How to buy Nio (NIO) shares in Australia
Learn how to easily invest in Nio shares.
NIO Inc (NIO) manufactures and sells electric vehicles in China, the United States and other countries around the world. The company is also involved in the production of other energy products and services, including battery packs and mobile charging services. Sometimes referred to as China's answer to Tesla, NIO is headquartered in Shanghai and trades on the New York Stock Exchange.
How to buy shares in Nio
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a company listed in the US from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. Look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, which will typically include your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Nio. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: NIO. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment that matches your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Nio reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying using consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$7.32, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Nio, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Nio. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights.
Nio stock price (NYSE:NIO)Use our graph to track the performance of NIO stocks over time.
Nio shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$7 - US$16.18|
|50-day moving average||US$7.9486|
|200-day moving average||US$9.2936|
|Dividend yield||US$0 (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$-1.79|
Nio price performance over time
|1 week (2023-11-29)||3.48%|
|1 month (2023-11-06)||-6.78%|
|3 months (2023-09-06)||-29.77%|
|6 months (2023-06-06)||-5.71%|
|1 year (2022-12-06)||-43.88%|
|2 years (2021-12-06)||-77.03%|
|3 years (2020-12-04)||-82.74%|
|5 years (2018-12-06)||0.81%|
Compare trading platforms to buy Nio shares
Is it a good time to buy Nio stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. However, this is not a recommendation. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Nio share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Nio's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$7 up to US$16.18. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta measures a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NYSE average) beta is 1, while Nio's is 1.994. This would suggest that Nio's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
|Revenue TTM||US$48.5 billion|
|Gross profit TTM||US$5.1 billion|
|Return on assets TTM||-15%|
|Return on equity TTM||-77.63%|
|Market capitalisation||US$13.2 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Nio share dividends
We're not expecting Nio to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
NIO Inc. designs, develops, manufactures, and sells smart electric vehicles in China. It offers five and six-seater electric SUVs, as well as smart electric sedans. The company also offers power solutions, including Power Home, a home charging solution; Power Swap, a battery swapping service; Power Charger and Destination Charger; Power Mobile, a mobile charging service through charging vans; Power Map, an application that provides access to a network of public chargers and their real-time information; and One Click for Power valet service. In addition, it provides repair, maintenance, and bodywork services through its NIO service centers and authorized third-party service centers; statutory and third-party liability insurance, and vehicle damage insurance through third-party insurers; repair and routine maintenance; courtesy vehicle services; roadside assistance; data packages; and auto financing and financial leasing services. Further, the company involved in the provision of energy and service packages to its users; design and technology development activities; manufacture of e-powertrains, battery packs, and components; and sales and after sales management activities. Additionally, it offers NIO Certified, a used vehicle inspection, evaluation, acquisition, and sales service. The company was formerly known as NextEV Inc. and changed its name to NIO Inc. in July 2017. NIO Inc. was incorporated in 2014 and is headquartered in Shanghai, China.
Stocks similar to Nio
01 February 2023: NIO delivered 8,506 vehicles in January 2023, giving it a cumulative deliveries of 298,062 as of 31 January 2023.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Shein IPO: How to invest in the Shein IPO
What you need to know about investing in Shein from Australia.
Best performing stocks on the ASX in 2023 (Updated weekly)
Looking for the best performing stocks in Australia? We update this list weekly.
Tiger Brokers review for Australians
If you're thinking of trading stocks with Tiger Brokers, check out our review of this online broker's fees, safety and pros and cons first.
How to buy Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA ADR (GOL) shares in Australia
Steps to owning and managing Gol Linhas Aéreas Inteligentes SA shares from Australia.
How to buy Caltex Australia shares
Steps to owning and managing Caltex Australia shares from .
A beginner’s guide to Lego investing
Looking for alternative investments? With a ROI of up to 3,593% lego may be worth considering. Read on to find out which lego sets are worth the investment.
The cheapest stock brokers in Australia (Dec 2023)
Find cheap stock brokerage in Australia when buying and selling shares on the ASX and other international exchanges.
What is the money market?
Learn about the money market and everyday consumer money market products.
Is investing in crowdfunding a safe investment?
Equity crowdfunding offers a unique opportunity for investors and for Australian startups, but Australia’s regulatory framework surrounding crowdfunding still lags behind the rest of the world.
The best trading platforms in Australia for 2023
Follow these tips to find the best share trading platform for you.
Ask an Expert