How to buy Nio shares | $18.32
Own Nio shares in just a few minutes.
NIO Limited is an auto manufacturers business with stocks listed in the US. Nio shares (NIO) are listed on the NYSE and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$18.32 – a decrease of 2.6% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Nio
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Nio. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: NIO. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Nio reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$18.32, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Nio, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Nio. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
Nio share priceUse our graph to track the performance of NIO stocks over time.
Nio shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$18.32|
|52-week range||USD$1.36 - USD$21.05|
|50-day moving average||USD$16.922|
|200-day moving average||USD$8.7964|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$-44.102|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Nio stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Nio price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-22)||-4.73%|
|1 month (2020-08-28)||-0.97%|
|3 months (2020-06-29)||153.39%|
|6 months (2020-03-27)||545.07%|
|1 year (2019-09-27)||946.86%|
|2 years (2018-09-28)||162.46%|
|3 years (2017-09-25)||N/A|
|5 years (2015-09-25)||N/A|
|Gross profit TTM||US$-1,198,822,000|
|Return on assets TTM||-24.08%|
|Return on equity TTM||-1711.88%|
|Market capitalisation||US$21.8 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Nio shares
There are currently 63.2 million Nio shares held short by investors – that's known as Nio's "short interest". This figure is 42.8% down from 110.5 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Nio shares can be evaluated.
Nio's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Nio's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Nio shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Nio shares traded daily (recently around 129.0 million). Nio's SIR currently stands at 0.49. In other words for every 100,000 Nio shares traded daily on the market, roughly 490 shares are currently held short.
However Nio's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Nio shares, or, against the total number of tradable Nio shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Nio's short interest could be expressed as 0.05% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Nio shares in existence, roughly 50 shares are currently held short) or 0% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Nio shares, roughly 0 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Nio.
Find out more about how you can short Nio stock.
Nio share dividends
We're not expecting Nio to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Nio share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Nio's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$1.36 up to US$21.05. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NYSE average) beta is 1, while Nio's is 2.857. This would suggest that Nio's shares are significantly more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent a higher risk.
NIO Limited designs, manufactures, and sells electric vehicles in the People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Germany. The company offers five, six, and seven-seater electric SUVs. It is also involved in the provision of energy and service packages to its users; marketing, design, and technology development activities; manufacture of e-powertrains, battery packs, and components; and sales and after sales management activities. In addition, the company offers charging solutions, including Power Home, a home charging solution; Power Swap, a battery swapping service; Power Mobile, a mobile charging service through charging trucks; Public Charger, a public fast charging solution; and Power Express, a 24-hour on-demand pick-up and drop-off charging service. Further, it provides value-added services, such as statutory and third-party liability insurance, and vehicle damage insurance through third-party insurers; repair and routine maintenance services; courtesy car services during lengthy repairs and maintenance; and roadside assistance, as well as data packages. NIO Limited has a strategic collaboration with Mobileye N.V. for the development of automated and autonomous vehicles; and collaboration agreements with various manufacturers for the manufacture of ES8, a six or seven-seater high-performance electric SUV. The company was formerly known as NextEV Inc. and changed its name to NIO Limited in July 2017. NIO Limited was founded in 2014 and is headquartered in Shanghai, China.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert