How to buy Synlait Milk shares
Own Synlait Milk shares in just a few minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Synlait Milk Limited is a packaged foods business based in Australia. Synlait Milk shares (SM1) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Synlait Milk has a market cap (total outstanding shares value) of $906.3 million.
How to buy shares in Synlait Milk
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Synlait Milk . Find the share by name or ticker symbol: SM1. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Synlait Milk reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $5.12, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Synlait Milk . Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
Synlait Milk share priceUse our graph to track the performance of SM1 stocks over time.
Synlait Milk shares at a glance
|52-week range||$4.33 - $9.37|
|50-day moving average||$5.3906|
|200-day moving average||$6.283|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||$0.285|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Synlait Milk stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Synlait Milk price performance over time
|1 week (2021-01-15)||14.54%|
|1 month (2020-12-23)||10.34%|
|3 months (2020-10-23)||1.39%|
|6 months (2020-07-23)||-24.26%|
|1 year (2020-01-23)||-39.55%|
|2 years (2019-01-23)||-44.71%|
|3 years (2018-01-23)||-20.99%|
|5 years (2016-01-19)||N/A|
Is Synlait Milk under- or over-valued?
Valuing Synlait Milk stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Synlait Milk 's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Synlait Milk 's P/E ratio
Synlait Milk 's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 13x. In other words, Synlait Milk shares trade at around 13x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Synlait Milk financials
|Gross profit TTM||$203.7 million|
|Return on assets TTM||5.89%|
|Return on equity TTM||13.69%|
|Market capitalisation||$906.3 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Synlait Milk share dividends
We're not expecting Synlait Milk to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Synlait Milk share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Synlait Milk 's shares have ranged in value from as little as $4.33 up to $9.37. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Synlait Milk 's is 0.7395. This would suggest that Synlait Milk 's shares are less volatile than average (for this exchange).
Synlait Milk overview
Synlait Milk Limited, together with its subsidiaries, manufactures and sells dairy products in China, rest of Asia, the Middle East, Africa, New Zealand, Australia, and internationally. The company is also involved in the processing, packaging, and marketing of dairy products, including cheese, butter, ice cream, and milk powder under the Alpine, Rolling, Meadow, Dairyworks, and Deep South brands. It offers liquid milk; milk powder related products; nutritional products, such as infant and adult nutritional powders; ingredients comprising skim milk powders and anhydrous milk fat; and specialized nutritional ingredients, such as lactoferrin. The company was founded in 2005 and is headquartered in Rakaia, New Zealand.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$51.65
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Australian Fixed Interest Index ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$52.8
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Ethically Conscious Global Aggregate Bond Index (Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$104.04
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Morningstar Global Technology ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$24.04
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares Global Quality Leaders (Currency Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$89.5
Steps to owning and managing ETFS ROBO Global Robotics and Automation ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$16.94
Steps to owning and managing ETFS FANG+ ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$73.79
Steps to owning and managing ETFS S&P Biotech ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$51.56
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Reliance India Nifty 50 ETF units.
How to buy Synlait Milk units | A$9.4
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares India Quality ETF units.
Ask an Expert