Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Camera insurance

You can get camera insurance as part of your home contents insurance. Compare 10+ policies and add on cover for outside the house.

1 - 7 of 18
Name Product Do they cover Cameras? Contents Temporarily Removed From Home Accidental Damage to Home or Belongings Theft
Budget Direct Home & Contents Insurance
20% of the contents sum insured
Our verdict: The most popular insurer on Finder, Budget Direct prioritises low-cost cover and gives you up to 30% off your first year for new combined policies purchased online. This is a big reason it won this year’s Finder Award for value.
Youi Building and Contents Insurance
20% of the contents sum insured
Our verdict: Finder’s 2022 Insurer of the Year for Customer Satisfaction and our Top Pick for Fire Damage cover. It’s good if you want a tailored quote over the phone.
QBE Home & Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Finder's Top Pick for Floods plus cover for other common claims such as fire and theft). Its discount is better than most – 20% off your first year with a combined policy.
Honey Home & Contents Insurance
20% of contents sum insured
Our verdict: Honey gives you $250 smart sensors to reduce accidents and estimates your rebuild costs for you. Honey was a finalist for the comprehensive category in this year’s Finder Awards.
Seniors Top Home & Contents Insurance
20% of the contents sum insured
Our verdict: Get up to 20% off when you buy a combined home and contents policy. Terms, conditions, underwriting criteria and minimum premiums apply, which may reduce discount. Make sure your rebuild costs are accurate though – Australian Seniors don’t do underinsurance cover.
Kogan Home & Contents Insurance
Our verdict: Good comprehensive cover (issued by QBE). Also, get 22% off on your first year's premium when you purchase a new combined Home & Contents insurance policy online + $10 monthly credit. T&Cs apply.
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
BonusFinder Award Finalist
Qantas Home and Contents Insurance
20% of the contents sum insured
Our verdict: Earn up to 30,000 Qantas Points with every Qantas Home Insurance policy you take out by 7 February. T&Cs and exclusions apply.

What are my camera insurance options?

You can get camera insurance in one of two ways:

contents insurance

Contents insurance

Contents insurance can look after all the belongings kept at your home, including your camera. If you've got a really expensive camera and you regularly take it out of your home, you can add portable contents insurance to your existing policy.

camera insurance

Specialist camera insurance

There are some insurers who specialise in covering cameras and other photography equipment, which are usually aimed at professional photographers. These policies can cover you for theft, accidental damage and breakdown after your warranty expires.

What does camera insurance cover?

Here's a breakdown of what's included in a contents insurance or specialist camera insurance policy and what you can add on (remember, you'll need to pay a little extra for add-ons).

Automatically covered

  • Theft. For example, if someone breaks into your home and steals your camera.
  • Water damage (escape of liquid). For example, if a burst pipe leads damages some of your belongings, such as your camera.
  • A weather event. For example, if a storm or bushfire results in damage to your belongings, including your camera.


  • Accidental damage. Some contents insurance policies will only offer accidental damage cover as an add-on.
  • Portable contents cover. This add-on ensures that you're covered when you take the camera out of your home.
  • Valuable contents cover. Many contents policies will only insure you up to a certain amount for individual items – often around $2,000. If your camera is worth more than the specified limit, the valuable contents add-on lets you increase it.

Camera insurance traps to avoid

Here are some things to watch out for when taking out a camera insurance policy:

  • Sub-limits that are too low. Even if you have $30,000 worth of cover with your contents policy, your limit on camera equipment could be much lower. Check your policy to make sure your camera sub-limit is enough to cover all your equipment. If not, consider adding valuable contents insurance.
  • Not being covered outside the home. Most contents policies don't automatically cover your equipment outside the home. If you often take your camera out, you should add portable contents insurance to your policy or buy a specialist camera policy that includes it.
  • Not having enough cover when travelling. Portable contents insurance add-ons can protect your camera when you take it out of the country.
  • Not being able to choose your repairer. Some insurers have their own network of repairers they like to use and they won't let you choose who repairs your camera if it's broken. If you have a repair shop you trust, then you'll want to find a policy that lets you choose your own repairer.

Can I get camera insurance for travellers?

Yes, most portable contents insurance policies will cover you when you're travelling in Australia or New Zealand. Some can protect you when you are travelling outside of those two countries – however they often come with limitations. For example, your policy might limit your total overseas claim for all items to $10,000 whereas in Australia, you'd be covered for $10,000 per item.

Others might cover you for the full amount while travelling, but only for trips up to a certain length like 30 days.

If your portable contents insurance or camera insurance policy doesn't provide enough cover for your overseas trip, you may want to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip. Most travel insurance policies include cover for personal belongings like cameras.

How to get your camera insured

Here are the steps you need to take if you want to get your camera and equipment insured:


Figure out how much everything is worth.

Dig out all your old receipts and work out how much all your equipment is worth. Write down the value of each individual item as well as the total value of everything.


Review any existing contents insurance.

If you currently have contents insurance, look at your policy documents and see if there are any sub-limits on how much you can claim for camera equipment. Also see how much your policy will pay for any one individual item.


Decide what additional cover you need.

If your contents insurance doesn't provide enough cover, you need to decide if you want to add extensions to your existing policy or to go with a speciality camera insurer instead.


Shop around.

Insurers can vary widely in how they treat cameras. For instance, some contents insurance policies don't have sub-limits for cameras at all, while others will limit your camera claims to $2,000. Of course, this will also have an effect on the price you pay for the policy, so be sure to judge the price based on how well the policy meets your needs.


List your camera and equipment on the policy.

When you insure high-value items, you usually have to list them all out separately on your policy along with their value. You may even have to provide receipts to prove how much they are worth.

Why you can trust Finder's home insurance experts


We're free

You pay the same as buying directly from the home insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
expert advice

We're experts

We've researched and rated dozens of policies as part of our Finder Awards. We provide unique insights and our in-house experts regularly appear on Sunrise, 7News and SBS News.

We're independent

Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of home insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.

We're here to help

Since 2014, we've helped 150,000+ people find home insurance by explaining your cover options simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.

Frequently asked questions about camera insurance

More guides on Finder

  • Bushfire Statistics Australia

    Every bushfire season is different, but there has been a general movement upwards in the severity of the bushfire seasons that Australia experiences.

  • Home insurance WA

    Learn about the unique risks that Western Australia faces and how to get home insurance that is right for your circumstances.

  • Flood insurance

    Most home insurers automatically cover floods but make sure you take out cover at least 72 hours before an event.

  • Honey home insurance review

    Honey home insurance is a startup that's doing things a little differently.

  • Laptop insurance

    Here are several contents insurance options that will protect your laptop anywhere you take it.

  • Home fire insurance

    Fire insurance will help you replace your home and everything in it if you lose it all to fire.

  • How much does home insurance cost in Australia?

    Discover what impacts the cost of home insurance and how to get the right protection with this handy guide.

  • Home insurance WA

    Learn about the unique risks that Western Australia faces and how to get home insurance that is right for your circumstances.

  • Bushfire insurance

    Compare policies that cover bushfires, including smoke damage and accommodation due to evacuation.

  • Storm damage insurance

    Protect your home against storm, flood and rainwater damage with the help of this comprehensive guide.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site