How to buy Chinese yuan (CNY) online
Learn how to get the best value when buying renminbi.
One of the easiest and most cost-effective ways of buying foreign currency is to order online and get it delivered to your door, or to order online and then pick it up in-store.
This guide explains where you can buy CNY in cash online and how to find the best rates when you do.
Quick guide: How to buy CNY online in 4 easy steps
- Compare the rates at different services and look for any fees which may apply.
- Choose the option that's best for you and then specify a pick-up or delivery location.
- Provide any details necessary and make your payment.
- Collect your CNY.
Compare online currency exchange services
Where's the best place to buy Chinese yuan?
The best place to buy depends on your situation. For example, a foreign currency delivery might be cheaper for someone living in the city than in the country. Or, if you don't know exactly how much RMB you'll need, you might get a smaller amount now and then top up at a currency exchange later if needed.
There are four main options to get Chinese yuan as physical cash.
At a bank
- Can often order money online from your bank
- You may be able to find a wide range of currencies with some banks
- Higher fees in comparison to other options will often apply
- Exchange rates are usually non-competitive compared to smaller currency exchanges
At the airport
- A convenient option for travellers
- You can often order online ahead of time for more favourable rates
- Will usually be one of the most expensive options
What's the exchange rate right now?
Refreshing in: 60s | Mon, Oct 21, 02:29AM GMT
Compare money transfer services
If you've decided a money transfer service is the best option for you, you can use the table below to compare what's out there.
If you want to send money to China, enter the details of the transfer into the calculator to see the rates and fees.
The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.
If you want to transfer money to China, you can learn more about it and what to watch out for in our guide on sending money to China.
Frequently asked questions
International Money Transfer OffersImportant Information*
Transfer to over 99 countries via online banking, phone banking or through an ANZ bank branch.
TorFX guarantees to match any competitor's exchange rate. Conditions apply.
Send money overseas in 30+ currencies with competitive rates for transfer amounts over $2,000.
Global Reach will match any competitor's exchange rates. Conditions apply.
No transfer fee when transferring more than £10,000 or equivalent. Send money in over 130 currencies. No maximum transfer amount.
Ask an Expert