Campervan hire in Broome | Where to book, what to know
Take your home on wheels out to WA, where the desert meets the ocean.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Western Australia's vast landscapes seem almost made to be explored on four wheels and Broome is an ideal starting point. You'll get to enjoy sunsets on Cable Beach, the natural phenomenon of the Staircase to the Moon and the chance to spot the rare snubfin dolphin off the coast. Broome is also the gateway to the wild Kimberley region, so it's a tough destination to beat for the caravan crazed.
Find out all you need to know about campervan hire in Broome, including where to book, some top tips and frequently asked questions to get you started.
Where to hire a campervan in Broome
Image: Cheapa Campa
2. Cheapa Campa
A good value-for-money option for travellers happy to save a few pennies in exchange for campers that are a few years old with manual transmission.
- 4WD vehicles available
- Models with a pop-top roof for more ventilation when not at a powered site
- 3- to 5-year-old vehicles
A long-standing luxury brand in the campervan market, Maui allows travellers visiting the rough and tumble destinations around Broome to relax in a bit more comfort at the end of the day.
- Many models include a toilet and shower
- Stylish additions such as wine glasses and a coffee plunger
- Vehicles with automatic transmission available
- Almost brand new vehicles
Campervan hire locations in Broome
You'll find most campervan hire companies located in Broome's city centre. Broome's airport is located right in the city so if you're flying in to pick up a vehicle, you'll be close to most locations.
Tips for driving a campervan in Broome
- Many campervan hire companies will not allow you to drive on unsealed roads such as Gibb River Road or in the Bungle Bungles. Make sure to review the restrictions of your campervan hire and consider a 4WD rental.
- The roads in remote locations can flood during the wet season and it's best to wait until waters recede before passing.
- Shops can get pricey in remote areas, so try to load up on essentials before leaving Broome.
- Distances can be longer than you think and accidents happen, so make sure to top up on fuel and water whenever you can.
- The dry season months from May to October are the busiest, so make sure to book well in advance.
- Consider renting a campervan with cooking and camping equipment included as accommodation gets scarce the further you get from Broome.
- Avoid driving at night, sunset and sunrise as animals tend to wander on the road during these times.
What to know before renting a campervan in Broome
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Broome?
To drive a motorhome in Broome, you must hold a valid driver's licence written in English. If it's not in English, you also need to hold an authorised English translation or an International Driving Permit.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Broome?
Many caravan hire companies have a minimum age requirement and some will have a young driver's surcharge for those under 25 years old.Maui, Britz and Cheapa Campa will allow drivers from 21 years old with no surcharge.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
Compulsory third party insurance will be included automatically in your rental rate to cover injuries to other people. Caravan insurance is usually available as an extra to cover vehicle damage.
What does campervan hire in Broome cost?
A two-person campervan can start from $70 a day, with more deluxe models fetching up to $250 per day.
For larger vehicles, a 6-person campervan starts from $205 per day, with luxury models getting up to $300 per day.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Broome?
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Broome?Britz's Hitop Camper options are the most cost-effective options in Broome.
Which companies offer off-road and 4WD caravan hire in Broome?
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Broome?Britz and Maui offer 6-berth caravan hire in Broome.
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Cheap campervan hire
Catch the latest deals for cheap campervan hire in Australia. Brands include Hippie Campers, Jucy and Spaceships.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan hire in Cairns | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore Tropical North Queensland with our guide to campervan hire in Cairns.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Campervan hire in Darwin | Where to book, what to know
Get out and explore the Top End with our guide to campervan hire in Darwin.
Campervan hire in Hobart | Where to book, what to know
Make the most of the great outdoors by comparing your options and the latest deals for campervan hire in Hobart.
Campervan hire on the Gold Coast | Where to book, what to know
Take your vacation to the next level with a campervan hire on the Gold Coast.
Campervan hire in Melbourne | Where to book, what to know
Hit the road and experience the beauty of Victoria with a campervan from these companies.
Campervan hire in Brisbane | Where to book, what to know
Ready to explore the wonders of Queensland? Here’s our guide on hiring a campervan from Brisbane.
Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Cruise Australia's picturesque roads in your perfect camper from Adelaide.
Ask an Expert