How to buy Viking Therapeutics shares | $6.02
Own Viking Therapeutics shares in just a few minutes.
Viking Therapeutics, Inc is a biotechnology business with stocks listed in the US. Viking Therapeutics shares (VKTX) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$6.02 – a decrease of 8.79% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Viking Therapeutics
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Viking Therapeutics. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: VKTX. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Viking Therapeutics reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$6.02, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Viking Therapeutics, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Viking Therapeutics. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Viking Therapeutics key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Viking Therapeutics stock a buy or sell?
- Viking Therapeutics performance over time
- Can I short Viking Therapeutics shares?
- Viking Therapeutics's financials
- How volatile are Viking Therapeutics shares?
- Does Viking Therapeutics pay a dividend?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Viking Therapeutics's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Viking Therapeutics's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was US$6.02, which is 13.13% down on its pre-crash value of US$6.93 and 84.66% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as US$3.26.
If you had bought US$1,000 worth of Viking Therapeutics shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth US$630.83 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth US$937.68.
Viking Therapeutics share priceUse our graph to track the performance of VKTX stocks over time.
Viking Therapeutics shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$6.02|
|52-week range||USD$3.26 - USD$8.87|
|50-day moving average||USD$7.0521|
|200-day moving average||USD$6.5004|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$-0.353|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Viking Therapeutics stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Viking Therapeutics price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-13)||N/A|
|1 month (2020-08-24)||-22.82%|
|3 months (2020-06-20)||N/A|
|6 months (2020-03-23)||48.64%|
|1 year (2019-09-20)||N/A|
|2 years (2018-09-20)||N/A|
|3 years (2017-09-20)||N/A|
|5 years (2015-09-20)||N/A|
Viking Therapeutics financials
|Gross profit TTM||US$0|
|Return on assets TTM||-8.37%|
|Return on equity TTM||-11.79%|
|Market capitalisation||US$497.7 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Viking Therapeutics shares
There are currently 11.9 million Viking Therapeutics shares held short by investors – that's known as Viking Therapeutics's "short interest". This figure is 8.5% up from 11.0 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Viking Therapeutics shares can be evaluated.
Viking Therapeutics's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Viking Therapeutics's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Viking Therapeutics shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Viking Therapeutics shares traded daily (recently around 1.6 million). Viking Therapeutics's SIR currently stands at 7.36. In other words for every 100,000 Viking Therapeutics shares traded daily on the market, roughly 7360 shares are currently held short.
However Viking Therapeutics's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Viking Therapeutics shares, or, against the total number of tradable Viking Therapeutics shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Viking Therapeutics's short interest could be expressed as 0.12% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Viking Therapeutics shares in existence, roughly 120 shares are currently held short) or 0.1549% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Viking Therapeutics shares, roughly 155 shares are currently held short).
A SIR below 10% would generally be considered to indicate a fairly optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Viking Therapeutics.
Find out more about how you can short Viking Therapeutics stock.
Viking Therapeutics share dividends
We're not expecting Viking Therapeutics to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Viking Therapeutics share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Viking Therapeutics's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$3.26 up to US$8.87. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Viking Therapeutics's is 1.9916. This would suggest that Viking Therapeutics's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Viking Therapeutics overview
Viking Therapeutics, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on the development of novel therapies for metabolic and endocrine disorders. Its lead drug candidate is VK2809, an orally available tissue and receptor-subtype selective agonist of the thyroid hormone receptor beta, which is in Phase 2b clinical trials to treat patients with biopsy-confirmed non-alcoholic steatohepatitis. The company's lead drug candidate also includes VK5211, an orally available non-steroidal selective androgen receptor modulator that is in Phase II clinical trials for the treatment of patients recovering from non-elective hip fracture surgery. It is also developing VK0612, an orally available Phase 2b-ready drug candidate for type 2 diabetes; and VK0214, an orally available tissue and receptor-subtype selective agonist of the thyroid hormone receptor beta for X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy. Viking Therapeutics, Inc. was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in San Diego, California.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert