How to buy Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares | $3.11
Own Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares in just a few minutes.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Inc is a biotechnology business with stocks listed in the US. Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares (CPRX) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$3.11 – a decrease of 8.26% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Catalyst Pharmaceuticals
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Catalyst Pharmaceuticals. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: CPRX. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Catalyst Pharmaceuticals reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$3.11, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Catalyst Pharmaceuticals key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Catalyst Pharmaceuticals stock a buy or sell?
- Catalyst Pharmaceuticals performance over time
- Can I short Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares?
- Are Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares over-valued?
- Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's financials
- How volatile are Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares?
- Does Catalyst Pharmaceuticals pay a dividend?
- Other common questions
How has coronavirus impacted Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's share price?
Since the stock market crash in March caused by coronavirus, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's share price has had significant negative movement.
Its last market close was US$3.11, which is 40.31% down on its pre-crash value of US$5.21 and 21.96% up on the lowest point reached during the March crash when the shares fell as low as US$2.55.
If you had bought US$1,000 worth of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares at the start of February 2020, those shares would have been worth US$743.47 at the bottom of the March crash, and if you held on to them, then as of the last market close they'd be worth US$738.72.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals share priceUse our graph to track the performance of CPRX stocks over time.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$3.11|
|52-week range||USD$2.55 - USD$6.64|
|50-day moving average||USD$3.4829|
|200-day moving average||USD$4.1565|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$0.389|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Catalyst Pharmaceuticals stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-14)||-7.72%|
|1 month (2020-08-24)||-6.89%|
|3 months (2020-06-20)||N/A|
|6 months (2020-03-23)||-0.64%|
|1 year (2019-09-20)||-53.02%|
|2 years (2018-09-21)||-1.27%|
|3 years (2017-09-21)||27.46%|
|5 years (2015-09-21)||-24.70%|
Is Catalyst Pharmaceuticals under- or over-valued?
Valuing Catalyst Pharmaceuticals stock is incredibly difficult, and any metric has to be viewed as part of a bigger picture of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's overall performance. However, analysts commonly use some key metrics to help gauge the value of a stock.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's P/E ratio
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's current share price divided by its per-share earnings (EPS) over a 12-month period gives a "trailing price/earnings ratio" of roughly 9x. In other words, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares trade at around 9x recent earnings.
That's relatively low compared to, say, the trailing 12-month P/E ratio for the NASDAQ 100 at the end of 2019 (27.29). The low P/E ratio could mean that investors are pessimistic about the outlook for the shares or simply that they're under-valued.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's EBITDA
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation) is US$42.9 million (£0.0 million).
The EBITDA is a measure of a Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's overall financial performance and is widely used to measure a its profitability.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals financials
|Revenue TTM||US$119.8 million|
|Operating margin TTM||35.77%|
|Gross profit TTM||US$87.5 million|
|Return on assets TTM||25.54%|
|Return on equity TTM||47.87%|
|Market capitalisation||US$360.8 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares
There are currently 12.1 million Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares held short by investors – that's known as Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's "short interest". This figure is 12.9% down from 13.9 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares can be evaluated.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares traded daily (recently around 2.7 million). Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's SIR currently stands at 4.56. In other words for every 100,000 Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares traded daily on the market, roughly 4560 shares are currently held short.
However Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares, or, against the total number of tradable Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's short interest could be expressed as 0.12% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares in existence, roughly 120 shares are currently held short) or 0.1307% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Catalyst Pharmaceuticals shares, roughly 131 shares are currently held short).
Such a low SIR usually points to an optimistic outlook for the share price, with fewer people currently willing to bet against Catalyst Pharmaceuticals.
Find out more about how you can short Catalyst Pharmaceuticals stock.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals share dividends
We're not expecting Catalyst Pharmaceuticals to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$2.55 up to US$6.64. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's is 1.5379. This would suggest that Catalyst Pharmaceuticals's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals overview
Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Inc., a biopharmaceutical company, focuses on developing and commercializing therapies for people with rare debilitating, chronic neuromuscular, and neurological diseases in the United States. It offers Firdapse, a proprietary form of amifampridine phosphate for the treatment of patients with lambert-eaton myasthenic syndrome. The company also develops Firdapse, which is in various clinical trials for the treatment of patients with congenital myasthenic syndrome, anti-MuSK antibody positive myasthenia gravis, and spinal muscular atrophy type 3. Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. has license agreements with BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc.; and collaboration and license agreement with Endo Ventures Limited for the development and commercialization of generic Sabril tablets. The company was formerly known as Catalyst Pharmaceutical Partners, Inc. and changed its name to Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in May 2015. Catalyst Pharmaceuticals, Inc. was founded in 2002 and is based in Coral Gables, Florida.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert