How to buy Central Petroleum shares
Own Central Petroleum shares in just a few minutes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Central Petroleum Limited is an oil & gas e&p business based in Australia. Central Petroleum shares (CTP) are listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX) and all prices are listed in Australian Dollars. Central Petroleum has a trailing 12-month revenue of around $65 million.
How to buy shares in Central Petroleum
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares listed in Australia, you'll need to sign up to a broker with access to the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX). Our table below can help you choose.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, PayPal or debit card.
- Search for Central Petroleum . Find the share by name or ticker symbol: CTP. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Central Petroleum reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At today's price of $0.125, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Central Petroleum . Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
🧪How we chose these brokersFor our Top Picks, we compared our Finder partners using a proprietary algorithm in August 2020. Keep in mind that our top picks may not always be the best for you, and you're encouraged to compare for yourself to find one that works for you. Read our full methodology here to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- Central Petroleum key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Central Petroleum stock a buy or sell?
- Central Petroleum performance over time
- Are Central Petroleum shares over-valued?
- Central Petroleum 's financials
- How volatile are Central Petroleum shares?
- Does Central Petroleum pay a dividend?
- Have Central Petroleum shares ever split?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Central Petroleum 's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Central Petroleum 's share price has had significant positive movement.
Its last market close was $0.125, which is 4.00% up on its pre-crash value of $0.12 and 92.31% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as $0.065.
If you had bought $1,000 worth of Central Petroleum shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth $530.77 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth $961.54.
Central Petroleum share priceUse our graph to track the performance of CTP stocks over time.
Central Petroleum shares at a glance
|52-week range||$0.068 - $0.175|
|50-day moving average||$0.1197|
|200-day moving average||$0.0935|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||$0.007|
Standard brokerage - Australian shares
Share Trading Account Offer
Competitive broker fees on Australian and international shares
- Brokerage - AU shares: From AUD 5 or 0.05%
- Brokerage - US shares: USD 0
- Sign-up process: Instant
- Support - After hours: Yes
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Central Petroleum stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Central Petroleum price performance over time
|1 week (2021-01-11)||-3.85%|
|1 month (2020-12-18)||-3.85%|
|3 months (2020-10-16)||4.17%|
|6 months (2020-07-17)||45.35%|
|1 year (2020-01-17)||-3.85%|
|2 years (2019-01-18)||-24.24%|
|3 years (2018-01-18)||19.05%|
|5 years (2016-01-18)||12.82%|
Is Central Petroleum under- or over-valued?
Valuing Central Petroleum stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Central Petroleum 's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Central Petroleum 's P/E ratio
Central Petroleum 's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 16x. In other words, Central Petroleum shares trade at around 16x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the P/E ratio for the ASX over the 12 months to December 2019 (32.14). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Central Petroleum 's EBITDA
Central Petroleum 's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is $18.6 million (£0.0 million).
The EBITDA is a measure of a Central Petroleum 's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Central Petroleum financials
|Revenue TTM||$65 million|
|Operating margin TTM||4.19%|
|Gross profit TTM||$31.7 million|
|Return on assets TTM||1.04%|
|Return on equity TTM||-2008.38%|
|Market capitalisation||$79.6 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Central Petroleum share dividends
We're not expecting Central Petroleum to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Central Petroleum 's shares ever split?
Central Petroleum 's shares were split on a 1:5 basis on 1 October 2013. So if you had owned 5 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Central Petroleum shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 400% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Central Petroleum shares which in turn could have impacted Central Petroleum 's share price.
Central Petroleum share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Central Petroleum 's shares have ranged in value from as little as $0.068 up to $0.175. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (AU average) beta is 1, while Central Petroleum 's is 1.6656. This would suggest that Central Petroleum 's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Central Petroleum overview
Central Petroleum Limited engages in the development, production, processing, and marketing of hydrocarbons in Australia. It holds interests in various oil and gas properties comprising 181,875 square kilometers of exploration area located in the Amadeus, Southern Georgina, Wiso, and Surat Basins. The company was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Brisbane, Australia.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$51.7
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Australian Fixed Interest Index ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$52.97
Steps to owning and managing Vanguard Ethically Conscious Global Aggregate Bond Index (Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$102.29
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Morningstar Global Technology ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$23.73
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares Global Quality Leaders (Currency Hedged) ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$88.25
Steps to owning and managing ETFS ROBO Global Robotics and Automation ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$16
Steps to owning and managing ETFS FANG+ ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$74.89
Steps to owning and managing ETFS S&P Biotech ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$50.91
Steps to owning and managing ETFS Reliance India Nifty 50 ETF units.
How to buy Central Petroleum units | A$9.43
Steps to owning and managing BetaShares India Quality ETF units.
Ask an Expert