We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Howmet Aerospace Inc (HWM) is a leading specialty industrial machinery business with stocks listed in the US. It opened the day at US$35.27 after a previous close of US$35.01. During the day the price has varied from a low of USD34.96 to a high of USD35.55. The latest price was USD35.37 (25 minute delay). Howmet Aerospace is listed on the NYSE. All prices are listed in US Dollars.
How to buy shares in Howmet Aerospace
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Howmet Aerospace. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: HWM. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Howmet Aerospace reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$35.2, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Howmet Aerospace, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Howmet Aerospace. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Howmet Aerospace key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Howmet Aerospace stock a buy or sell?
- Howmet Aerospace performance over time
- Can I short Howmet Aerospace shares?
- Are Howmet Aerospace shares over-valued?
- Howmet Aerospace's financials
- How volatile are Howmet Aerospace shares?
- Does Howmet Aerospace pay a dividend?
- Have Howmet Aerospace shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Howmet Aerospace share priceUse our graph to track the performance of HWM stocks over time.
Howmet Aerospace shares at a glance
|52-week range||US$13.08 - US$36.03|
|50-day moving average||US$33.4017|
|200-day moving average||US$29.7576|
|Dividend yield||US$0.08 (0.64%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||US$0.9819|
Compare share trading platforms to buy stock
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Is it a good time to buy Howmet Aerospace stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Howmet Aerospace price performance over time
|1 week (2021-06-04)||0.48%|
|1 month (2021-05-12)||10.95%|
|3 months (2021-03-12)||12.11%|
|6 months (2020-12-11)||33.83%|
|1 year (2020-06-12)||152.64%|
|2 years (2019-06-12)||103.64%|
|3 years (2018-06-12)||156.36%|
|5 years (2016-06-08)||inf%|
Is Howmet Aerospace under- or over-valued?
Valuing Howmet Aerospace stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Howmet Aerospace's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Howmet Aerospace's PEG ratio
Howmet Aerospace's "price/earnings-to-growth ratio" can be calculated by dividing its P/E ratio by its growth – to give 0.8035. A low ratio can be interpreted as meaning the shares offer better value, while a higher ratio can be interpreted as meaning the shares offer worse value.
The PEG ratio provides a broader view than just the P/E ratio, as it gives more insight into Howmet Aerospace's future profitability. By accounting for growth, it could also help you if you're comparing the share prices of multiple high-growth companies.
Howmet Aerospace's EBITDA
Howmet Aerospace's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is US$1 billion.
The EBITDA is a measure of a Howmet Aerospace's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Howmet Aerospace financials
|Revenue TTM||US$4.8 billion|
|Operating margin TTM||15%|
|Gross profit TTM||US$1.4 billion|
|Return on assets TTM||3.08%|
|Return on equity TTM||3.26%|
|Market capitalisation||US$15 billion|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Howmet Aerospace shares
There are currently 9.5 million Howmet Aerospace shares held short by investors – that's known as Howmet Aerospace's "short interest". This figure is 52.7% up from 6.2 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Howmet Aerospace shares can be evaluated.
Howmet Aerospace's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Howmet Aerospace's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Howmet Aerospace shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Howmet Aerospace shares traded daily (recently around 3.8 million). Howmet Aerospace's SIR currently stands at 2.47. In other words for every 100,000 Howmet Aerospace shares traded daily on the market, roughly 2470 shares are currently held short.
However Howmet Aerospace's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Howmet Aerospace shares, or, against the total number of tradable Howmet Aerospace shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Howmet Aerospace's short interest could be expressed as 0.02% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Howmet Aerospace shares in existence, roughly 20 shares are currently held short) or 0.0221% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Howmet Aerospace shares, roughly 22 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Howmet Aerospace.
Find out more about how you can short Howmet Aerospace stock.
Howmet Aerospace share dividends
We're not expecting Howmet Aerospace to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Howmet Aerospace's shares ever split?
Howmet Aerospace's shares were split on a 1334:1000 basis on 31 October 2016. So if you had owned 1000 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1334 shares. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Howmet Aerospace shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 25% lower share price could have impacted the market appetite for Howmet Aerospace shares which in turn could have impacted Howmet Aerospace's share price.
Howmet Aerospace share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Howmet Aerospace's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$13.08 up to US$36.03. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NYSE average) beta is 1, while Howmet Aerospace's is 1.7326. This would suggest that Howmet Aerospace's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Howmet Aerospace overview
Howmet Aerospace Inc. provides advanced engineered solutions for the aerospace and transportation industries in the United States, Japan, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Italy, Canada, Poland, China, and internationally. It operates through four segments: Engine Products, Fastening Systems, Engineered Structures, and Forged Wheels. The Engine Products segment offers airfoils and seamless rolled rings primarily for aircraft engines and industrial gas turbines; and rotating parts, as well as structural parts. The Fastening Systems segment produces aerospace fastening systems and commercial transportation fasteners. The Engineered Structures segment provides titanium ingots and mill products for aerospace and defense applications; and aluminum and nickel forgings, and machined components and assemblies. The Forged Wheels segment offers forged aluminum wheels and related products for heavy-duty trucks and commercial transportation markets. The company was formerly known as Arconic Inc. The company was founded in 1888 and is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert