Where to buy a smoke alarm online in Australia
Keep your family and your home protected with a smoke alarm from these online retailers.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you're worried about the Aussie bushfire season or an accident happening in your home, a smoke alarm is essential in keeping you and your family protected.
Luckily, Australia has pretty strict regulations to make sure everyone has an effective smoke alarm installed in their home.
Keep on scrolling to see a list of retailers that stock smoke alarms, and which ones offer free shipping options.
Smoke Alarm Store is where you can find all kinds of smoke alarm, at some of the best prices. These products are carefully chosen and tested for safety and high quality.
- Free shipping on orders over $250
- 10 years warranty
- Free advice and guidance from smoke alarm specialists
Don't want to pay full price? You don't have to. When you shop at Catch, you're almost always guaranteed a saving.
- Free shipping when you sign up for a Club Catch annual subscription
- Try out Club Catch for free for 30 days
- Express delivery options available
Harvey Norman stocks a wide range of appliances and supplies for your home. If you need a smoke alarm, you'll find it here.
- Responsive customer service line
- Standard, same-day and scheduled delivery is available
- Latitude Pay is available
Bunnings is a one-stop shop for all your home and garden needs. You can find a wide array of smoke alarms available here.
- If you find a competitor's lower price on the same stocked item, Bunnings will beat it by 10%
- Make your purchase with Zip or OpenPay
- Bunnings has leading brands at warehouse prices
If you're looking for an affordable smoke alarm, head straight on over to Officeworks.
- Free metro delivery on orders over $55
- Free 2-hour click and collect available
- If you find a lower priced identical stocked item that's in stock with a competitor (even if it's on sale), Officeworks will beat it by 5%
Does your company belong in this list?
Which of these retailers offers free shipping?
- Smoke Alarm Store: Free shipping on orders over $250
- Amazon: Free shipping on some items with an Amazon Prime membership
- Kogan: Free shipping on eligible items with a Kogan First membership
- Catch: Free shipping when you sign up for a Club Catch annual subscription
- Officeworks: Free metro delivery on orders over $55
How to change a smoke alarm battery
There's no point in having a smoke alarm installed in your home without it actually working. Just like a children's toy, did you know you have to change the battery in your smoke alarm?
Nowadays, it's pretty easy to find a long-lasting battery – ones made from lithium generally have a 10-year lifespan. Other models on the market may have a battery included in the alarm unit.
If your battery does need to be changed, here's what you need to do.
- Most smoke alarms are secured to the ceiling with a basic click-into-place bracket. If that's the case, simply remove the alarm from the bracket.
- Disconnect the old battery and replace it with the new one.
- Attach the unit back to the bracket and before you get off the ladder, test it to make sure it's working properly. Most units will have a "test" button.
No matter what the case is, it's essential to check that your smoke alarms are working properly by testing them at least once a year.
Main image: Getty Images
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Ask an Expert