8 best sites to buy healthy and organic food online
If you’re looking for the freshest organic produce then the Internet offers lots of choices. From quinoa to quinces, here’s where to shop for healthy and organic food online.
Broadly speaking, any food that calls itself organic is stating that at no point in its life has it had anything artificial sprayed on it, added to it or included in it. Most commonly this means it is free from pesticides, preservatives, additives, sweeteners, dyes, and (usually) that it is free from any type of genetic modification.
Although its popularity is growing, organic food remains a speciality area. Depending where you live, you may still find that it is hard to find organic products, or that the selection is limited.
But never fear, the internet is here, and today you can get a full range of organic products delivered right to your door. Read on to find out more about the best sites to buy healthy and organic foods online in Australia.
Why should I eat organic foods?
In recent years there has been a real push toward organic foods, and many people believe that it’s a better, healthier choice. Reducing the amount of artificial ingredients that enter your body can only be a good thing, but it is also worth remembering that several studies have shown that organic and non-organic foods contain roughly the same amount of vitamins and minerals, so the health benefits may not be as great as you think. Organic foods do have other positives: , their production process is typically more environmentally friendly and more conscious of animal welfare.
One of Australia’s largest supermarket chains, Coles has a wide selection of organic foods, including fruits and vegetables. These can be bought in store or online, where you can also get all of the other products in its range. Keep your eyes peeled for specials and sales too.
- Wide selection of products, not limited to food
- Collect FlyBuys rewards points on all purchases
- Free delivery available every Wednesday
The other major Australian supermarket, Woolworths also offers a complete online grocery store and delivery service. You’ll find a wide range of organic fruits and vegetables -- be sure to sign up to the Woolworths Everyday Rewards program to collect points and unlock savings.
- Wide selection of products, not limited to food
- Everyday Rewards program to earn points on your spend
- Delivery Saver passes available to cut costs of delivery
Go to Woolworths
Honest to Goodness
The mission statement at Honest to Goodness is simple: 'No Nasties'. This means the wholefoods seller, based out of Alexandria in Sydney, makes sure there are no artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, sweeteners, hydrogenated fats or GMOs in their food. They're also a Certified B Corporation, meaning they're super eco-friendly and have reached the highest standard of social and environmental accountability.
- Order Australia-wide direct from the Honest to Goodness website
- Check the Specials section for great monthly offers
- The Honest to Goodness recipes sections and Instagram account are full of tempting food inspiration
Go to Honest to Goodness
Aussie Farmers Direct
If you’re looking for fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, then why not go right to the source? Here you’ll find a wide range of products straight from farms around Australia. The selection is not as broad as the big supermarkets, but if you’re looking for farm-to-table options, you’ll here.
- Free delivery on orders more than $25
- Weekly special offers
- PayPal accepted as a payment method
Go to Aussie Farmers Direct
Bulk Whole Foods
With a wide range of products, including food, drinks and nutritional supplements, Bulk Whole Foods is a serious player on the organic scene. It offers flat-rate shipping across Australia and even has a retail store in Somerville, Victoria. It might not have enough to get your full grocery shop in, but it will come pretty close.
- Flat rate of $9.95 for shipping
- Shipping is available Australia wide
- Get 10% off when you sign up to the newsletter
Natural Earth Health Products
Natural Earth Health Products sells supplements, seed packages and home products. While this probably won’t be enough to make up your full weekly shop, if you’re looking for certain nutritional items then it’s a good place to check out.
- Shipping available across Australia.
- Sale section that offers new products constantly.
- Also sell a range of health-focused books and DVDs
Go to Natural Earth
It isn’t hard to guess what Coconut Magic are all about. That’s right. It’s the coconut. Its founder and CEO first got hooked on coconut products during a trip to Thailand, and upon returning to Australia decided to launch a product line selling all things coconut. Here you’ll find products for you home, bath, and, of course, your table.
- Free shipping on orders more than $99
- Specialises in products you may not find easily elsewhere
- Recipe books and DVDs also available to help you get the most from your products
Go to Coconut Magic
Happy Tummies was founded to make shopping easier for those with dietary restrictions, and has since expanded into an online store with a wide product range. Here you’ll find everything for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with plenty of choice for those hard-to-buy for diets.
- Specialist produce, including extensive Free-From range and foods for those with specific dietary requirements
- Nationwide shipping
- Free dietary eBook available when you sign up for the Happy Tummies newsletter.
Which of these retailers offer free delivery?
- Coles — Free delivery every Wednesday.
- Shopwings — First delivery free.
- Aussie Farmers Direct — Free delivery on orders more than $25
- Coconut Magic — Free delivery on orders more than $99.
Want to buy organic online? Use one of our coupons:
Aussie Farmers' Starter Box delivered to your door for just $25
Get the Aussie Farmers' Starter Box delivered to your door for just $25.
Save on natural products
Shop Natural Earth Health Products' sale section
Spend more than $99 at Coconut Magic and get your order shipped free