Campervan hire in Adelaide | Where to book, what to know
Hiring a campervan from South Australia’s capital opens up a world of road-tripping opportunities.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
From tackling the neverending roads of the outback to the winding coastal routes of The Great Australian Bight, Adelaide is surrounded by adventure. Adventures that are best experienced in a campervan.
We've handpicked some of the best companies on the market that offer campervan hire in Adelaide. So you can find your perfect home-away-from-home for your getaway.
Where to book campervan hire in Adelaide
The vibrant paintwork on Jucy's campervans isn't the only thing that makes the company stand out above the rest. It's also popular for its friendly service and affordable rental prices.
- Unlimited kilometres and 24/7 roadside assistance.
- Available to anyone aged 18+ with a valid driver's licence.
- Electric campers available.
Autosleepers appreciates that not everyone has experience driving large, bulky campers. That's why Autosleepers' fleet is designed to be compact and easy to drive.
- Large selection of four-berth campervans.
- Well-stocked vehicles with kitchen and bedroom essentials.
- Pet-friendly campervans available.
Image: Awesome Campers
On a mission to make campervanning affordable for any budget, Awesome Campers has affordable and vibrant campers for hire.
- Some of the cheapest rental prices on the market with prices starting from $49/day.
- 24/7 roadside assistance and unlimited kilometres.
- All-inclusive packages include campervan hire and activities.
Image: Mighty Campers
Choose between seven different campers that accommodate between two and six people. All come with essential items such as kitchen utensils and bed linen.
- Mighty Roadtrip App contains tips for while you're on the road.
- 24-hour roadside assistance and phone support.
- Plenty of drop-off locations for one-way rentals.
Image: Hippie Campers
With backpackers and younger travellers in mind, Hippie Campers appeals to adventurers on a budget. The campers are compact, but they have everything you need to make your trip a comfortable and memorable one.
- Welcome Pack with every vehicle including cooking utensils and bedding.
- No young driver fees for those aged between 18 and 21.
- Fuel efficient and easy to maneuver.
Image: Apollo Campers
Boasting a fleet of campers designed and manufactured by Winnebago Australia, you'll be in good hands with Apollo.
- Apollo Connect App gives an introduction to your vehicle before you pick it up.
- Choose from a fleet of campervans, motorhomes and 4WDs.
- Unlimited kilometres with every rental.
Image: Cheapa Campa
Part of the well-established Apollo brand, Cheapa Campa provides a budget-friendly alternative to the group's main offerings. To achieve lower costs, Cheapa has an older fleet that still serves you well on your adventures.
- 20 pick-up and drop-off locations across Australia.
- Access to the Apollo Connect App for travel tips.
- Discounts for long-term bookings.
One of the largest campervan rental companies in Australia, Britz has found its success in great customer service and a modern fleet of well-kept vehicles. Choose from compact two-berths to all-encompassing six-berth motorhomes.
- Unlimited kilometres with every campervan.
- 24-hour helpline when you're on the road.
- All vehicles come with the essential kit including bed linen, kitchen utensils and maps.
A match made in heaven for luxury campers, all of Maui's vehicles are modern and come with welcomed extras including wine glasses, coffee plungers and china plates.
- GPS included in the cost.
- Valeting and linen exchange services available around the country.
- Young fleet of modern campervans.
Image: Calypso Campervan Rentals
Ideal for those looking for a compact campervan that's easy to drive, choose from The Funkampa, The Princes, The Sturt or The Riverine. All sleep three to four people.
- Budget-friendly rental options.
- Family-run and personalised service.
- City-centre pick-up option.
Image: Let's Go Motorhomes
Prefer to travel in style? Let's Go has you covered. Its fleet of modern motorhomes is decked out with sinks, stoves, microwaves and fridges. Lager motorhomes come with a shower and toilet room.
- Rentals include cooking and eating utensils, linen and bedding, outdoor table and chairs.
- Some of the more luxurious models have shade awning, TVs and microwaves.
- Young fleet of vehicles between zero and four years old.
- Access to Jayco's Repairer Network while on the road.
Campervan hire locations in Adelaide
- Adelaide Airport
- Brooklyn Park
- Croydon Park
Tips for driving a campervan in Adelaide
- Campervans are longer and taller than your average car, so you'll need to take this into consideration when on the road. Look out for height indicator signs, low-hanging branches and take your time when reversing.
- If you're driving along The Great Ocean Road from Adelaide, remember to be extra vigilant. This stretch of road is one of the most touristic in Australia and is known for its higher-than-usual accident rate.
- Plan for regular rest stops along the way. Distances are huge in Australia and driving times on your GPS can be misleading, especially when you're in the outback.
- If you're planning to drive along dirt tracks, make sure you're equipped with the right vehicle (ideally a 4WD), and the right insurance.
- You're not allowed to park up on the side of the road in South Australia, but you will find plenty of free camps at the roadside with basic facilities. The WikiCamps app is a great way to find these.
What to know before renting a campervan in Adelaide
What licence do I need to drive a motorhome in Adelaide?
A full driver's licence is required to get behind the wheel of a motorhome in Adelaide. If you're coming from abroad, you can use a foreign licence, so long as it is in English. If it isn't, you may need to get an international driving licence with an English translation.
Are there any age restrictions to driving a caravan in Adelaide?
To drive a caravan in Adelaide, you'll need to be at least 18 years old, with a full driver's licence.
Unfortunately, many companies have age restrictions on who can hire a motorhome. This includes only renting to 21 to 75 years olds.
Do I need specific caravan insurance?
When you hire your caravan, the rental company will provide several options for insurance cover. These range from basic to comprehensive cover.
You can choose to purchase through them or take out your own policy which could work more in your favour.
What does campervan hire in Adelaide cost?
Campervan hire in Adelaide costs between $45 and $500 a day depending on the season, the size of the vehicle and the insurance cover you choose.
According to Motorhome Republic renting a 3-berth camper for a week in April, with moderate insurance cover costs an average of $550.
Which companies offer luxury campervan hire in Adelaide?
Which companies offer cheap caravan hire in Adelaide?
Which companies offer off-road and 4WD caravan hire in Adelaide?
Which companies offer 6 berth caravan hire in Adelaide?
Want to hire a campervan?
Powered by: Motorhome Republic
Latest campervan and car hire deals
More guides on Finder
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Why the BHP, Rio and FMG share prices are rising
Shares in mining giants BHP, Rio Tinto and Fortescue Metals have climbed between 10%-16% in the last 6 months.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,000 off Dell gaming laptops, 30% off kids toys, win $10,000 with Optus.
eBay EOFY sales: Best deals from Apple, KitchenAid and more
Score up to 65% off best-selling products with these top end of financial year offers.
Thinking about teeth aligners? Here’s how to make them more affordable
SPONSORED: Perfect teeth could be in closer reach than you think.
Your first look at the Billie Eilish x Air Jordan 1 sneaker collab
Featuring Billie's signature shade, here's what you need to know if you want to cop these kicks.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
Ask an Expert