We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Spark New Zealand Limited is a telecom services business based in Australia. Spark New Zealand shares (SPK) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Spark New Zealand has a market cap (total outstanding shares value) of $8.1 billion.
How to buy shares in Spark New Zealand
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Spark New Zealand. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: SPK. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Spark New Zealand reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $4.32, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Spark New Zealand. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- Spark New Zealand key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Spark New Zealand stock a buy or sell?
- Spark New Zealand performance over time
- Are Spark New Zealand shares over-valued?
- Spark New Zealand's financials
- How volatile are Spark New Zealand shares?
- Does Spark New Zealand pay a dividend?
- Have Spark New Zealand shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Spark New Zealand share priceUse our graph to track the performance of SPK stocks over time.
Spark New Zealand shares at a glance
|52-week range||$3.2637 - $4.62|
|50-day moving average||$4.3915|
|200-day moving average||$4.3989|
|Dividend yield||$0.23 (5.23%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||$0.144|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Spark New Zealand stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Spark New Zealand price performance over time
|1 week (2021-01-13)||-5.68%|
|1 month (2020-12-21)||-0.92%|
|3 months (2020-10-21)||-0.23%|
|6 months (2020-07-21)||-4.64%|
|1 year (2020-01-20)||-0.69%|
|2 years (2019-01-18)||13.39%|
|3 years (2018-01-19)||32.92%|
|5 years (2016-01-20)||41.18%|
Is Spark New Zealand under- or over-valued?
Valuing Spark New Zealand stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Spark New Zealand's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Spark New Zealand's P/E ratio
Spark New Zealand's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 31x. In other words, Spark New Zealand shares trade at around 31x recent earnings.
That's comparable to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14).
Spark New Zealand financials
|Gross profit TTM||$1.2 billion|
|Return on assets TTM||9.42%|
|Return on equity TTM||28.87%|
|Market capitalisation||$8.1 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Spark New Zealand share dividends
Dividend payout ratio: 109.45% of net profits
Recently Spark New Zealand has paid out, on average, around 109.45% of net profits as dividends. That has enabled analysts to estimate a "forward annual dividend yield" of 5.23% of the current stock value. This means that over a year, based on recent payouts (which are sadly no guarantee of future payouts), Spark New Zealand shareholders could enjoy a 5.23% return on their shares, in the form of dividend payments. In Spark New Zealand's case, that would currently equate to about A$0.23 per share.
Spark New Zealand's payout ratio would broadly be considered high, and as such this stock could appeal to those looking to generate an income. Bear in mind however that companies should normally also look to re-invest a decent amount of net profits to ensure future growth.
The latest dividend was paid out to all shareholders who bought their shares by 17 September 2020 (the "ex-dividend date").
Have Spark New Zealand's shares ever split?
Spark New Zealand's shares were split on 17 September 2007.
Spark New Zealand share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Spark New Zealand's shares have ranged in value from as little as $3.2637 up to $4.62. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Spark New Zealand's is 0.2574. This would suggest that Spark New Zealand's shares are less volatile than average (for this exchange).
Spark New Zealand overview
Spark New Zealand Limited, together with its subsidiaries, provides telecommunications and digital services in New Zealand. It offers telecommunications, information technology, media, and other digital products and services, including mobile services; voice services; broadband services; Internet TV; cloud, security, and service management services; procurement and partner services; and managed data and networks services. The company also offers IT infrastructure, business and outsourced telecommunications, subscription video-on-demand, big data analytics and marketing automation, data center, and international wholesale telecommunications services. In addition, it provides local, national, and international telephone and data services; group insurance products; and mobile phone repair services. Further, the company retails telecommunications products and services; and distributes equipment. The company was formerly known as Telecom Corporation of New Zealand Limited and changed its name to Spark New Zealand Limited in August 2014. Spark New Zealand Limited was founded in 1987 and is based in Auckland, New Zealand.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$51.74
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Australian Fixed Interest Index ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$52.98
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Ethically Conscious Global Aggregate Bond Index (Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$103.81
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Morningstar Global Technology ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$23.91
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares Global Quality Leaders (Currency Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$88.92
Steps to owning and managing ETFS ROBO Global Robotics and Automation ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$16.55
Steps to owning and managing ETFS FANG+ ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$75.94
Steps to owning and managing ETFS S&P Biotech ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$51.3
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Reliance India Nifty 50 ETF units.
How to buy Spark New Zealand units | A$9.38
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares India Quality ETF units.
Ask an Expert