How to buy Marathon Digital shares
Own Marathon Digital shares in just a few minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Marathon Digital Holdings, Inc (MARA) is a leading capital markets business with stocks listed in the US. It opened the day at US$39.3265 after a previous close of US$38.13. During the day the price has varied from a low of USD38.57 to a high of USD44.35. The latest price was USD44.14 (25 minute delay). Marathon Digital is listed on the NASDAQ. All prices are listed in US Dollars.
How to buy shares in Marathon Digital
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Marathon Digital. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: MARA. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Marathon Digital reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$30.63, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Marathon Digital, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Marathon Digital. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Marathon Digital key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Marathon Digital stock a buy or sell?
- Marathon Digital performance over time
- Can I short Marathon Digital shares?
- Marathon Digital's financials
- How volatile are Marathon Digital shares?
- Does Marathon Digital pay a dividend?
- Have Marathon Digital shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Marathon Digital share priceUse our graph to track the performance of MARA stocks over time.
Marathon Digital shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$0.38 - US$57.75|
|50-day moving average||US$39.316|
|200-day moving average||US$17.5479|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$-1.169|
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Marathon Digital stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Marathon Digital price performance over time
|1 week (2021-03-31)||-8.08%|
|1 month (2021-03-10)||15.58%|
|3 months (2021-01-08)||67.26%|
|6 months (2020-10-08)||1,962.62%|
|1 year (2020-04-08)||9,099.67%|
|2 years (2019-04-08)||1,493.50%|
|3 years (2018-04-06)||876.55%|
|5 years (2016-04-08)||480.79%|
Marathon Digital financials
|Revenue TTM||US$4.4 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$-7,373,828|
|Return on assets TTM||-3.5%|
|Return on equity TTM||-6.63%|
|Market capitalisation||US$4.9 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Marathon Digital shares
There are currently 9.4 million Marathon Digital shares held short by investors – that's known as Marathon Digital's "short interest". This figure is 2.6% up from 9.2 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Marathon Digital shares can be evaluated.
Marathon Digital's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Marathon Digital's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Marathon Digital shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Marathon Digital shares traded daily (recently around 23.0 million). Marathon Digital's SIR currently stands at 0.41. In other words for every 100,000 Marathon Digital shares traded daily on the market, roughly 410 shares are currently held short.
However Marathon Digital's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Marathon Digital shares, or, against the total number of tradable Marathon Digital shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Marathon Digital's short interest could be expressed as 0.1% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Marathon Digital shares in existence, roughly 100 shares are currently held short) or 0.1015% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Marathon Digital shares, roughly 102 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Marathon Digital.
Find out more about how you can short Marathon Digital stock.
Marathon Digital share dividends
We're not expecting Marathon Digital to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Marathon Digital's shares ever split?
Marathon Digital's shares were split on a 1:4 basis on 7 April 2019. So if you had owned 4 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Marathon Digital shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 300% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Marathon Digital shares which in turn could have impacted Marathon Digital's share price.
Marathon Digital share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Marathon Digital's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$0.38 up to US$57.75. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Marathon Digital's is 4.6685. This would suggest that Marathon Digital's shares are significantly more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent a higher risk.
Marathon Digital overview
Marathon Digital Holdings, Inc. operates as a digital asset technology company that mines cryptocurrencies with a focus on the blockchain ecosystem and the generation of digital assets in United States. The company was formerly known as Marathon Patent Group, Inc. and changed its name to Marathon Digital Holdings, Inc. in February 2021. Marathon Digital Holdings, Inc. was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert