Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
From Cradle Mountain to Wineglass Bay, find the perfect campervan to take you on an adventure around Tassie.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Not only can a campervan give you more freedom while adventuring around the Apple Isle, but you'll be able to soak in every ounce of beauty Tasmania has to offer.
To help you make the right decision for your travel style and budget, we've put together a list of the best rental companies in Hobart.
Where to book campervan hire in Hobart
With a fleet of budget-friendly campers to choose from, you can enjoy the sights of Tasmania without breaking the bank. In spite of the rock-bottom prices, the campers still include all of the comforts you'll need to enjoy your trip.
- Price match promise on hires
- Selection of two to six berth campervans and motorhomes
- Bedding and kitchen utensils included
Operating across Europe, the USA, New Zealand and Australia, Britz is an international name you can rely on. Take your pick of its high-end campervans and luxe added extras.
- 24-hour phone support and roadside assistance
- Selection of pet-friendly campers
- Newer fleet of campervans with modern amenities
Image: Leisure Rent
Make unforgettable memories in a campervan from Leisure Rent. With multiple depots across Tasmania, you can pick up your vehicle from Hobart, trip along the east coast and drop it off in Launceston or Devonport at no extra charge.
- Vehicles are regularly serviced for peace of mind
- Toyota-made, reliable campervans
- Depots at Devonport Airport, Launceston Airport, Hobart Airport and Spirit of Tasmania Ferry Terminal
If you love adventure but don't want to leave your creature comforts at home, try Apollo. All of its luxe motorhomes come with fully-equipped kitchens, in-vehicle bathrooms and air conditioning.
- Unlimited kilometre allowance and 24/7 support
- Vehicles manufactured and services by Winnebago Australia
- Access to Apollo Connect App, which is great for hunting down a nearby campsite
Image: Cruisin' Motorhomes
Experts in campervans since 1999, Cruisin' remains a family-run and service-centric operation. It offers a modern road-tripping experience at competitive prices.
- All vehicles equipped with linen, cutlery, crockery and bedding
- Young fleet of campers, no older than four years
- Campers accommodate between two and six people
- Children's car seats and bumper chairs available for a fee
Image: Mighty Campers
This all-encompassing company caters to budget-seekers and luxury campers seeking that unforgettable road tripping experience.
- 24/7 roadside assistance and phone support
- Huge fleet with budget two-berth campers to luxe six-berth motorhomes
- Pet-friendly campers available
- Flexible booking options with free cancellation up to seven days before your trip
Maui has become synonymous with luxury in the world of motorhomes. Enjoy a young, modern and spacious motorhome with extra touches like wine glasses and china plates.
- All vehicles are under two years old and regularly serviced
- Fully-equipped kitchen and in-vehicle bathroom
- Linen exchange and valet service available for longer trips
Image: Bargain Car Rentals
8. Bargain Car Rentals
Bargain Car Rentals not only provides some of the lowest rental rates in Tasmania, it's also home to one of the most varied fleets of vehicles on the island. This includes campervans, motorhomes, cars and 4WDs.
- Choose from two, three, four or six-berth campervans, some with the 4WD capability
- Many vehicles are permitted to drive on unsealed roads
- Pet-friendly units are available
Campervan hire locations in Hobart
You can pick up your perfect travel mate at the following locations in and around Hobart:
- Harrington Street, Hobart City Centre
- Hobart Airport
Tips for driving a campervan in Tasmania
While Tasmanian roads are generally a lot quieter than those on the mainland, it can be a tricky island to navigate in a camper.
Here are a few tips and tricks for setting off like a pro.
- Although there are plenty of caravan parks to go around, Tasmania becomes extremely busy during the holiday seasons (December, January, February). You can't pull up on the side of the road in Tassie, so make sure you book a spot in a park well in advance.
- Unlike most of the Australian outback, roads in Tasmania are windy and narrow. Take the driving times on your GPS with a pinch of salt and give yourself extra time.
- While the east coast of Tasmania is relatively well-developed, the west coast is quite unruly. The road between Derwent Bridge and Queenstown has an incredible 99 bends to conquer and the unsealed Western Explorer Highway should only be tackled by experienced drivers in 4WD.
- Where possible, avoid driving at night. Kangaroos, wallabies, wombats and other creatures of the night are prone to jumping in front of headlights and not all insurance companies will cover you for this kind of damage.
What to know before renting a campervan in Hobart
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Hobart?
You will need a full driver's licence to drive a motorhome in Hobart. For rentals, most companies only rent to drivers aged 21+.
A select few companies will rent motorhomes to drivers aged 18-21 years old, but are likely to add a surcharge to your booking.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Hobart?
You need to be at least 18 to drive a caravan in Hobart and at over 21 to rent a caravan with most companies.
Some companies rent to younger drivers however they tend to add a young driver's surcharge.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
You don't need specific caravan insurance to drive a caravan around Hobart. However, you may wish to take out car hire rental excess insurance to cover accidents or third-party damage.
What does campervan hire in Hobart cost?
With a range of rental companies on the market, campervan hire in Hobart panders to a range of budgets.
You can find daily rentals from as little as $29 a day for a basic two-berth camper, all the way up to $300 for an elite motorhome with a built-in shower and kitchen.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Hobart?
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Hobart?
Which companies offer off-road and 4WD caravan hire in Hobart?
Britz and Bargain Cars are some of the only companies to offer 4WD caravan hire in Hobart.
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Hobart?
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Plan your epic road trip around WA with our guide to campervan hire in Broome.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
Ask an Expert