Flights to California June 2021
Get flight deals and special fares to California.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Disneyland, Hollywood and the Golden Gate Bridge are just three of California’s most attractive features. Stretching north from the Mexican border, the state’s topography encompasses beaches, forest, mountains and desert, with diverse climates to accompany them. You could spend weeks exploring everything on offer without even leaving the state.
California’s official capital is Sacramento but most travellers are more familiar with Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego. There are direct flights from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane daily to LA and from Sydney to San Fran. Those travelling to California from other Australian cities will require a change at one of the three.
- From Sydney: 13 hrs 35 mins + when you fly direct
- From Melbourne: 14 hrs 15 mins + when you fly direct
- From Perth: 21 hrs 10 mins +. Unfortunately, you cannot fly direct from Perth to California. You will need to connect to a flight in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane that is heading to California
- From Brisbane: 12 hrs 40 mins + when you fly direct
Airlines that fly to California
- American Airlines
- United Airlines
- Virgin Australia
California insider flight tips
- If you’re taking a self-drive holiday in California then you can fly into one airport and out from another on a return flight. Qantas, United Airlines and American Airlines all fly direct to San Francisco International airport (SFO) from Sydney and to Los Angeles International airport (LAX) from Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane (as do Virgin Australia and Delta).
- There are lots of regional airports across California with low-cost carrier flights to get you back to LA or San Francisco for connecting flights back to Australia. The US has plenty of local budget airlines such as JetBlue, Southwest and Spirit Airlines.
- LAX does leave the Australian traveller spoilt for choice in terms of airlines and routes. It is also a major transit airport which can mean long queues for customs and baggage clearance – especially with increased security regulations. Be aware of the time it may take to exit when booking onward travel or car rental. Those travelling to/from SFO should bear in mind that delays are common due to fog in the bay area
- Find out more information about flying to Los Angeles and San Francisco
LAX has a free shuttle service between the terminals departing every 10-15 minutes- look out for a large blue sign outside the terminal. Free shuttle buses also serve the Metro Green Line which connects to the Los Angeles Area and the Metro Bus Center. Coach services (eg Grayline) run to parts of LA and destinations across California. Taxis can be found outside all terminals. There’s also a free airport shuttle to Lot C for the car rental area. Some rental companies have their own shuttle buses too, which you can call from designated courtesy phones in the arrivals terminals. You can find out more about car hire rentals and deals in Los Angeles here.
SFO terminals are all connected 24 hours a day for free by AirTrain. The AirTrain also serves the Rental Car Center and the BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) Station. The BART system connects to the Caltrain for rail services around San Francisco and out to San Jose. SamTrans is the public bus service which runs to different parts of San Francisco. There are a few private airport shuttle bus services too. The airport has a Hotel Courtesy Shuttle zone where certain hotels have courtesy phones to call them for a ride. Taxis are also available and car-share services like Uber must pick up from the departures level for all terminals. Find out how to navigate your way around San Francisco here.
More guides on Finder
eBay EOFY sales: Best deals from Apple, KitchenAid and more
Score up to 22% off millions of items with these top end of financial year offers.
Thinking about teeth aligners? Here’s how to make them more affordable
SPONSORED: Perfect teeth could be in closer reach than you think.
Your first look at the Billie Eilish x Air Jordan 1 sneaker collab
Featuring Billie's signature shade, here's what you need to know if you want to cop these kicks.
Amazon Prime Day 2021: Don’t miss these deals on 21 June
Amazon Prime Day is returning to Australia in the first half of 2021. Here are six online deals you need to know about.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Australia
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Canterbury Bulldogs vs St George Illawarra Dragons NRL: Start time and watch free
The one-win Bulldogs return after a bye, hopefully refreshed and ready to meet the Dragons.
NSW first home owners tax reform offers 25K grants
First home buyers in NSW could be given up to $25,000 towards their first home purchase – find out if you're eligible.
24 PlayStation 5 consoles are up for grabs this long weekend
eBay is giving away 24 PlayStation 5 prize packs this long weekend - here's how to enter.
Does anyone actually need Twitter Blue?
Here's everything included in Twitter Blue and how much it costs.
How to watch UFC 263 Adesanya vs Vettori 2 live in Australia
Undisputed champion Israel Adesanya is ready for his long-awaited rematch against Marvin Vettori in Arizona.
Ask an Expert