has a large fleet of luxurious campervans on offer. Choose from a selection of two, four and six-berth campervans, all fully equipped with kitchen essentials and bedding.
- Early bird and long hire discounts
- Luxury interiors and comfortable bedding
- 24 hours roadside assistance
Campervan hire locations in Melbourne
You can pick up your campervan from several locations around Melbourne city:
- Tullamarine Airport
Tips for driving a campervan in Melbourne
Campervanning through the busy streets of Melbourne can feel a little overwhelming at first. But there's plenty of adventure to be had once you're out of the city and on the open roads of Victoria. Here's a few tips to tackling the start of your trip and what to expect on the journey ahead.
- Peak traffic in Melbourne can really slow you down. To avoid traffic jams on the way out of the city or on return, try to time the collection of your campervan with off-peak hours.
- There's plenty of toll roads in Melbourne so make sure to check where they are before you set off and set up an online pass to pay. If necessary, you can buy a casual pass for toll roads on linkt.com.au. Toll fees can be paid within 48 hours by phone or via the website; tollpass.com.au
- Before heading off each day, remember to secure all cupboards and drawers and close the roof skylight.
- Motorhomes are larger and heavier than the average car so it's best to drive slower than usual and take extra care on narrow and windy roads.
- Campervans can be double the height and length of regular vehicles. Make sure to watch for height indicator signs at low level crossings or car parks.
- As you head into rural areas, there's a good chance you'll encounter wildlife such as kangaroos, wallabies and wombats. Try not to swerve if an animal jumps on your path and instead just slow down and stay on track.
- Road conditions can vary greatly in Australian rural areas. If you're planning on taking some backroads, make sure to take caution and adjust your driving based on the conditions.
- Avoid dirt roads unless you have the right 4WD campervan and necessary experience.
What to know before renting a campervan in Melbourne
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Melbourne?
To drive a motorhome in Australia you will need a full driver's licence which must be written in English. If yours is not in English you'll need an accredited English translation or an international driver permit.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Melbourne?
The majority of rental companies will only rent caravans to those aged between 21 and 75.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
Your rental company will offer a few different insurance options which you'll need to consider before you start your journey. Some insurance options will cover both vehicles and towed caravans in one cover, however in some cases a caravan will need to be insured separately.
What does campervan hire in Melbourne cost?
According to Motorhome Republic, renting a campervan in Melbourne ranges from $280 up to $3,100. For a budget deal you can get an older model two sleeper and on the upper end of the scale you'll score a six-berth luxury motorhome with all the extras.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Melbourne?Maui Rentals, Let's Go Motorhomes, Britz, Apollo Campers and Cruisin' Motorhomes all have luxury campervans on offer.
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Melbourne?Hippie Camper, Travellers Autobarn and Spaceships all offer budget-friendly caravan hire.
Which companies offer off road and 4WD caravan hire in Melbourne?
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Melbourne?
Most campervan hire companies have six-berth campers in their fleet. These include:
- Apollo Campers
- Maui Rentals
- Cruisin' Motorhomes
- Mighty Campers
- GoCheap Campervan Hire
- Aussie Campervans Rental
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
Ask an Expert