Campervan hire from $5 per day
Car hire Byron Bay deals
Compare prices and find deals for your car hire in Byron Bay.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Byron Bay is a picturesque coastal holiday spot, but beyond the bay are some superb sights that are not to be missed, and the perfect way to take in the breathtakingly beautiful natural landscapes is via car.
If you're thinking of embarking on a road trip to experience all that Byron Bay and its NSW surroundings have to offer, we've hunted out the best car hire deals to let you take it in at your own pace.
We've also got need-to-know info on which rental companies are available from Ballina Byron Gateway airport, general rules of the road and handy car insurance know-how.
Top car hire Byron Bay deals
Road rules: What to know about driving in Byron Bay
Like everywhere else in Australia, in Byron Bay you’ll need to drive on the left side of the road. Other road issues to be aware of include:
- Potholes. Byron Bay is no stranger to flooding which can result in potholes of wheel-buckling capabilities. Keep an eye out for them whilst driving or you could end up with a hefty excess payment upon returning your rental.
- Road closures. These are common, whether it be for events, road repairs or due to extreme weather conditions. Before leaving, check that your planned route is accessible.
- Keep an eye out for trucks and wideload vehicles. Large trucks and transport vehicles are on the road at all times of the day. We recommend giving these vehicles the wide berth they demand and wait until an appropriate passing opportunity is available before overtaking.
Popular Byron Bay driving routes
- Hinterland Way (Byron Bay to Ballina). This is a popular tourist route along the Old Pacific Highway. It starts at the Byron Bay exchange in Ewingsdale and winds down the coast past Bangalow, the Macadamia Castle and Lennox Head, ending in Ballina.
- The Pacific Coast (Byron Bay to Sydney). This legendary drive takes you all the way from Byron to Sydney and features the most striking natural sights of New South Wales. You can choose the drive the full way or simply take it from Byron to Ballina (above), Byron to Coffs Harbour, Byron to Port Macquarie or Byron to The Entrance, to name a few hot spots. All up, it's a practically continuous line of beaches, national parks, hinterland hills and welcoming villages.
Frequently asked questions about car hire
Who offers car hire at byron bay/ballina airport
Who offers cheap car hire from Lismore airport?
Avis and Thrifty have cars available for hire from Lismore airport.
Who offers cheap car hire from Gold Coast (Coolangatta) airport?
Avis and Thrifty have cars available for hire from Coolangatta airport.
Where can I get cheap car hire from Byron Bay to Brisbane?
Many rental companies, including Budget, Europcar and Avis, offer one-way hire between Byron Bay and Brisbane. Shop around to find the best deal or visit their websites to check one-way car hire availability, options and prices.
Where can I get cheap car hire from Byron Bay to Noosa?
Similarly, we’d recommend searching your desired car rental company's site for one-way rental choices and availabilities. Relocation deals can crop up starting at just $1 a day if you're lucky.
How does car insurance work?
Depending on your chosen level of cover, car hire rental excess insurance can reduce the excess payable to a more reasonable amount or eradicate it completely.
Car hire companies often offer insurance when you book, though you can always purchase insurance for your hire car through an alternate insurer. You can find out more and compare car hire insurance policies here.
More guides on Finder
Ethereum price plummets as crypto industry’s combined market cap drops by 10% within hours
With the total market cap of the crypto sector dropping by a whopping 10% within the last few hours, it seems as though the coming few days could be highly volatile for ETH.
Back to school laptops: Buying guide
What are the things to watch out for when buying your child's first laptop?
Bitcoin price dips below key level as Russia prepares for a blanket crypto ban
As Russia gets ready to outlaw its local crypto market, BTC could be faced with even greater volatility in the near future.
How to watch UFC 270 Ngannou vs Gane online and start time in Australia
Heavyweight stars Fancis Ngannou and Cyril Gane headline UFC 270.
Why has the Rio Tinto share price dropped today?
Shares in Rio Tinto have climbed more than 15% in the last month.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Stanmore Coal (SMR ↑5.2%), Kelly Partners Group Holdings (KPG ↑3.3%)
Here are the 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Friday 21 January 2022.
Beauty Product of the Week: Gisou Honey Infused Leave-In Conditioner
This leave-in conditioner transformed my unwashed mop into silky locks that would make Rapunzel envious.
Samsung confirms Galaxy S22 Ultra will be a Note phone
Samsung's next flagship S22 phone will be, in its own less than subtle phrasing, "noteworthy".
Top 10 TV shows in Australia this week and where to watch them
A fun superhero series, an epic sci-fi and a dark teen drama are among our top picks this week.
Ask an Expert