How to buy shares for children

Want to invest in the stock market for your kids? Keep reading to learn how to buy shares for children.

We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!

If you want to create a brighter financial future for your kids, you might be considering buying shares for your children. With interest rates currently at all-time lows, stocks offer the potential for much higher returns – albeit with a greater level of risk.

But buying shares for kids isn't easy. Not only will most brokers not allow children under 18 to buy shares, but there are also tax implications to consider when investing in your child's name.

This guide will look at the options available to you if you're looking to invest in the stock market for your kids.

Can children own shares?

If you're planning on buying a parcel of shares and giving them to your child straight away, it's not that easy. Most brokers won't allow you to buy shares in your child's name, even though the ATO says it is possible for children to own shares.

High tax rates also apply on investment income (e.g. dividends) earned by minors, so you'll need to consider other options if you want to buy shares for your children.

Let's take a closer look at a few of the available choices.

Open a share trading account

The first option when you want to set up a stock portfolio for your children is to open an online share trading account. However, instead of opening the account in your child's name, you can open a "minor" account in your own name and act as a trustee.

Once your child turns 18, you can then transfer the shares into a brokerage account held in their name. The advantage of this approach is that capital gains tax typically won't apply when you transfer the shares to your child – the shares were always meant for them, so there's no change in beneficial ownership.

It's also easy to set up a trust account. With CommSec, for example, you can select "Trust" when choosing what type of account you'd like to open.

An alternative option is to simply invest in shares in your name via your own online trading account. Then, once your child reaches 18 years of age, you can transfer the shares to them via an off-market transfer – a private transaction that doesn't take place through the share market. However, you'll need to pay a fee that varies from approximately $25 to $60, while gifting shares is also classified by the tax office as a capital gains tax event.

Compare share trading accounts

Name Product Standard brokerage fee Inactivity fee Markets International
eToro (global stocks)
US$10 per month if there’s been no login for 12 months
Global shares, US shares, ETFs
Zero brokerage share trading on US, Hong Kong and European stocks with trades as low as $50.
Note: This broker offers CFDs which are volatile investment products and most clients lose money trading CFDs with this provider.
Join the world’s biggest social trading network when you trade stocks, commodities and currencies from the one account.
IG Share Trading
$50 per quarter if you make fewer than three trades in that period
ASX shares, Global shares
$0 brokerage for US and global shares plus get an active trader discount of $5 commission on Australian shares.
Enjoy some of the lowest brokerage fees on the market when trading Australian shares, international shares, plus get access to 24-hour customer support.
Superhero share trading
ASX shares, US shares, ETFs
Earn up to 15,000 Qantas frequent flyer points when you transfer an exisiting balance or trade. Offer valid for all new and existing Superhero members until 28 February.
Pay zero brokerage on US stocks and all ETFs and just $5 (flat fee) to trade Australian shares from your mobile or desktop.
GO Markets Share Trading
ASX shares, Forex, CFDs, ETFs
Pay zero brokerage on your first 20 trades and $7.70 after that on over 2,500 ASX listed shares from either your desktop or mobile.
ThinkMarkets Share Trading
ASX shares
$8 flat fee brokerage for CHESS Sponsored ASX stocks (HIN ownership), plus free live stock price data on an easy to use mobile app.
Saxo Capital Markets (Classic account)
ASX shares, Global shares, ETFs
Access 19,000+ stocks on 40+ exchanges worldwide
Low fees for Australian and global share trading, no inactivity fees, low currency conversion fee and optimised for mobile.
HSBC Online Share Trading
ASX shares, mFunds, ETFs, Bonds
Limited-time offer: Join HSBC’s online trading account before 28 February 2022 and HSBC will reimburse you up to $100 on your first 5 trades. Also traders who transfer $50k+ will get a $200 bonus(T&Cs apply).
Make trades online with brokerage fees starting from just $19.95 with an HSBC Online Share Trading account. Plus gain access to complimentary expert research, trading ideas and tools.
SelfWealth (Basic account)
ASX shares, US shares
Trade ASX and US shares for a flat fee of $9.50, regardless of the trade size.
New customers receive free access to Community Insights with SelfWealth Premium for the first 90 days. Follow other investors and benchmark your portfolio performance.

Compare up to 4 providers

Important: Share trading can be financially risky and the value of your investment can go down as well as up. Standard brokerage is the cost to purchase $1,000 or less of equities without any qualifications or special eligibility. Where both CHESS sponsored and custodian shares are offered, we display the cheapest option.

Name Product Fees Minimum Investment Investment product Number of Portfolios
From $7 per month
Stocks, bonds, cash, ETFs
Six Park
From $9.95 /month
Invest in Australian and global shares, property, infrastructure, emerging markets, bonds and cash with Six Park.
Raiz Invest
From $2.50 /month
Invest in Australian and international stocks, fixed income/bonds and cash.
Spaceship Voyager (Universe Portfolio)
From $0 /year
AU & Global Shares, Cash
Invest in Australian shares, global shares and cash markets.
From $5.50 /month
InvestSMART Robo Advice
From $99 /year
From $0 /year
Spaceship Voyager (Origin Portfolio)
From $0 /year
AU & Global Shares, Cash

Compare up to 4 providers

Open a robo-advice account

If you're new to investing or just want to take more of a hands-off approach, you may want to sign up for an account with a robo-advice service. Robo advisers are essentially digital investment advisers, automatically managing your investments on your behalf based on your appetite for risk and financial goals.

Once again, it's possible to use a robo-advice service to invest on your child's behalf. The investments are held in your name for legal and tax purposes, but you act as a trustee for your child until they turn 18.

Of course, you'll need to consider any monthly or annual fees the robo-advisor charges as well as whether there's a minimum investment limit. Check out our comprehensive guide to robo-advisors for more information.

Set up a trust

For some parents, the best approach may be to set up a discretionary family trust. The trust then purchases shares, ETFs or other investments, and your kids can be made beneficiaries of the trust.

Setting up a trust can provide tax benefits, but it can also be a complicated and expensive exercise. For most mum and dad investors who are creating an investment plan for their children, other approaches are simpler and more affordable.

However, if you think a trust could be worthwhile, contact your accountant or financial adviser for details on how to get started.

How to gift shares to children

Another option is to build an investment portfolio in your own name, and then gift those shares to your children once they turn 18. Your child can then hold the shares in an account in their own name or cash out the investments to spend the money elsewhere.

If you're considering this approach, it's a good idea to check with your broker to find out what process you'll need to complete in order to transfer shares to your child. For example, some brokers make it as simple as filling out an online form. You'll also need to check what fees apply, plus consider the capital gains tax implications.

You'll find lots more useful information in our guide to buying shares as a gift.

Buy insurance bonds for children

Insurance bonds, also known as investment bonds, are offered by insurance companies and friendly societies. These long-term investments are similar to super funds, and they combine an investment portfolio and a life insurance policy together in the one package.

You can nominate the date when ownership of the bond is transferred to your child, while investments within the bond are taxed at a rate of 30%. And if you hold the bond for at least 10 years without making any withdrawals, no further tax applies when you do decide to withdraw the funds. However, you will need to be aware of annual investment management fees.

Tax implications when investing for children

As you've no doubt gathered by now, there are many tax implications to consider no matter which investment option you select for your kids.

The person that owns and controls the shares must declare any dividends as well as capital gains and losses from share sales to the ATO. But it's worth noting that the ATO has rules in place to stop parents trying to dodge their tax responsibilities by hiding investments in their child's name.

As a result, if your child holds shares in their name and earns more than $416 in investment income during a financial year, you'll need to lodge a tax return on their behalf. Unfortunately, they can be taxed at a rate of up to 66%.

If a parent owns the shares in their own name, or if the parent invests as a trustee, they must declare dividend payments and capital gains tax events on their own tax return. With this in mind, it's a good idea for couples to put any such investments in the lower income earner's name.

Buying shares for children is a great way to help provide a more secure financial future for your kids, but it's also complicated. It's well worth seeking advice from an accountant to help you compare and choose investment options for your children.

More guides on Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site