Here's where to shop, where to find discounts and how to choose the style of your designer bag.
Shoes may get you where you need to go, but handbags literally hold your life together. A handbag is there for you no matter what kind of day you’re going to have and having a little Fendi or Chanel hanging on your shoulder makes any of those days just a little bit better.
Whether you need an everyday bag that holds everything from your lipstick to your lunch, or you need the kind of bag that you wear once and then stow away safely in a dust bag - we know where to look.
It may surprise you that you no longer have to pay an arm and a leg to get your remaining arm on a designer bag. There are a number of online retailers that can save you time and money when shopping for your next designer purchase. Plus, we're giving you access to a huge range of discounts and promo codes to help you get the best deal possible.
Happy handbag hunting!
Top tips for buying designer handbags online
- Shop around. Online shopping has given rise to cheaper products and competitive offers, so be sure to look around and see what’s out there before typing in that credit card number.
- Read reviews. If you’re investing in something as expensive as a designer handbag, you want to make sure the quality is up to scratch. Read customer reviews of the retailer’s products and services on external sites to see if they will be worth the money. Also try reading sites like http://www.purseblog.com/ which offer opinions and reviews of designer bags on the market now.
- Spend smart. You can use coupons and discount codes, like those on finder.com.au, to save money on your purchase. Make sure you browse through the codes and see if there’s one you can use for your dream handbag.
Most popular and iconic designer bags
Best sites for buying designer bags
YOOX - part of the Net-a-porter group, YOOX is a online store for discounted designer luxury goods. With one of the largest selections of brands, YOOX should be your first stop when looking for a designer bag.
Reebonz - member's only site offers some of the best prices in the market on luxury brands. But items are only available for a limited window, so if you see something you like snap it up quickly.
Farfetch - Farfetch offers customers access to over 300 boutiques around the world. This site gives you access to designer goods you probably can't find in your own country.
Shopbop - great customer service and an efficient user experience sets Shopbop apart. Stocking a range of high street and luxury designer items, you can't go wrong when you shop at Shopbop.
THE ICONIC - one of Australia's favourite places to shop stocks a couple of luxury designer brands like Karl Lagerfeld. Plus you can have it shipped overnight for free!
Stylebop - curated and exclusive, Stylebop is a place for all the best pieces in the current designer collections. If you're looking for something truly special this is where you should shop.
The Outnet - also part of the Net-a-porter group, The Outnet is an outlet for designer goods. Every single piece on this site is luxury and discounted.
Promo codes for designer handbags
Important things to consider when buying a designer bag
New or old
Do you want the excitement of opening a up a brand new designer bag? Is newness and mint-condition something that's important to you? As much as we all love to buy things brand new, if newness isn't too high on your list of priorities, you might want to consider buying your designer bag second-hand. Reebonz and Shopbop have sections dedicated to well-kept, pre-owned items. This decision might save you a few hundred or a few thousand dollars.
Are you planning on keeping your designer bag forever or are you planning on trading it in later down the track? If you think there's a chance you might want to sell it later on, it's important you do your research before buying. Some designer bags have a low resale value but some designer bags hold their value, meaning you can potentially sell it for what you paid initially. Then there are a select few designer bags that increase in value, meaning that, in a few years, you can sell it for more than what you paid. If the resale value is something that is important to you, make sure buy a bag that has historically performed well at a resale level.
Do you want a trend piece or do you want something classic? Trend pieces are hot. They're easy to recognise and it will be very clear that you have a current season bag hanging from your arm. On the downside, trend pieces change every season and your new bag may only end up being in fashion for a year or even a few months. If style longevity is something that is important to you, consider ditching the trend pieces in favour of something more classic. Most designer brands have a signature bag style (like the Givenchy Antigona or the Mulberry Bayswater) that they have been making for decades - it's these classic styles that will always be in fashion and will hold their value at resale.
You might be interested in reading:
- The safest investment you ever make might just be a Chanel bag
- Why a Birkin Bag is more valuable than gold
Once you've settled on a bag you like, make sure you read reviews. You don't want to drop a small fortune on a bag that wears poorly or doesn't live up to the hype. Most stores have a reviews section on the item listing which should offer helpful advice. Alternatively, there are some great sites like purseblog.com which has lots of detailed designer bag reviews and trials.
Types of bags
- Half moon
- Doctor bag
- Camera bag
How to care for designer bags
If you want your designer bag to last you’ll need to take good care of it. Here are some tips to keep your bag in top condition:
- Always store your bag in its dust cover when you’re not using it.
- Store your bag away from direct sunlight and away from places that attract moisture.
- Be careful where you place your handbag at home or work. Don't put it in on the floor or on surfaces that might scratch the hardware.
- Buy a leather conditioner and put it on the bag before you use it. You don't want rain ruining your beautiful new purchase.
- Regularly clean the inside of your bag to avoid smells or stains.
- Invest in a makeup bag to put lipglosses and lipsticks in - a cheap one will do. Lipglosses and lipsticks can leak and ruin the lining of your bag. Make sure you keep them in their own separate space.
Do you have any other questions about designer bags?
Here at finder we have a dedicated shopping team that love their designer handbags just as much as you! If you've got a question the team will be happy to answer it for you - just send us your question in the comments.