How to buy Tilray shares | $4.7
Own Tilray shares in just a few minutes.
Tilray, Inc is a drug manufacturers—specialty & generic business with stocks listed in the US. Tilray shares (TLRY) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$4.7 – a decrease of 13.44% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Tilray
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Tilray. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: TLRY. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Tilray reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$4.7, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Tilray, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Tilray. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
How has coronavirus impacted Tilray's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Tilray's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was US$4.7, which is 75.74% down on its pre-crash value of US$19.37 and 93.42% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as US$2.43.
If you had bought US$1,000 worth of Tilray shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth US$223.07 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth US$272.32.
Tilray share priceUse our graph to track the performance of TLRY stocks over time.
Tilray shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$4.7|
|52-week range||USD$2.43 - USD$29.5|
|50-day moving average||USD$6.6071|
|200-day moving average||USD$7.3945|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$-1.23|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Tilray stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Tilray price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-14)||N/A|
|1 month (2020-08-25)||-29.00%|
|3 months (2020-06-21)||N/A|
|6 months (2020-03-23)||22.08%|
|1 year (2019-09-21)||N/A|
|2 years (2018-09-21)||N/A|
|3 years (2017-09-21)||N/A|
|5 years (2015-09-21)||N/A|
|Revenue TTM||US$184.1 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$-21,455,000|
|Return on assets TTM||-15.52%|
|Return on equity TTM||-212.06%|
|Market capitalisation||US$679.1 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Tilray shares
There are currently 22.0 million Tilray shares held short by investors – that's known as Tilray's "short interest". This figure is 12.9% up from 19.5 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Tilray shares can be evaluated.
Tilray's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Tilray's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Tilray shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Tilray shares traded daily (recently around 8.1 million). Tilray's SIR currently stands at 2.71. In other words for every 100,000 Tilray shares traded daily on the market, roughly 2710 shares are currently held short.
However Tilray's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Tilray shares, or, against the total number of tradable Tilray shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Tilray's short interest could be expressed as 0.14% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Tilray shares in existence, roughly 140 shares are currently held short) or 0.1666% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Tilray shares, roughly 167 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Tilray.
Find out more about how you can short Tilray stock.
Tilray share dividends
We're not expecting Tilray to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Tilray share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Tilray's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$2.43 up to US$29.5. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Tilray's is 2.9084. This would suggest that Tilray's shares are significantly more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent a higher risk.
Tilray, Inc. engages in the research, cultivation, processing, and distribution of medical cannabis. The company offers its products to patients, physicians, pharmacies, governments, and hospitals; and for researchers for commercial purposes, as well as compassionate access and clinical research applications. It operates in Argentina, Australia, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Germany, Israel, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, Switzerland, the United States, and the United Kingdom. The company was incorporated in 2018 and is headquartered in Nanaimo, Canada.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert