How to buy Cara Therapeutics shares | $12.4
Own Cara Therapeutics shares in just a few minutes.
Cara Therapeutics, Inc is a biotechnology business with stocks listed in the US. Cara Therapeutics shares (CARA) are listed on the NASDAQ and all prices are listed in US Dollars. Its last market close was US$12.4 – a decrease of 12.43% over the previous week.
How to buy shares in Cara Therapeutics
- Compare share trading platforms. To buy shares in a US company from Australia you'll need to find a trading platform that offers access to US stock markets. If you're just starting out, look for a platform with low brokerage and foreign exchange fees.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and tax file number. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Cara Therapeutics. Find the share by name or ticker symbol: CARA. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy today with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Cara Therapeutics reaches your desired price. To spread out your risk, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. At last close price of US$12.4, weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimise risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Cara Therapeutics, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of Cara Therapeutics. Optimise your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
What's in this guide?
- Cara Therapeutics key stats
- Compare share trading platforms
- Is Cara Therapeutics stock a buy or sell?
- Cara Therapeutics performance over time
- Can I short Cara Therapeutics shares?
- Cara Therapeutics's financials
- How volatile are Cara Therapeutics shares?
- Does Cara Therapeutics pay a dividend?
- Have Cara Therapeutics shares ever split?
- Other common questions
Cara Therapeutics share priceUse our graph to track the performance of CARA stocks over time.
Cara Therapeutics shares at a glance
|Latest market close||USD$12.4|
|52-week range||USD$8.88 - USD$26.67|
|50-day moving average||USD$15.6113|
|200-day moving average||USD$15.372|
|Dividend yield||N/A (0%)|
|Earnings per share (TTM)||USD$-2.166|
Standard brokerage - US shares
Get $0 brokerage on US stocks with trades as little as $50 when you join the world’s biggest social trading network.
- $0 brokerage for US stocks
- Trades starting from $50
- Fractional shares
- Copy top traders
Important: Share trading carries risk of capital loss.
Compare share trading platforms
Is it a good time to buy Cara Therapeutics stock?
The technical analysis gauge below displays real-time ratings for the timeframes you select. This is not a recommendation, however. It represents a technical analysis based on the most popular technical indicators: Moving Averages, Oscillators and Pivots. Finder might not concur and takes no responsibility.
Cara Therapeutics price performance over time
|1 week (2020-09-23)||-9.69%|
|1 month (2020-08-28)||-19.32%|
|3 months (2020-06-30)||-27.49%|
|6 months (2020-03-30)||-6.49%|
|1 year (2019-09-30)||-32.17%|
|2 years (2018-09-28)||-48.23%|
|3 years (2017-09-29)||-9.42%|
|5 years (2015-09-30)||-13.23%|
Cara Therapeutics financials
|Revenue TTM||US$24 million|
|Gross profit TTM||US$-93,934,000|
|Return on assets TTM||-47.25%|
|Return on equity TTM||-96.01%|
|Market capitalisation||US$625.5 million|
TTM: trailing 12 months
Shorting Cara Therapeutics shares
There are currently 3.8 million Cara Therapeutics shares held short by investors – that's known as Cara Therapeutics's "short interest". This figure is 2.7% up from 3.7 million last month.
There are a few different ways that this level of interest in shorting Cara Therapeutics shares can be evaluated.
Cara Therapeutics's "short interest ratio" (SIR)
Cara Therapeutics's "short interest ratio" (SIR) is the quantity of Cara Therapeutics shares currently shorted divided by the average quantity of Cara Therapeutics shares traded daily (recently around 341361.23748863). Cara Therapeutics's SIR currently stands at 10.99. In other words for every 100,000 Cara Therapeutics shares traded daily on the market, roughly 10990 shares are currently held short.
However Cara Therapeutics's short interest can also be evaluated against the total number of Cara Therapeutics shares, or, against the total number of tradable Cara Therapeutics shares (the shares that aren't held by "insiders" or major long-term shareholders – also known as the "float"). In this case Cara Therapeutics's short interest could be expressed as 0.08% of the outstanding shares (for every 100,000 Cara Therapeutics shares in existence, roughly 80 shares are currently held short) or 0.0914% of the tradable shares (for every 100,000 tradable Cara Therapeutics shares, roughly 91 shares are currently held short).
A SIR above 10% would generally be considered pretty high, pointing to a potentially pessimistic outlook for the share price and a discouraging interest in betting against Cara Therapeutics.
Find out more about how you can short Cara Therapeutics stock.
Cara Therapeutics share dividends
We're not expecting Cara Therapeutics to pay a dividend over the next 12 months.
Have Cara Therapeutics's shares ever split?
Cara Therapeutics's shares were split on a 1:2 basis on 15 January 2014. So if you had owned 2 shares the day before before the split, the next day you'd have owned 1 share. This wouldn't directly have changed the overall worth of your Cara Therapeutics shares – just the quantity. However, indirectly, the new 100% higher share price could have impacted the market appetite for Cara Therapeutics shares which in turn could have impacted Cara Therapeutics's share price.
Cara Therapeutics share price volatility
Over the last 12 months, Cara Therapeutics's shares have ranged in value from as little as US$8.88 up to US$26.67. A popular way to gauge a stock's volatility is its "beta".
Beta is a measure of a share's volatility in relation to the market. The market (NASDAQ average) beta is 1, while Cara Therapeutics's is 1.7012. This would suggest that Cara Therapeutics's shares are more volatile than the average for this exchange and represent, relatively-speaking, a higher risk (but potentially also market-beating returns).
Cara Therapeutics overview
Cara Therapeutics, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, focuses on developing and commercializing chemical entities with a primary focus on pruritus and pain by selectively targeting kappa opioid receptors in the United States. The company is developing product candidates that target the body's peripheral nervous system and immune cells. Its lead product candidate includes KORSUVA (CR845/ difelikefalin) injection, which is in Phase III clinical trial for the treatment of patients with moderate-to-severe chronic kidney disease-associated pruritus (CKD-aP) undergoing hemodialysis. The company is also developing Oral KORSUVA (CR845/difelikefalin), which has completed Phase II clinical trial for the treatment of pruritus in stage III-V CKD patients; in Phase II clinical trial for treating pruritus chronic liver disease; and in Phase II clinical trial for the treatment of pruritus associated with atopic dermatitis. In addition, it is developing CR845/difelikefalin Injection, which has completed Phase II/III clinical trial for the treatment of acute post-operative pain. The company has license agreements with Maruishi Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd to develop, manufacture, and commercialize drug products containing CR845/difelikefalin for acute pain and uremic pruritus in Japan; and Chong Kun Dang Pharmaceutical Corporation to develop, manufacture, and commercialize drug products containing CR845/difelikefalin in South Korea. Cara Therapeutics, Inc. was founded in 2004 and is headquartered in Stamford, Connecticut.
Frequently asked questions
Ask an Expert