We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF is set to become the third Bitcoin-related exchange-traded fund (ETF) listed in the United States following the debut of the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF and Valkyrie Bitcoin Strategy fund.
A company filing over the weekend said the ETF was due to start trading on the Cboe BZX Exchange "as soon as praticable" after October 23. As that was Saturday, trading could start at any time.
The fund will charge a management fee of 0.65%, lower than the first two such funds, which both charge 0.95%.
How to invest in VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF
- Compare online brokers. To invest in exchange traded funds (ETFs) listed in the United States, you'll need to sign up to an ETF broker with access to US markets. Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for the VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF. Find the ETF by name or ticker symbol: XBTF. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until the VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF reaches your desired price.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you've invested in the VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF.
Compare online ETF brokers
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What we know about the VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF
Launched by ETF provider VanEck, the fund is set to launch just days after the successful debut of the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF. It's set to begin trading on the Cboe BZX Exchange under the ticker XBTF.
Like the ProShares Bitcoin Strategy ETF, the VanEck Bitcoin ETF will track the price of bitcoin through futures products, rather than by trading physical coin.
This means investors don't actually own the underlying asset itself but rather are betting on the future value of Bitcoin.
However VanEck is set to undercut its competition by offering a lower management fee of 0.65%. Proshares and Valkyrie by comparison offering a 0.95% expense fee for thei bitcoin ETFs.
VanEck’s launch follows the highly successful ProShares debut in October - which became the fastest fund to reach US$1 billion in assets under management.Here's a look at how the two Bitcoin ETFs and Bitcoin itself have traded since the ETFs launched.
Are cryptocurrency ETFs a good investment?
- Allows investors to gain exposure to Bitcoin without the need for owning the underlying security
- Avoids the hassle of setting up a Bitcoin wallet
- Stepping stone for retail investors
- Lower fees and more liquid than traditional crypto markets
Not so great for
- Investors do not own Bitcoin itself
- Being a futures contract it does not directly track the underlying asset. Instead investors trade on contracts at a predetermined price and date.
Who is the VanEck Bitcoin Strategy ETF suited for?
VanEck's ETF allows investors to gain exposure to Bitcoin without having to own the underlying asset itself.
Investors in VanEck instead own future contracts.
This makes the VanEck ETF suitable for investors who want to gain exposure to Bitcoin without having to go through the troubles of owning the underlying asset.
Due to this it is well suited for retail investors who might not understand the complexities around investing in crypto assets.
It is also suited for investors who are familiar with ETF structures and prefer this method of investing.
More guides on Finder
Where to watch ER online in Australia
The emergency room is no place for the faint of heart.
Hands-on Binance tutorial for beginners (2021/22)
We run through how you buy and trade cryptocurrencies on the Binance exchange.
Ethereum within 2% of new all-time-high price as another global brand adopts NFTs
The past 7 days have seen ETH iron out its recent volatility-induced losses.
Bitcoin’s stagnation is alarming and could be followed by more bearish price action
The last 30-days have seen BTC register substantial losses of over 10%.
Australia’s best weekend deals for December 3, 2021
Australia's best weekend deals include 50% off at BCF, half-price ASICS shoes at Foot Locker, 80% off hot fashion at Nasty Gal.
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: $130 off Philips air fryers, $250 off Apple AirPods Max, 50% off at Myer.
What’s the last day you can shop online for Christmas? Retail cut-off dates
Here are the Christmas delivery cut-off dates for 50 major Australian retailers.
Kayo Sports for $2.50 a month: Grab this limited deal here
Kayo Sports, Australia's leading sports streaming platform, is offering a ridiculous deal for a short time.
Alphabet (GOOGL) share price, company profile and news
Steps to owning and managing Alphabet shares from in Australia.
Ask an Expert