How to buy Tilray shares
Own Tilray shares in just a few minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Tilray, Inc is a drug manufacturers-specialty & generic business with stocks listed in the US. Tilray shares (TLRY) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Here's how to invest if you're based in Australia.
How to buy shares in Tilray
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Tilray. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: TLRY. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Tilray reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Tilray, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Tilray. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
Tilray share priceUse our graph to track the performance of TLRY stocks over time.
Tilray shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$2.43 - US$55.01|
|50-day moving average||US$22.4976|
|200-day moving average||US$10.7543|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$-1.23|
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Tilray stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
|Revenue TTM||US$191.3 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$25.2 million|
|Return on assets TTM||-8.76%|
|Return on equity TTM||-82.25%|
|Market capitalisation||US$4.3 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Tilray shares
There are currently 30.8 million Tilray shares held short by investors – that's known as Tilray's "short interest". This figure is 10.5% down from 34.4 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Tilray shares can be evaluated.
Tilray's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Tilray's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Tilray shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Tilray shares traded daily (recently around 34.6 million). Tilray's SIR currently stands at 0.89. In other words for every 100,000 Tilray shares traded daily on the market, roughly 890 shares are currently held short.
However Tilray's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Tilray shares, or, against the total number of tradable Tilray shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Tilray's short interest could be expressed as 0.19% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Tilray shares in existence, roughly 190 shares are currently held short) or 0.2045% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Tilray shares, roughly 205 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Tilray.
Find out more about how you can short Tilray stock.
Tilray share dividends
We're not expecting Tilray to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Tilray share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Tilray's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$2.43 up to US$55.01. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Tilray's is 2.8296. This would suggest that Tilray's shares are significantly more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent a higher risk.
Tilray, Inc. engages in the research, cultivation, processing, and distribution of medical cannabis. The company offers its products to patients, physicians, pharmacies, governments, and hospitals; and for researchers for commercial purposes, as well as compassionate access and clinical research applications. It operates in Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Germany, Israel, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Switzerland, the United States, and the United Kingdom. The company was incorporated in 2018 and is headquartered in Nanaimo, Canada.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
American Express Platinum Business Card
From Membership Rewards Points to savings on first and business class flights, this charge card is packed with features to help you manage business spending.
Best bed sheets in Australia
From the best sheets for summer to the most luxurious threads, these are the seven best bed sheets you can get in Australia right now.
How to buy Bumble shares from Australia
Everything we know about the Bumble IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Tilray shares
Steps to owning and managing MicroStrategy shares.
How to buy shares in Superhero
Everything we know about the Superhero IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Kuaishou shares from Australia
Everything we know about the Kuaishou IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to invest in the Coinbase (TLRY.US) IPO
Everything we know about the Coinbase IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to invest in the Databricks (TLRY.US) IPO
Everything we know about the Databricks IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy Tilray shares
Steps to owning and managing Ligand Pharmaceuticals shares.
Alternatives to Robinhood in Australia
You can't access Robinhood in Australia, so here are five low-cost alternatives to trade US stocks.
Ask an Expert