How to buy Horizon Oil shares
Own Horizon Oil shares in just a few minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Horizon Oil Limited is an oil & gas e&p business based in Australia. Horizon Oil shares (HZN) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Horizon Oil has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $84 million.
How to buy shares in Horizon Oil
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Horizon Oil. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: HZN. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Horizon Oil reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $0.059, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Horizon Oil. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- Horizon Oil key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Horizon Oil stock a buy or sell?
- Horizon Oil performance over time
- Are Horizon Oil shares over-valued?
- Horizon Oil's financials
- How volatile are Horizon Oil shares?
- Does Horizon Oil pay a dividend?
- Have Horizon Oil shares ever split?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Horizon Oil's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Horizon Oil's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was $0.059, which is 26.25% down on its pre-crash value of $0.08 and 40.48% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as $0.042.
If you had bought $1,000 worth of Horizon Oil shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth $426.09 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth $513.04.
Horizon Oil share priceUse our graph to track the performance of HZN stocks over time.
Horizon Oil shares at a glance
|52-week range||$0.042 - $0.13|
|50-day moving average||$0.0635|
|200-day moving average||$0.0596|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||$0.022|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Horizon Oil stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Horizon Oil price performance over time
|1 week (2021-01-08)||-7.81%|
|1 month (2020-12-16)||-9.23%|
|3 months (2020-10-16)||-1.67%|
|6 months (2020-07-16)||-1.67%|
|1 year (2020-01-16)||-50.83%|
|2 years (2019-01-16)||-43.81%|
|3 years (2018-01-16)||-46.36%|
|5 years (2016-01-15)||-25.32%|
Is Horizon Oil under- or over-valued?
Valuing Horizon Oil stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Horizon Oil's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Horizon Oil's P/E ratio
Horizon Oil's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 3x. In other words, Horizon Oil shares trade at around 3x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Horizon Oil's EBITDA
Horizon Oil's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is $45.8 million (£0.0 million).
The EBITDA is a measure of a Horizon Oil's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Horizon Oil financials
|Revenue TTM||$84 million|
|Gross profit TTM||$30.6 million|
|Return on assets TTM||-15.02%|
|Return on equity TTM||-49.2%|
|Market capitalisation||$89.8 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Horizon Oil share dividends
We're not expecting Horizon Oil to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Horizon Oil's shares ever split?
Horizon Oil's shares were split on 19 October 2006.
Horizon Oil share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Horizon Oil's shares have ranged in value from as little as $0.042 up to $0.13. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Horizon Oil's is 1.642. This would suggest that Horizon Oil's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Horizon Oil overview
Horizon Oil Limited, together with its subsidiaries, engages in the exploration, development, and production of oil and gas properties. It holds interest in the Block 22/12 oil field in Beibu Gulf, China, as well as engages in the exploration and evaluation of hydrocarbons; Maari/Manaia oil fields in New Zealand; and Stanley condensate/gas development and six onshore permits in Papua New Guinea. The company was incorporated in 1969 and is based in Sydney, Australia.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$51.7
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Australian Fixed Interest Index ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$52.97
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Ethically Conscious Global Aggregate Bond Index (Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$102.29
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Morningstar Global Technology ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$23.73
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares Global Quality Leaders (Currency Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$88.25
Steps to owning and managing ETFS ROBO Global Robotics and Automation ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$16
Steps to owning and managing ETFS FANG+ ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$74.89
Steps to owning and managing ETFS S&P Biotech ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$50.91
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Reliance India Nifty 50 ETF units.
How to buy Horizon Oil units | A$9.43
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares India Quality ETF units.
Ask an Expert